Autopsy Reverse streak v dees. Continues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, 5dg C, cup of tea, think the is sun trying to peek through the clouds.

Who had trouble sleeping ? C'mon, hands up.

Eagles ? All the money in the world, billion $ stadium, recent flag, still some p'ship players, beaten by Carlton on home turf by over 100 points.
My one and only small comfort.
Spoon is their's or ours. Be some draft wheeling and dealing happening September.

Dees my flag pick pre-season with their best side on the park.
Only for Chom mate. Saw nothing from us or Melbourne that surprised me, somewhat broken hearted for this kid who has done it the hard way now having to dig deep and go again through serious rehab.

I think, and hope, that it is now time to get a bit more serious about this team and who is a walk up start. Not in the play every kid sense that some believe is coming but get every fit, talented player in the team even if we have to shuffle a bit. Put say Ford in the team and push Zurhaar up the ground to provide mid presence and piss off a player that does nothing in there. This also leaves room for Cunnington to play forward as planned. Get Bergman in and give him a decent go if fit, no reason Perez can't contribute the same as what Hall has been this year. A small handful of seniors are showing true grit like JZ and deserve massive respect.

Simply too many blokes who can’t execute basic skills on a regular basis.

I’m talking hitting 20-25m passes under no pressure. Holding tackles. Leading at the ball carrier. Not running forward before we actually have possession. Killing 1v1 defensive contests. Leading at the ball carrier. Holding marks under no pressure. Playing on with no options. Leading at the ball carrier.

McDonald. Hall. Taylor. Scott. Howe…..

I’d list Turner but he never actually gets the ball.

It burns us.

Every. *******. Week.
The bolded bit is genuinely funny. Humour in the face of disaster. Very good.

Well, 5dg C, cup of tea, think the is sun trying to peek through the clouds.

Who had trouble sleeping ? C'mon, hands up.

Eagles ? All the money in the world, billion $ stadium, recent flag, still some p'ship players, beaten by Carlton on home turf by over 100 points.
My one and only small comfort.
Spoon is their's or ours. Be some draft wheeling and dealing happening September.

Dees my flag pick pre-season with their best side on the park.
Me. I feel so devastated for Charlie. I couldnt get him out of my head. I am more upset about that than the result TBH.

We broke even at the clearances, which sounds strange in a 100 point loss but in modern football isn't really that surprising because scoring is generally from turnovers. Our problem was they would win the ball back and work through our zone with ease. Not in that haphazard style the good teams work the ball forward to disrupt the opposition defence though - they just kicked the ball around like our players weren't even there. We would've been better off just taking an opponent each. I'm not encouraging this because that's not a recipe for success in 2023, more just illustrating how far off it we are. Our inability to play the modern game has us on the level of two clubs who stubbornly refuse to play the modern game (West Coast and Fremantle) and another who are actively trying to lose but somehow still have fierce competition for the wooden spoon (Hawthorn). The only alibi I can give is that we struggled with the extra width of the ground last night, but that's actually not encouraging when the championship game is played there every year unless a virus spreads around the world and all that weird stuff goes on.

A few thoughts on individual players...
McDonald - That moment when he was taken down in front of goals was truly embarrassing. We should drop him and make a statement about standards. We won't of course, but we should.
Ziebell - Should probably still be the captain the way he is playing.
McKay - Look I get it. You're in this for the money and the social life and you're waiting for the big contract offers to come flooding in from other clubs at the end of the year. That's fine. The problem is you're an idiot. You actually have to play reasonable football for those offers to remain on the table.

I don't know what the answers are but we just have to trust that Clarko does.

Me. I feel so devastated for Charlie. I couldnt get him out of my head. I am more upset about that than the result TBH.
100%.

At least the result on the scoreboard means that we've fast-tracked our way to the tipping point at the selection table.

I'd sooner watch 10 losses like last nights than watch that Comben incident again.

Only for Chom mate. Saw nothing from us or Melbourne that surprised me, somewhat broken hearted for this kid who has done it the hard way now having to dig deep and go again through serious rehab.

I think, and hope, that it is now time to get a bit more serious about this team and who is a walk up start. Not in the play every kid sense that some believe is coming but get every fit, talented player in the team even if we have to shuffle a bit. Put say Ford in the team and push Zurhaar up the ground to provide mid presence and piss off a player that does nothing in there. This also leaves room for Cunnington to play forward as planned. Get Bergman in and give him a decent go if fit, no reason Perez can't contribute the same as what Hall has been this year. A small handful of seniors are showing true grit like JZ and deserve massive respect.
JZ, Goldy, Cunners. Shinboners. Guys like Corr and Hall are taking the piss.

Coming in peace, and I don’t want to sound patronising as I used to hate reading those twats when we were in your position. But the tides will eventually turn. I am sure you will want get all the youth into the team, but I hope you keep Ziebell around. Some of his spoils and efforts on the wing with the side down 10+ goals were great to see. Heart and soul type of player who needs to be there to usher the next generation through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it matters. He’s rebuilding and experimenting and it’s important that the coaches are ckear-eyed about what and who works and what and who doesn’t. Fans are allowed to overreact and throw their hands up and say it’s all irredeemable, but we‘ve got him and his experience in at this very low ebb so he won’t do that.

btw if anyone has taken his comments from an article or tweets I’d recommend watching the press conference. I find them and him reassuring.
Same.

I love it actually.

he speaks well and he seems to know exactly where we are and isn't panicking. If he has a picture in his mind of where we need to be and a pathway to get there then good. I get that impression from him.

There's a trick to the way he speaks. I've done it at fires when there are people there spinning out and worrying what will happen. Even in potentially the worst situations if you talk that way and sound like you have a way out of the situation people calm down and listen, then act on what you recommend. Its not something you can do if you don't know what your plan is tho, people pick up on that uncertainty, so based on that I think he's got a plan.

I think we're worse than his best case scenario but within his worst case scenario.

Honestly, did any Melbourne player actually comfort Charlie on his way out? Because if they didn't that pretty much shows how much respect they have for us.
That's a bit unfair, a few of the ones in the area actually did.

Didn't stop them going to town on us a few minutes later, though. :)

Getting paid to go on television and state the obvious. Where do I sign up?
He’s everything that’s wrong with football journalism.

Passing off surface level analysis as ground breaking investigation.

campaigner.

Who is football royalty called “Head”?

Ronald?

Grimace?
3c871d38-9284-4e17-bb33-a0b138450c34-large9x16_Beavis_and_Butthead_titlecard.png

They don’t look fit enough for AFL. Literally looked like bush league players. It’s bloody depressing.
It’s not so much fitness, but what’s between the ears.

Our blokes either don’t have the footy IQ or confidence to be proactive on the field, they are always a step behind.

A lot of it comes from our shit ball handling skills, because if blokes instinctively take off they know there is a big chance of a fumble and getting burnt the other way.

Clarko actually needs to ingrain in them that’s it’s ok to get burnt if you are proactively trying to make the play, to the point where they will instinctively go and not hesitate. Sheezel is the perfect example, he doesn’t react he is already proactively positioning himself where he thinks the ball will be, while most of the others are waiting to see where the ball will go.

A lot of it is confidence in your teammate. Melbourne players were prepared to run and make space because they were sure 90% of the time they would be rewarded.

It’s the same when you run defensively, you just have to go and try and proactively get into a position where the play will end up. If you wait for it to unfold you will always be a step behind and look unfit and lazy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back