Richmond to have stand alone from 2013. I hope its not the death of coburg

Remove this Banner Ad

yes. I'm sure Roylion will be happy to tell you what pricks Richmod were to Fitzroy in regard to that.

Thought that they no longer wanted to be a part of the Coburg fold as they weren't being recognised properly?

Thought that they no longer wanted to be a part of the Coburg fold as they weren't being recognised properly?

When Richmond aligned with Coburg, the Tigers wanted no part of Fitzroy in "their" club. Fitzroy's previous involvement with Coburg was for Coburg to carry some of the Fitzroy identity as part of the club. That included adding "Fitzroy" to the club name and wearing the Fitzroy jumper as the Coburg-Fitzroy Lions' away jumper.

When Richmond aligned with Coburg, the Tigers wanted no part of Fitzroy in "their" club. Fitzroy's previous involvement with Coburg was for Coburg to carry some of the Fitzroy identity as part of the club. That included adding "Fitzroy" to the club name and wearing the Fitzroy jumper as the Coburg-Fitzroy Lions' away jumper.

Thanks i had no idea what was the involvement of the three clubs, so in a way it was the Tigers fault but you could say that it was mostly Coburg's doing for agreeing to the stipulations put forth by the Tigers.

Will Fitzroy be seeking to link with any of the current VFL clubs unaligned with any of the AFL clubs in the foreseeable future?

I would like to see state league footy split into to divisions.
VFL Division
Port
Frankston
Bendigo
Sandy
Werribee
Coburg (or better still Coburg-Fitzroy)
Willi
Tasmania

AFL Reserves Division
Collingwood
Geelong
Essendon
Richmond
St Kilda
Footscray
Box Hill Hawks*
Casey Demons*
North Ballarat Kangaroos*
Northern Blues*
Preston & Nth Ballarat would have to either stand alone or fall into line as AFL reserves sides.
Casey & Box Hill would stick with Dees/Hawks.

Two separate ladders.
VFA clubs would play each other twice + 4 matches v AFL sides. 18 round season starting mid April. Final 5. GF @ Port Melbourne.
AFL reserves play each other twice + 2 - 4 matches V VFA clubs. 22 round season startng when AFL starts. Final 8 to keep players match fit during AFL finals. GF @ Etihad.

This gives the VFA clubs a chance of winning, maintains integrity of both divisions.
All VFA clubs to have reserves sides (except Tas), and this would be optional for AFL reserves side (Box Hill would want one).

Note - club like Vermont are much bigger than any VFA club and would not want to lose local rivalries (and $$$) by joining the State League. Keep local local, keep the VFA traditional and give AFL listed players the chance to keep up their form during AFL finals.

I would like to see state league footy split into to divisions.
VFL Division
Port
Frankston
Bendigo
Sandy
Werribee
Coburg (or better still Coburg-Fitzroy)
Willi
Tasmania

AFL Reserves Division
Collingwood
Geelong
Essendon
Richmond
St Kilda
Footscray
Box Hill Hawks*
Casey Demons*
North Ballarat Kangaroos*
Northern Blues*
Preston & Nth Ballarat would have to either stand alone or fall into line as AFL reserves sides.
Casey & Box Hill would stick with Dees/Hawks.

Two separate ladders.
VFA clubs would play each other twice + 4 matches v AFL sides. 18 round season starting mid April. Final 5. GF @ Port Melbourne.
AFL reserves play each other twice + 2 - 4 matches V VFA clubs. 22 round season startng when AFL starts. Final 8 to keep players match fit during AFL finals. GF @ Etihad.

This gives the VFA clubs a chance of winning, maintains integrity of both divisions.
All VFA clubs to have reserves sides (except Tas), and this would be optional for AFL reserves side (Box Hill would want one).

Note - club like Vermont are much bigger than any VFA club and would not want to lose local rivalries (and $$$) by joining the State League. Keep local local, keep the VFA traditional and give AFL listed players the chance to keep up their form during AFL finals.

I like that idea

Will Fitzroy be seeking to link with any of the current VFL clubs unaligned with any of the AFL clubs in the foreseeable future?

I doubt it, unless they are approached with some sort of deal. Fitzroy is running four teams in the VAFA and are aiming to climb into the Premier league. That's their focus at the moment.

However if a club like Coburg is struggling for members and extra finance, appealing to a section of the footballing public that has been largely disenfranchised, such as the Fitzroy supporter base might be a way to increase membership. If it was done in combination with Brisbane in some form, then they may have further benefits. If Coburg adopted the Fitzroy name and emblem and maybe wore the Fitzroy jumper for matches against AFL clubs and their Coburg jumper against old VFA clubs such as Williamstown and Port Melbourne, then I'd certainly get on board.

It'd be nice to have a team in the AFL and VFL with degrees of Fitzroy in each of them.

I was at the players info night the other night, and the rebuild process has been set in motion, and i think it will be an exciting 5 yr period ahead as a stand alone club. The new coach has a challenge,and one he was excited about, i think he will give it a fair crack. I wish them good luck in 2014 and hope to be a part of the next chapter in their history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back