Richmond to have stand alone from 2013. I hope its not the death of coburg

Remove this Banner Ad

not the death of coburg just yet, confirmed from the coburg president that they will continue to field a side, and revert back to the coburg lions name.

but i agree, coburg and bendigo are both going to struggle as stand alone sides

Being unaligned doesn't seem to have hurt Port Melbourne. OK, they are traditionally a stronger side financially, but being able to regain their own identity and take control of their own destiny might work in their favour after a year or two. Players knowing their spot is up to their own form without being subject to their position being taken by someone dropping back from the AFL may be a sellin point to some prospective VFL players.
Bendigo would appear to be in more trouble, as the Diggers they really struggled to stay afloat before the Essendon alignment and being away from Melbourne may find it more difficult to recruit from a much smaller region.

I just wish 8 vfl clubs could just break away & form their own league
It was discussed on sen tonight on fineys program. I agree with him afl victoria has no direction with vfl clubs
In 2000 coburg fielded a stand alone side with the major sponsor & backer being fitzroy football club. In 2001 they alligined with richmond. It has been a rocky realationship. Now its over what do coburg do? Play all games in coburg or embrace the new community & new facilties in craigieburn & go there? The local craigieburn team gets home crowds of 1,500+ Or... What was suggested tonight for a new league
Port
Frankston
Bendigo gold
Coburg
North ballarat?
Box hill?
& mabye 2 more form a league away from the vfl

Somthing needs to be done. Coburg did get 7,000 to a game 2 years ago. If they get the right players they can pull crowds

Di
I just wish 8 vfl clubs could just break away & form their own league
It was discussed on sen tonight on fineys program. I agree with him afl victoria has no direction with vfl clubs
In 2000 coburg fielded a stand alone side with the major sponsor & backer being fitzroy football club. In 2001 they alligined with richmond. It has been a rocky realationship. Now its over what do coburg do? Play all games in coburg or embrace the new community & new facilties in craigieburn & go there? The local craigieburn team gets home crowds of 1,500+ Or... What was suggested tonight for a new league
Port
Frankston
Bendigo gold
Coburg
North ballarat?
Box hill?
& mabye 2 more form a league away from the vfl

Somthing needs to be done. Coburg did get 7,000 to a game 2 years ago. If they get the right players they can pull crowds

Did Richmond have the bye when they got 7,000?

Im thinking westernbulldogs to
Coburg. & willy going it alone. Lets face it dogs can not afford to be stand alone & coburg will struggle to
Be stand alone.

Willy could quite easily go stand alone

Im thinking westernbulldogs to
Coburg. & willy going it alone. Lets face it dogs can not afford to be stand alone & coburg will struggle to
Be stand alone.

Willy could quite easily go stand alone

^^ willy are one of the traditional vfl powerhouses, dogs can't go stand alone, the coburg prez on abc a couple of weeks back wasn't really clear wether coburg were going to stand alone, all he said was they were ditching the tigers moniker, would not surprise me at all if this happened

Phil Cleary needs to get behind making a breakaway comp and reverting back to being called the VFA. The original clubs have had enough of the current set up and wouldnt have to think twice about getting out now. AFL would be left to make up a development league for the Melb clubs to play scratch matches every week because the results mean nothing to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shepparton would be a great choice imo. They have a good venue in deakin reserve & hav 2 clubs to choose from who play at deakin. It needs to be done call it the vfa & the fan will come.

But then wheredoes that leave north? There is no way north can field a stand alone unless the find gold under arden street

Phil cleary now football operations manager. They need around 800,000 to set up club for 2014.
I really want The club to keep going. I hope they can work somthing out & stay afloat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back