Past Rhan Hooper (2006-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rhan Hooper

I can't help thinking what has happened to Hooper has in fact helped him. Yes, he did miss 2 months, but he has since been working his butt off, and it seems to me his fitness and skills are well above what it would have been if he had taken the normal path.

In fact, the rate of Hooper's improvement makes me wonder whether first and second year players might not be better off going through a similar process. Obviously you don't want them walking out on the club, but maybe an extended preseason with a break in the middle is a better way to fast track a young player's development.
</p>
Hooper was always an athlete first and footballer second. Remember that his beep test was 14 something and his obversely got some agility.

Link

Hooper gets two weeks for striking

August 13, 2007
EXCITING Brisbane forward Rhan Hooper has been hit with a two-match AFL suspension after being charged with striking Hawthorn's Rick Ladson.
Hooper was charged with making high contact at high impact on Ladson during the first quarter of Saturday's match at the MCG.
He can accept a two-match ban, or contest the charge at the tribunal tomorrow and risk a three-match sanction.

hooperbn0.jpg

Are those cannons i can see on Rhan?

I see it but i dont believe it... :eek:

Imagine 6 months in the gym.

His tackling will be even more brutal.

Link

Lions to contest Hooper charge

9:45 AM Tue 14 August, 2007
for lions.com.au

The Vodafone Brisbane Lions have informed the AFL they will be travelling to Melbourne to contest Rhan Hooper’s striking charge at the AFL Tribunal tonight.

Hooper was charged with striking Rick Ladson of Hawthorn during the first quarter of the Round 19 match between the Brisbane Lions and Hawthorn at the MCG on Saturday August 11 2007.
The incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), high impact (three points) and high contact (two points). This is a total of seven activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Four offence, drawing 325 demerit points and a three-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record.

The Tribunal will sit tonight from 5pm at Telstra Dome.

hooperbq8.jpg

Link

Brisbane will be without in-form midfielder Rhan Hooper for the remainder of the home and away season after the AFL tribunal found the 19-year-old guilty of striking Hawthorn’s Rick Ladson.

Hooper was originally handed a two-match ban by the Match Review Panel, but the Lions elected to contest the charge claiming that contact was accidental.

Hooper has been outstanding form for Brisbane in the last month averaging 17 disposals and kicking eight goals.

Link

The Lions unsuccessfully argued that Hooper's contact with the face of Hawks utility Rick Ladson was accidental.

Hooper would have received a two-match ban with an early plea, but his season is now in peril.

The Lions are are eighth, leading three teams on nine and a half wins.

After Ladson tackled him from behind, Hooper punched the ball forward and Hawthorn's Luke Hodge took possession during their match on Saturday at the MCG.

As Hooper tried to stop Hodge, Ladson grabbed him again and the young Lion swung around.

His arm caught Ladson in the face and the Hawk was forced to leave the field with a cut under his eye.

The video evidence was inconclusive and Hooper testified he had no recollection of making contact with Ladson.

"He (Hooper) has been swung around like a rag doll," Hooper's advocate Bert Gaudion told the tribunal.

Too early for him to commence pre-season. ;)
Obviously missed a fair chunk last pre-season.
An old Monty Python joke comes to mind.......... Rhan marching by himself up & down the square!!

On a serious note lets hope Rhan is happy at where he is at.
Really is placing himself in the position to become an integral part of the side & the future.

Link

Hooper owes Lions plenty

Article from:
Andrew Hamilton
August 18, 2007 12:00am

RHAN Hooper should prepare himself for the toughest summer of his life.
He must emerge in February fitter and stronger and with an unbending determination to play every game in 2008 because Hooper's debt to the Lions is growing. He is again not playing when he should be and when Brisbane desperately need him.
He would have terrorised Sydney. The Swans already depleted defence just didn't have a suitable match-up.
Hooper's high contact on Rick Ladson wasn't premeditated, but it was careless.
Brisbane stuck by their man, even going to Melbourne to fight the charge at the tribunal and they should be applauded for that. It didn't work and now Hooper will miss three matches not two, if the Lions don't win enough games without him, his season is over.
It didn't start until round 10 because he walked out on the club over summer and missed the pre-season. As a second year player, Hooper will come off his automatic two-year contract at the end of this season and, given the glimpses he's shown, his manager would have been within his rights to demand a juicy new contract.
But Hooper has been unavailable for 11 games this season, half the home and away season, because he was either battling to regain fitness after his summer holiday or was suspended.
Brisbane, will be equally within its rights to play hard ball. Hooper may one day be worthy of a big contract, because he is a talented player, of that there is no doubt.
He has the rare combination of pace and endurance and also has a trait not always shared by small forwards, and that is a willingness to chase and tackle.
What he doesn't share with the majority of his team mates is a willingness to help the club promote itself.
The media and marketing department would love to get the local product out there in the public eye, but Hooper flatly refuses their requests. At the moment he owes Brisbane, not the other way around.
And now, when Brisbane must get itself back amongst the points to secure a finals berth, Hooper will be at home in Ipswich watching from the couch.
Other Lions have been suspended before, Jamie Charman and Jonathan Brown both had a period as young players where their discipline sometimes faltered.
But the same pair are peerless on the training track and work tirelessly to promote the club.
At the moment, neither can be said of Hooper.

hooperyu4.jpg

Already catching the Umpire's eyes with single votes for his tackling pressure and ability to find and use the ball in the Wins over the Eagles in Round 14 and the Kangaroos in round 18

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Tigers in Lions' den
Article from:
Mark Stevens
October 10, 2007 12:00am

RICHMOND yesterday stepped up its campaign to lure Brisbane Lions speedster Rhan Hooper with senior club officials visiting Ipswich to talk to him.
The hit-and-run visit was headed by coach Terry Wallace. Wallace, assistant coach Craig McRae, a triple Brisbane premiership player, and Tigers utility Richard Tamblyn (Tambling?) met Hooper in Ipswich last night.
It's understood the Tigers are prepared to offer the out-of-contract Hooper $500,000 over three years.
Brisbane is expected to meet with Hooper on Friday but because of salary cap restrictions the Lions will struggle to match Richmond's monetary package.

hooperld4.jpg

Link

Richmond football director Greg Miller flew to Brisbane last night to talk to small forward Rhan Hooper about a shift to Punt Road.

Piss off Richmond. Develop your own players!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

It seems to me that Richmond's offer is a good way for everybody to lose. Richmond may lure him, but if they are paying excessive money to do so then it is to their own disadvantage. The Lions would obviously lose if he departed. I suppose Hooper would be happy being paid a shitload of money, but it's not necessarily a good thing for a young fella, he's got to relocate to another city, and he would be playing for a team that is struggling.

Just bugger off Richmond, and everyone will be better off:thumbsu:

Just about every year (even in the Fitzroy days) Richmond have tried to poach a player/s from us. Bloody parasites! Really p!sses you off. Find and develop your own players - maybe it is not players you should be looking for but coaching/recruiting staff instead.

He wont go.

If he had issues this year with family etc and living in a big city he would hardly want to move to Melbourne.

And why he would want to play for that rabble at Punt road is beyond me.

He wouldnt wanna go after the faith Bris showed in him after he walked out, they could of easily not played him and delisted him and we'd never hear of him again.
Richmond do have some good draft picks so if they are keen, which sounds like they are, Bris could get a good deal for him.
As usual with interstate clubs, we make the player, Vic clubs come and poach them.

He wouldnt wanna go after the faith Bris showed in him after he walked out, they could of easily not played him and delisted him and we'd never hear of him again.
Richmond do have some good draft picks so if they are keen, which sounds like they are, Bris could get a good deal for him.

I suspect Richmond's Hooper deal involves him going in the PSD.

So that means we get squat for him.....

That would be Richmond's plan, yep.

You can't blame them really. They got shafted out of the number 1 draft pick by a stupid priority pick system combined with a once proud club deliberately losing games.

You can't blame them for trying to squeeze some advantage out of their first PSD pick. Unfortunately we are on the receiving end of it.

Sorry guys. :eek:

But just to ask how cant you fit Rhan Hooper in at 500K over 3 years. The reports seem to say you cant fit that into your salary cap?

Doesnt make sense to me. Sure Lappin, Black and Jono Brown would cost alot but you have a team full of young players now who I thought would be on reletively small contracts leaving some space. Its only 170k odd a year.

That would be Richmond's plan, yep.

You can't blame them really. They got shafted out of the number 1 draft pick by a stupid priority pick system combined with a once proud club deliberately losing games.

You can't blame them for trying to squeeze some advantage out of their first PSD pick. Unfortunately we are on the receiving end of it.

Miller is trying to squeeze everything he can out of our position. He is doing a pretty good job at it too.

but surely you guys could fit Hooper in somewhere...I really rate him.

Sorry guys. :eek:

But just to ask how cant you fit Rhan Hooper in at 500K over 3 years. The reports seem to say you cant fit that into your salary cap?

That's a lot of money! Good list management is about paying players what they are worth, and while I have high hopes for Hooper, I wouldn't have thought he has earnt those kind of dollars just yet.

Despite what the journo says, I suspect there is room in the cap, it's more an issue of whether you want to pay more for a player than what he is worth. I imagine the Lions will up their offer a little, explain to him the realities of the salary cap, tell him that the Lions are going places and Richmond are going nowhere:p, preach the virtues of loyalty, get Johnno and Whitey to have a word with him, and hope he stays.

If he did leave I'd be very disappointed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Rhan Hooper (2006-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back