Rhys Mathieson - ducking debut (video)

Remove this Banner Ad

it takes deep Psychoanalyses to try and figure out why this has struck such a nerve with Melbourne and Carlton fans, it takes a bit of time on the couch to figure out why you are all so upset.
Says the person whose made a tick under 70 responses to this thread :$ Some defending Mathieson, some being jibes at Melbourne supporters. Whose upset again?

No longer a ducker. Focus appears to be meathead acts based on Saturday night's game. How does he get a game? Surely Brisbane have better depth than that.
Weirdly enough I think having so few injuries over the last few years (prior to this one) has meant less top level exposure to players outside of the 22 meaning our depth is actually quite poor. Having said that it's ridiculous that Rhys has been ahead of Deven Robertson in the pecking order as of late. I think any question marks around our depth are certainly fair. I think it's also contributed to us being forced to play several guys who are clearly struggling with injuries like Andrews, Gardiner and J Berry.

I see you're a Lions supporter so forgive me, but the leaping into Max Gawn was plum average. I do appreciate you're reply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weirdly enough I think having so few injuries over the last few years (prior to this one) has meant less top level exposure to players outside of the 22 meaning our depth is actually quite poor. Having said that it's ridiculous that Rhys has been ahead of Deven Robertson in the pecking order as of late. I think any question marks around our depth are certainly fair. I think it's also contributed to us being forced to play several guys who are clearly struggling with injuries like Andrews, Gardiner and J Berry.
Did Dev get injured or did his form just tail off? Obviously he's not a superstar but I thought he was playing his role really well for a fair part of the middle of the season.

Did Dev get injured or did his form just tail off? Obviously he's not a superstar but I thought he was playing his role really well for a fair part of the middle of the season.
Nah not injured tapered of a little but whilst I don't like to question Fahes I don't get how the turnover King is ahead of him.

Nah not injured tapered of a little but whilst I don't like to question Fahes I don't get how the turnover King is ahead of him.

He's a sub, mate.

Robertson is only in his second year - it's hard for kids to maintain form and when you're going for a flag, you can't play kids who are struggling to run out games. He'll take a big step forward next year.

He's a sub, mate.

Robertson is only in his second year - it's hard for kids to maintain form and when you're going for a flag, you can't play kids who are struggling to run out games. He'll take a big step forward next year.
I know but Matho is rubbish. Shouldn't be the sub ahead of Dev

Players just love him I guess. Seems like an energetic type at training and off the ground.

Don't rate him at all. Don't find him likeable as a player. He brings nothing two other better ressies players would bring.

Nothing to me suggests he would be a Keays type with more game time either. Has had plenty of opportunity playing his preferred inside mid position.

His impact as a person around the club can't be understated but its easier to see why so many don't like him

He's a sub, mate.

Kind of have to weigh it up though. A few less possessions (maybe?) v playing a guy who has consistently shown isn't up to it and is a genuine liability at times out on the field with his kicking skills and general decision making.

I get Mathieson isn’t in the team for his class, but I suspect the Lions can do a lot better than playing him and I'd also hazard a guess he wouldn't make the best 22 for most teams running around in the finals, if not all.

Last edited:
Class?? Matho?? Beastmode??

Kind of have to weigh it up though. A few less possessions (maybe?) v playing a guy who has consistently shown isn't up to it and is a genuine liability at times out on the field with his kicking skills and general decision making.

I get Mathieson in the team for his class, but I suspect the Lions can do a lot better than playing him and I'd also hazard a guess he wouldn't make the best 22 for most teams running around in the finals, if not all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhys Mathieson - ducking debut (video)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back