Review Of Our Umps In O9 GF

Remove this Banner Ad

BuddyLover

Debutant
Apr 24, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well to my eye there were only four right umpires getting their decisions right, they were the boundaries. Our Field were just under standard and our Goals were ok probably just above standard.

I saw this because the consistency was quite pathetic.

In the GF I say 5 deliberate bounds free kicks two were paid. 1 from Ryan and McBurney.

Many people including me thought that the 4th Quarter was well umpired.

However in my regard No is the answer!.

Schnider 13 for saints was badly held in the attacking fifty of the saint’s forward-line. Ryan who at the time was in-charge blew then said no, did that method again and then called play on. That then in my eyes was the pressure of the GF sinking in. He umpired the worst of the 3 of them. He had no guts to pay a decision unlike McLaren, McBurney, Raza or McInerney would (e.t.c.)

As the talk has been on Mark Canning for the poor decision making that he has made, in my eyes he was not the one to blame. This also was a very tough call with him not knowing the decision and also being in the wrong position. I blame the Field umpires. This is due to them having a clear view of the post and kick of Tom Hawkins that supposably hit it. Brett Rosebury N.O 1 in the AFL (STARTED), was their and he said to the Goalie, "Al-Clear mate". This was quite a blew by him. He actually told the umpire that he saw it was a clear goal with Mark Canning now putting the two fingers up then down for the symbol of 6-points.

Anyway well done to David Dixon for a very good year with an unshaved GF.

Going through the rating of each umpire from watching the GF twice.

Field
McBurney- Best Of the field for shaw, has guts and will go close next year, 9/10
Rosebury- 2nd best, rarely talks to the players to why they gave the fee kick away, also is pressured in big games, 5/10
Ryan- No best was a shocker. He will never ever umpire a GF again because he was a disgrace to the AFL, poor decisions, and pressure beating him and also has no guts to pay any decisions in highlighted big games. 2/10

Goal
Canning- Good umpire, he is well liked in the AFLUA, and also don't worry about the "wrong decision" it wasn't your fault. 9/10
Dixon- Best on Ground, very well positioned, 10/10

Boundary
Coote- Can't through that far, However good athlete 8/10
Thomspon- Very Good in first GF, 10/10
Foster- Great umpire- 10/10
Wilson- Very tired after the game with supposed back problems 9/10

Well done and GO HAWKS FOR 2010!

Of course it is canning's fault he didn't get the call right.

He started in a shitty position and didn't try to correct it until after the ball hit the post.

nothing to do with the field umpire, if canning wasn't sure then he should check not guess.

deliberate OOB was paid softly i think. the 2 that were paid were the most blatant.

you give all the boundaries great scores, ignoring the short throws and even the necessary 2nd throws.

you criticise rosebury because he doesn't talk enough, despite him missing very few at all. Who cares if he doesn't cite the law and the paragraph to the players?!

you have absolutely no effing idea.:thumbsdown:

Of course it is canning's fault he didn't get the call right.

He started in a shitty position and didn't try to correct it until after the ball hit the post.

nothing to do with the field umpire, if canning wasn't sure then he should check not guess.

deliberate OOB was paid softly i think. the 2 that were paid were the most blatant.

you give all the boundaries great scores, ignoring the short throws and even the necessary 2nd throws.

you criticise rosebury because he doesn't talk enough, despite him missing very few at all. Who cares if he doesn't cite the law and the paragraph to the players?!

you have absolutely no effing idea.:thumbsdown:

Well mate you havn't read my post that well.

You are now the effing person who has no idea.

This is simply bacuse I do mention the throw-ins and also I gave my rating ajusted on that.

2nd you say that who cares if Rosebury doesn't communicate with the players well, umm.. I think Australia and Jeff.G and Us e.t.c care! We want to know why this free kick was payed. He rarely does this.

There it is.

Now you go sit on your sofa and feel the imbarrassment you have given yourself.

:)

Thought Ryan and Rosebury umpired well, 9/10 each. Thought McBurney was ok. Seemed to be the one at every controversial contest, 8/10.

Boundaries did their job. 10/10 for all other than Thomson with the recalled throw in, 9.9/10.;)

Dixon was good in the goals, 10/10. Canning not so, 0/10. It was a hard call but his positioning before and after was poor and very slow. Don't think he was ready at all for the smother as he didn't seem to move until well after the kick.

as i have said before the umpiring in the last quarter was sensational with the exception of the synder incident..he was held badly.

the other poor decision was the reversed free in the goal square..thats shit especiallyw hen goals are at a premium

but i loved the wayt hey didnt pay any soft bullshit frees in the last quarter..

Had no issues with any decision paid all day, Haven't had a thorough review of the game although.

Thought McBurney was outstanding as per usual. (9/10)
Shaun Ryan was great (8/10)
Rosbury was at the same level hes been all season (8/10)

BuddyLover, suggesting that Shaun Ryan will never umpire another GF again is completely flawed and I'm seriously starting too assume you've never umpired a game of your life, let alone understand what umpiring is all about

Had no issues with any decision paid all day, Haven't had a thorough review of the game although.

Thought McBurney was outstanding as per usual. (9/10)
Shaun Ryan was great (8/10)
Rosbury was at the same level hes been all season (8/10)

BuddyLover, suggesting that Shaun Ryan will never umpire another GF again is completely flawed and I'm seriously starting too assume you've never umpired a game of your life, let alone understand what umpiring is all about
Lets Face it.

This year Ryan was Below standed with decisions that were not paid being crucial.

He is over-rated.

Dlyza go over tapes and see his decision-making which in my view was very poor. Scared to pay a free???

Always remember last year with him giving a free against Roughead and Lance which was absolute F... crap!

Now I'm wondering, have you umpired>?

Lets Face it.

This year Ryan was Below standed with decisions that were not paid being crucial.

He is over-rated.

Dlyza go over tapes and see his decision-making which in my view was very poor. Scared to pay a free???

Always remember last year with him giving a free against Roughead and Lance which was absolute F... crap!

Now I'm wondering, have you umpired>?

Shaun Ryan had 3 unwarranted in last years grandfinal... Not Idea, yet not enough to classify him as a "shocker" which I guess is expected from some buyest supporter that holds a grudge against him. I watched his season unfold last year, and I said this bloke will umpire 10 senior grand finals (Ambitious I know, but he's done 2 on the trot now).

Don't answer my question with exactly the same question I asked you. You look like a tool. And if you want to see my umpiring experience, I'll happily show you my records, achievements, awards, experience and qualifications.

I doubt he was "scared at paying freekicks", it was more the case of "If the players want to play footy, let them play footy and pay the majors"

Shaun Ryan had 3 unwarranted in last years grandfinal... Not Idea, yet not enough to classify him as a "shocker" which I guess is expected from some buyest supporter that holds a grudge against him. I watched his season unfold last year, and I said this bloke will umpire 10 senior grand finals (Ambitious I know, but he's done 2 on the trot now).

Don't answer my question with exactly the same question I asked you. You look like a tool. And if you want to see my umpiring experience, I'll happily show you my records, achievements, awards, experience and qualifications.

I doubt he was "scared at paying freekicks", it was more the case of "If the players want to play footy, let them play footy and pay the majors"

Dylza, I'm of the belief they all did their job yesterday and apart from the two dodgy decisions (poster and the demonstrative free), the game was well controlled, well umpired and the players got on with their job.
Ignore the ill informed comments mate, all they do is try to get under your skin.:thumbsu:

Buddylover, since we were from the same comp, I'll give you a tip. You're embarrasing yourself. Not sure why you're defending the scoring error by the goalie - it's their cardinal sin and you as a goalie should know that. I reckon all 3 fieldies did a great job, Rosebury and Ryan possibly a tad better than Jack but on the whole was a good day out for them. Can't comment on the boundaries as it's not my expertise and didn't see enough of them.

Dylza, I'm of the belief they all did their job yesterday and apart from the two dodgy decisions (poster and the demonstrative free), the game was well controlled, well umpired and the players got on with their job.
Ignore the ill informed comments mate, all they do is try to get under your skin.:thumbsu:

I don't mind people commenting on umpires, critizing on grounds where they were wrong, provided they are willing to listen to what others have to say and to accept why that umpire believed it was correct.

However, What gets to me in these forums, is seeing grandstand experts try and preach garbage by making ill informed statements claiming to 'know what umpiring is all about', when they have NFI.

Buddylover falls under this category, as he has much idea about Umpiring, as Jeff Kennett has an idea about AFL.

I don't mind people commenting on umpires, critizing on grounds where they were wrong, provided they are willing to listen to what others have to say and to accept why that umpire believed it was correct.

However, What gets to me in these forums, is seeing grandstand experts try and preach garbage by making ill informed statements claiming to 'know what umpiring is all about', when they have NFI.

Buddylover falls under this category, as he has much idea about Umpiring, as Jeff Kennett has an idea about AFL.

Agreed mate! I hate when people come on here and try to justify their ill informed and one eyed opinions by spruicking bullsh*t on this forum!:thumbsu:

Did the right team win by the right amount? I think given how much St Kilda butchered their shots at goal and wasted their chances, I think Geelong winning by 2 goals (with a goal on the final siren) was about correct... The priorities of the umpires were right - they at least gave the player going in for the ball some opportunity to dispose of it. You could tell what was going to be paid as a ball up, play on or holding the ball all day.

The deliberate out of bounds were blatent and correct paid i thought.

The Schnider tackle should have been paid (I think it was the only big miss by the fieldies all day).

The ball hitting the post from Hawkins (after the 3rd greatest grand final smother - after Spalding and Chick (in that order)) was a howler, but I doubt that any of the field, boundary or goal umpires saw or heard the ball hit the post...

As for the Milburn incident, everyone seems to forget that it was Darren Milburn and that a spray and obscene gesturing is part of his regular game kit. An action where he was indicating that it was the "mistake number 2" to an umpire with his fingers deserves penalising!

Overall even the St Kilda fans are saying it was their players wasting their opportunities rather than the umpires who had the biggest influence on the game and from an umpiring point of view in a close grand final, that is a very good result...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well to my eye there were only four right umpires getting their decisions right, they were the boundaries. Our Field were just under standard and our Goals were ok probably just above standard.

I saw this because the consistency was quite pathetic.

In the GF I say 5 deliberate bounds free kicks two were paid. 1 from Ryan and McBurney.

Many people including me thought that the 4th Quarter was well umpired.

However in my regard No is the answer!.

Schnider 13 for saints was badly held in the attacking fifty of the saint’s forward-line. Ryan who at the time was in-charge blew then said no, did that method again and then called play on. That then in my eyes was the pressure of the GF sinking in. He umpired the worst of the 3 of them. He had no guts to pay a decision unlike McLaren, McBurney, Raza or McInerney would (e.t.c.)

As the talk has been on Mark Canning for the poor decision making that he has made, in my eyes he was not the one to blame. This also was a very tough call with him not knowing the decision and also being in the wrong position. I blame the Field umpires. This is due to them having a clear view of the post and kick of Tom Hawkins that supposably hit it. Brett Rosebury N.O 1 in the AFL (STARTED), was their and he said to the Goalie, "Al-Clear mate". This was quite a blew by him. He actually told the umpire that he saw it was a clear goal with Mark Canning now putting the two fingers up then down for the symbol of 6-points.

Anyway well done to David Dixon for a very good year with an unshaved GF.

Going through the rating of each umpire from watching the GF twice.

Field
McBurney- Best Of the field for shaw, has guts and will go close next year, 9/10
Rosebury- 2nd best, rarely talks to the players to why they gave the fee kick away, also is pressured in big games, 5/10
Ryan- No best was a shocker. He will never ever umpire a GF again because he was a disgrace to the AFL, poor decisions, and pressure beating him and also has no guts to pay any decisions in highlighted big games. 2/10

Goal
Canning- Good umpire, he is well liked in the AFLUA, and also don't worry about the "wrong decision" it wasn't your fault. 9/10
Dixon- Best on Ground, very well positioned, 10/10

Boundary
Coote- Can't through that far, However good athlete 8/10
Thomspon- Very Good in first GF, 10/10
Foster- Great umpire- 10/10
Wilson- Very tired after the game with supposed back problems 9/10

Well done and GO HAWKS FOR 2010!

I hope you have a 5 year old son because I'm guessing he wrote this. What a disgusting summary.

You have given a goal umpire a rating of 9/10 after making a scoring error. Enough said really.

Please dont embarrass yourself next season by doing these awful reviews.

I was so Imbarrassed I was going to avoid commenting further. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that a scoring error by a goal umpire meriting a 9/10 was the result of a crude practical joke.

As for the Milburn incident, everyone seems to forget that it was Darren Milburn and that a spray and obscene gesturing is part of his regular game kit. An action where he was indicating that it was the "mistake number 2" to an umpire with his fingers deserves penalising!

I agree that Milburn has a bad habit of remonstrating with umpires and he deserved a free paid against him but it begs the question:

Since the goal had been kicked and signalled why wasn't the free paid from the centre square?

If the answer to the above is because that's where the infringement occurred then lets play hypotheticals;
If Mooney remonstrated with an umpire or opponent at that same time would a free kick be paid in StKilda's defensive goalsquare?....I doubt it.

For me this penalty is too harsh, sure pay a free kick from the centre square, that's punishment enough and would make any player shut up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Of Our Umps In O9 GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back