Traded Rhys Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldstein was just on the Sunday Footy Show and said that Rhys Stanley was one of the most underrated back up ruckmen in the comp ;)

Port rated him before it became cool :D

Rhys ability to kick a set shot from 55 metres is a massive weapon for us. Sure 50/50 chance when he may be a 66/34 chance from 40. But it is just about impossible to set up a defence to stop a tall leading forward from marking 50 out. Spread your defence out enough to stop it and you end up defending nothing.
Still needs a little tinkering with his kicking. He is a booming kick wich is a real weapon but he always kicks it top of the post high.
thats great at etiihad with no wind but hes gonna kick a lot of points at the open grounds.
but im sure he knows he has a lot of improvements to work on. At the moment it was just great to see him play looking confident and looking like he realy enjoyed being a big part in us winning.
a bit of confidence could be massive for this kid.

He did but this one was a better all round game, could have kicked 6 or something yesterday. In that Bombers game didn't hit the scoreboard.
Yesterday was a slightly better game then the Bombers game (both were huge games). I am just saying he has had a couple of big games. If you followed some in the media hed never touched the ball until yesterday.
In that Bombers game Roo stayed closer to goal and Rhys led to the wings- whereas yesterday they swapped around a bit.

What's Rhys's contract situation? That was a pretty massive game from him, would think we'd be looking to secure his contract.

I think Richo hit the nail on the head, when he said something on long the lines of “Rhys has probably been too Rooey conscious and hasn't wanted to get in his way”. That’s why I think we’ll see Roo playing up the ground and on the wing more often…. and I’m cool with that.

I understand Roo is too good to be “the decoy”… although what we saw in the Freo game was Roo lead up the ground and make space in the 50 for Rhys to lead into. I reckon the message was ‘look for Rhys and stop being so Roo conscious”. It’s a win…win situation, IMO.

I think Richo hit the nail on the head, when he said something on long the lines of “Rhys has probably been too Rooey conscious and hasn't wanted to get in his way”. That’s why I think we’ll see Roo playing up the ground and on the wing more often…. and I’m cool with that.

I understand Roo is too good to be “the decoy”… although what we saw in the Freo game was Roo lead up the ground and make space in the 50 for Rhys to lead into. I reckon the message was ‘look for Rhys and stop being so Roo conscious”. It’s a win…win situation, IMO.

I actually thought that role suited Rooey and made him even more dangerous. He was roaming all over the ground and still running back to dangerous spots. He really became an extra mid fielder at times. We all know rooey can out run most defenders but it upset the whole of freo's back line zone. That was the most dangerous we have looked since G train left up forward. It was like circling sharks. Longer and bruce were menacing down deep and rhys and Nick just kept running through.

God I would hate to be a defender and completely losing Riewoldt, not knowing where the hell he was. Would absolutely be cut apart.

Have people lifted their expectations of Stanley now? I don't have any "Roo replacement" expectations,

He's potentially a 40m player, as opposed to roo who is a 100m player in his roaming. Stanley requires shorter sharper bursts.

Still needs a little tinkering with his kicking. He is a booming kick wich is a real weapon but he always kicks it top of the post high.
thats great at etiihad with no wind but hes gonna kick a lot of points at the open grounds.
but im sure he knows he has a lot of improvements to work on. At the moment it was just great to see him play looking confident and looking like he realy enjoyed being a big part in us winning.
a bit of confidence could be massive for this kid.

As someone with a high ball drop, much like Rhys and Roo, where the wind really effects the most is in the drop from hand to foot. There's no Aussie Jones like consistency at all.

As someone with a high ball drop, much like Rhys and Roo, where the wind really effects the most is in the drop from hand to foot. There's no Aussie Jones like consistency at all.
Yes true. But kicking from 40 out Rhys comes close to hitting Etihads roof :p Its amazing how much distance he gets with such a high kick.
The bloke must have a kick on him like a horse.

The amazing thing about his game yesterday is that despite taking 14 marks, he left at least 3-4 out on the park as well, as it was very noticeable to me at the ground that he mistimed a lot of his leaps. There were at least 3-4 where he simply leapt too early and by the time the ball got to him he was on the way back down again, which is the last thing you want, so if he learns to time all of his leaps better he will take even more marks.

He was very good. Still made some of his normal errors - running into Roo, letting his defender bridge across as 3rd man up in someone else's contest, jumping too early on balls straight towards him.
However these were less than usual, maybe 10-20% of his involvements, rather than what's been happening before where you only see him 10 times and more than half are stuff-ups of some sort.
It was a promising step in the right direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldstein was just on the Sunday Footy Show and said that Rhys Stanley was one of the most underrated back up ruckmen in the comp ;)

I would agree. However we've not been playing him as a backup Ruck (i.e. with 2 key forwards and an overall fwd structure that doesn't require him). We've been playing him as a 2nd tall, even sometimes the key focal point of the fwd 50.

Disclaimer: I fully understand that stats don't tell the whole story and that numbers can be deceivingly low or high compared to actual impact. It's really the only solid metric we have, though, so I will use it for the moment.

I was browsing afl.com.au recently and had noticed in an article that they described Levi Casboult as having a breakout season this year. I can't find that specific article, but I have found two more.

Example A: (this is Google's cached version of the page which at the moment doesn't exist)
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eek:Sd1DruLrYMJ:m.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-22/on-the-rise-levi-casboult &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

"Season 2014 has been a breakout one for Carlton’s Levi Casboult."

Example B: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-10/rowe-lines-up-new-deal

"The club is also negotiating a new deal for Casboult, who falls out of contract at the end of the season and has enjoyed a breakout year."

This got me thinking, what exactly does a breakout year for Levi look like?

Levi Casboult

Games Played: 19
Goals: 15
Avg Disp: 10.5
Avg Marks: 5.7
Avg Tackles: 2.3
Avg Hitouts: 6.9
Inside 50's: 1

This lead me to draw the obvious comparison to our Rhys, so I checked out his numbers.

Rhy Stanley

Goals: 18
Avg Disp: 11.2
Avg Marks: 6.4
Avg Tackles: 2.0
Avg Hitouts: 7.8
Inside 50's: 2.4

Bettery in every single category except for tackles, of which he has a .3 deficiency. Are we missing something here? Levi has a breakout year and Rhys has a better one? Well, I thought, Rhys has been developing since 2009 (with a year in defense, though, of course) and Levi since 2010. Maybe it is the timing that says Levi did so much better than Rhys. To confirm/dispel this I checked out the two most other obvious examples I could think of as Ruck/Fwd roles in David Hale and Zac Clarke.

David Hale
Goals: 19
Avg Disp: 10.3
Avg Marks: 3.5
Avg Tackles: 2.4
Avg Hitouts: 16.7
Inside 50's: 1.3

For those not paying attention, Rhys kicked about the same amount of goals, averaged more disposals, nearly three times as many marks, about as many tackles, and nearly double inside 50's of the reigning premier's ruck/fwd. Obvious disparity in this comparison are hitouts, although I always feel Rhys has massive impact in the ruck in short stints. Longer has been good enough to slog it out for 95% of the game. Rhys has beaten a number of highly rated rucks, though, including Natinui.

Zac Clarke
Games Played: 21
Goals: 12
Avg Disp: 12.3
Avg Marks: 4.4
Avg Tackles: 2.7
Avg Hitouts: 12
Inside 50's: 1.5

Alright, so Stanley is way ahead on goals, barely behind on disposals, averages 2 more marks, is again on pace with tackles, and averages an extra i50 per game than Clarkey. Outnumbered in hitouts, though, by a small amount.

I have seen the threads here in the past, and I know this is previously discussed territory, but what does it take for us to recognize that Rhys isn't far behind the mark, if at all? I have been surprised to see many say they would like to trade him. He is finally becoming a valuable player, why now?

So what do we think? Could this year of seeming underachievement actually have been successful? Am I completely wrong? Should we be toasting or delisting Mr. Knives?

Last edited:
I dont know what the other players are like in terms of consistency but the biggest flaw in Rhys' game is that his high is stupidly good but his low is really bad. Its not so much that he needs to increase his average game that much to be worthwhile (this basically just means getting his average goals up above 1 in my opinion) but he needs to raise the bar on his low games as he just goes missing sometimes.

This year is still a breakout year as we have not see him dominate as much as he did against Essendon and Freo in the past years.

I think it purely that after the GF sprint we all pencilled him in as a cross between usain Bolt and Buddy. It has been a normal slow build up like most talls but we got way ahead of ourselves and now blame him. I think even if he doesn't progress further now he justifies a spot but with further progression could be a star in a few more years.

Disclaimer: I fully understand that stats don't tell the whole story and that numbers can be deceivingly low or high compared to actual impact. It's really the only solid metric we have, though, so I will use it for the moment.

I was browsing afl.com.au recently and had noticed in an article that they described Levi Casboult as having a breakout season this year. I can't find that specific article, but I have found two more.

Example A: (this is Google's cached version of the page which at the moment doesn't exist)
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eek:Sd1DruLrYMJ:m.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-22/on-the-rise-levi-casboult &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

"Season 2014 has been a breakout one for Carlton’s Levi Casboult."

Example B: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-10/rowe-lines-up-new-deal

"The club is also negotiating a new deal for Casboult, who falls out of contract at the end of the season and has enjoyed a breakout year."

This got me thinking, what exactly does a breakout year for Levi look like?

Levi Casboult

Goals: 15
Avg Disp: 10.5
Avg Marks: 5.7
Avg Tackles: 2.3
Avg Hitouts: 6.9
Inside 50's: 1

This lead me to draw the obvious comparison to our Rhys, so I checked out his numbers.

Rhy Stanley

Goals: 18
Avg Disp: 11.2
Avg Marks: 6.4
Avg Tackles: 2.0
Avg Hitouts: 7.8
Inside 50's: 2.4

Bettery in every single category except for tackles, of which he has a .3 deficiency. Are we missing something here? Levi has a breakout year and Rhys has a better one? Well, I thought, Rhys has been developing since 2009 (with a year in defense, though, of course) and Levi since 2010. Maybe it is the timing that says Levi did so much better than Rhys. To confirm/dispel this I checked out the two most other obvious examples I could think of as Ruck/Fwd roles in David Hale and Zac Clarke.

David Hale
Goals: 19
Avg Disp: 10.3
Avg Marks: 3.5
Avg Tackles: 2.4
Avg Hitouts: 16.7
Inside 50's: 1.3

For those not paying attention, Rhys kicked about the same amount of goals, averaged more disposals, nearly three times as many marks, about as many tackles, and nearly double inside 50's of the reigning premier's ruck/fwd. Obvious disparity in this comparison are hitouts, although I always feel Rhys has massive impact in the ruck in short stints. Longer has been good enough to slog it out for 95% of the game. Rhys has beaten a number of highly rated rucks, though, including Natinui.

Zac Clarke
Games Played: 21
Goals: 12
Avg Disp: 12.3
Avg Marks: 4.4
Avg Tackles: 2.7
Avg Hitouts: 12
Inside 50's: 1.5

Alright, so Stanley is way ahead on goals, barely behind on disposals, averages 2 more marks, is again on pace with tackles, and averages an extra i50 per game than Clarkey. Outnumbered in hitouts, though, by a small amount.

I have seen the threads here in the past, and I know this is previously discussed territory, but what does it take for us to recognize that Rhys isn't far behind the mark, if at all? I have been surprised to see many say they would like to trade him. He is finally becoming a valuable player, why now?

So what do we think? Could this year of seeming underachievement actually have been successful? Am I completely wrong? Should we be toasting or delisting Mr. Knives?

I keep coming back to this comparison which costs WCE $800K per year. Its why I reckon we would be stupid to trade Stanley - hard enough to find a forward/ruckman without giving hem up just as they start to find form.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3153&tid2=19&pid2=3108&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

His season when he returned to the team after being dropped to the VFL was impressive.

Kicked at least 2 goals each week except for a couple of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back