Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Any reason why no Tiger deals have been done after the first week?

Thought at least one of them would have been squared away early
WC didn't get Barrass done is holding Baker up and the other 2 are contracted.

If Twomey is correct in what Freo have had on table for Baker & Bolton combined that would fix the Bolton impasse.

Rioli we will hold out till late Wednesday to see if GC cave and give more I think.

wing is a weird position, because some clubs use the position to place runners who work up and down the ground, some teams use it to put midfielders who dont make it in the CBA's and others use it to place a 3rd tall who can impact forw or back(Ess with Cox/Jones and Geelong with Blicavs ect) i know its not conventional, but could work as an attacking winger?
We don't have a Marshall...

Tigers asking for overs for Bolton, overs for an uncontracted Baker, and quite significant overs for Rioli. Will it work out for them in the end or will they end up keeping Bolton and Rioli?
Well how about we give you pick 1 and Baker for Harley Reid. Excellent deal for WC. Or do you think that is overs?
No?
What has WC offered for Baker? Oh nothing yet, so where are the overs? You went to sleep and Hawthorn skiddled your plan there.
Rioli and Bolton, contracted long term. Pay up or they stay. No big deal for us, they weren’t asked to leave. We’re just trying to make it a good deal in compensation. Like any club would do.

Tigers asking for overs for Bolton, overs for an uncontracted Baker, and quite significant overs for Rioli. Will it work out for them in the end or will they end up keeping Bolton and Rioli?
#3 is looking very likely to be used in the Baker deal and that gets done
Rioli is 100% done for pick #6 and if there are extra then great if not no problem

Bolton can come finish his contract at Punt Road

#3 is looking very likely to be used in the Baker deal and that gets done
Rioli is 100% done for pick #6 and if there are extra then great if not no problem

Bolton can come finish his contract at Punt Road
Lol, no way is Baker fetching pick #3 in a strong draft.

no way you get pick 3 from west coast as part of the baker deal.

I’d say it’s more likely you get pick 2 from North for 6 + one of your many top 30 picks

Take Lalor + Langford 1/2 then grab 2 talls , another medium (likely wing or defender) and a Small forward all in the top 30 and basically fully rebuild your list in 1 offseason

I’m pretty jealous TBH but given everything how it is it just makes sense

If the trades that are on the table go through then the Tigers likely are the worst side again in 2025.
But all these quality picks could be the nucleus for a strong recovery.

Lol, no way is Baker fetching pick #3 in a strong draft.
It's been reported WC has already offered a pick 3 slide deal (not sure if this is back to 6 or back to 10/11) and we're apparently not interested.

Personally I'd be happy to trade up, but I guess the evenness of the draft has us wanting more picks, rather than higher picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the trades that are on the table go through then the Tigers likely are the worst side again in 2025.
But all these quality picks could be the nucleus for a strong recovery.
If the Tigers torch their list by letting their senior players walk, they will have a great squad for the future but potentially a rough few years. Will the AFL take that into consideration if they start asking for priority picks, in a world where they are a 2 win team still in 3 years time?

If the Tigers torch their list by letting their senior players walk, they will have a great squad for the future but potentially a rough few years. Will the AFL take that into consideration if they start asking for priority picks, in a world where they are a 2 win team still in 3 years time?
Like the tigers of old....

Every step the AFL has made in the last decade has increased the magnitude of the boom or bust cycle for clubs. When it becomes so hard to gradually build through the draft it becomes a feasible idea to just blow up the list entirely if you aren't able to contend any more. Take 4 years of winning 3 games a year, let players walk to get good free agency compo, ask the AFL for a few picks to help out at that point, and hope the players all mature together to get a good 5 years at the top.

It'll make for a pretty dreadful competitive balance but apparently that's alright. Only a few select extremely well-run clubs can seem to do otherwise.

People who live in Glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

West Coast the last 3 years have finished 17th,18th & 16th and also have a new coach which the Tigers rejected. :thumbsu:

In years gone past we have been pretty hit and miss with first rounders in that sort of 10-20ish range. Guys like Corey Ellis, Lennon, Dow, RCD, all busts. This may be less of a concern this year with the evenness and the amount of picks. I'd be hopefully we aim for maybe 7 live picks on the night with all within the first 25 except one we leave open for a slider or someone we want to trial over the preseason.

I also wouldn't call it a mass exodus, it's more just a year where a few players want out after a sustained period of success where we were retaining everyone we wanted. If the same number want to go next year I reckon we have real problems. It's a good spot to be in though, you have to make a minimum number of changes anyway so to be able to get good picks to replace them with is a rare luxury.

But all these quality picks could be the nucleus for a strong recrecovery
If those players stay we probably still win the wooden spoon.

May as well go hard on the rebuild to set us up if we're going to be bottom tier regardless

Wouldn't be surprised if we pick up a role player or two but no one worth an early pick. I like Riccardi, but not at this stage.

I am a bit worried on the tigers trading out their players.

Liam Baker is out of contract so Fair enough.

I am more worried in Richmond in Them trading out Shai Bolton and Dan Rioli. Both are contracted and both a good players.

Bolton turns 26 at december. He should be thinking of staying, see through a 3 or 4 year rebuild. Richmond finished bottom this season. Will Probably be bottom 4 in 2025 and 2026. Bottom 6 with 10 or 11 wins in 2027. Richmond makes finals in 2028, bolton will be 30 by december of 2028..

Richmond trading out Bolton, Baker and Rioli in one season reminds me of North Melbourne in the last 5 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back