Preview Richmond vs Coburg - Sat. May26, 10:45am @PRO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a few good weeks by Conca, once again a few horrendous decisions/disposals by him just further reinforces the fact he is a C+ player. Would be happy for CEllis to come in for him this week (assuming the Meatball is still not ready).

BEllis lifted after a few weeks in the VFL... he stays.

Oleg a chance for Houli.

Grimes

Managed to watch 3.5 quarters today and I'll be buggered if I know what happened between leaving after Coburg kicked their 10th to get within 4 points and the 10 minute walk to the MCG but when I flicked on the live stream to see if we'd gone down, I found we were 6 goals up, then we proceeded to kick 4 more to win by 10 going away.

From what I watched Lloyd responded to his dropping the way you'd expect a senior player to, he came back and imposed himself on the game from the start. Worked hard through the middle and down back and got rewarded in the end when pushing forward to get 4 goals.

Ellis was a genuine in and under midfielder today. As I said in the reports earlier in the day his hands in close are super in how quick they are. One grab and hits the target which sets up his teammates to get into space. Before anyone starts writing off his game because it was against Coburg, you can only perform against who is front of you and at the end of the day you still have to perform and if we're going to discredit his game because of the opposition we may as well disregard the whole sides performance and not bother giving anyone a write up.

Soldo as I said in the autopsy thread for the seniors I'd bring him in this week if Jack is missing to give Nank a break from the bash and crash of the ruck. He is developing nicely as a ruckman and is not going to be pushed aside by Bellchambers. Plonk Nank in the square as the long get out option and have Moore cover the ground at CHF. Also gives us the ability to play 2 in the ruck as well and see how that goes.

For those that continue to call for the likes of Balta & CCJ to be played as a second tall, forget about it, both are extremely raw and it would be like watching Moore and Chol back in 2016 when they got their first crack at it. Don't get me wrong both do things that make you sit up and take notice, but then do things that would have you tearing your hair out in frustration.

Baker will play this year and could well be the steal of the draft. Simply knows where to go to get hold of it and then knows how to best use it to the advantage of his teammates. When Coburg were mounting a charge in the 3rd he was one that was constantly getting hands on the ball trying to get things going our way. Very much in the Lambert mold in that he just keeps on going and going.

As much as people want Rioli back next week, I'd be giving him a full game at the VFL level before he gets the call up. Was gassed not long after the half time break, but was much more involved in the game than he was in his first run. You could mount a case to keep him out until after the bye and unleash him for the second half of the season.

Rioli was magnificent in the first half looked to be moving at full pace
Baker is really stringing some good people performances together in a mid field role not sure he has the size to be an AFL mid but has the tank to play as a small forward pushing high up the ground and applying plenty of pressure inside 50.
Markov looked good again and could come in for Houli.
Lots to like about Balta can’t wait for him to mature and become a regular- Kouta type !! Way to early for those comparisons but potential is there.
Highlight of the day for me CCJ. Thewrite up on this bloke when he arrived was around him being a ruckman who could pinch hit up forward but looks eveybit a kpf. Launches himself at aerial contests, very agile at ground level and moves laterally like a natural forward. Also looking at his frame can see him being a big unit in 2 years time.

Lloyd 33 disposals (18 kicks 15 handballs) 2 marks 5 tackles 4.1 7 I50s
Baker 28 disposals (10 kicks 18 handballs) 2 marks 3 tackles 1.1 9 I50s 1 R50
Ellis 28 disposals (9 kicks 19 handballs) 3 tackles 4 I50s
Chol 21 disposals (15 kicks 6 handballs) 6 marks 5 tackles 12 hitouts 0.1 5 I50s 1 R50
Townsend 21 disposals (17 kicks 4 handballs) 3 marks 3 tackles 2.1 3 I50s 1 R50
Stengle 17 disposals (8 kicks 9 handballs) 2 marks 4 tackles 1.1 1 I50
Balta 16 disposals (11 kicks 5 handballs) 6 marks 2 tackles 3.1 3 I50s 3 R50s
Naish 13 disposals (6 kicks 7 handballs) 1 mark 4 tackles 1.0 2 I50s 2 R50s
Rioli 12 disposals (6 kicks 6 handballs) 3 marks 4 tackles 0.1 3 I50s
Markov 11 disposals (5 kicks 6 handballs) 4 marks 2 tackles 0.1 1 I50 2 R50s
Coleman-Jones 10 disposals (6 kicks 4 handballs) 5 marks 2 tackles 3.0 5 hitouts 2 I50s
Soldo 9 disposals (4 kicks 5 handballs) 3 marks 7 tackles 44 hitouts 2 I50s
Garthwaite 6 disposals (1 kick 5 handballs) 3 tackles

350 disposals
180 kicks
170 handballs
13-19 Free kicks
56 marks
61 hitouts
70 inside 50s
83 tackles

Lloyd 33 disposals (18 kicks 15 handballs) 2 marks 5 tackles 4.1 7 I50s
Baker 28 disposals (10 kicks 18 handballs) 2 marks 3 tackles 1.1 9 I50s 1 R50
Ellis 28 disposals (9 kicks 19 handballs) 3 tackles 4 I50s
Chol 21 disposals (15 kicks 6 handballs) 6 marks 5 tackles 12 hitouts 0.1 5 I50s 1 R50
Townsend 21 disposals (17 kicks 4 handballs) 3 marks 3 tackles 2.1 3 I50s 1 R50
Stengle 17 disposals (8 kicks 9 handballs) 2 marks 4 tackles 1.1 1 I50
Balta 16 disposals (11 kicks 5 handballs) 6 marks 2 tackles 3.1 3 I50s 3 R50s
Naish 13 disposals (6 kicks 7 handballs) 1 mark 4 tackles 1.0 2 I50s 2 R50s
Rioli 12 disposals (6 kicks 6 handballs) 3 marks 4 tackles 0.1 3 I50s
Markov 11 disposals (5 kicks 6 handballs) 4 marks 2 tackles 0.1 1 I50 2 R50s
Coleman-Jones 10 disposals (6 kicks 4 handballs) 5 marks 2 tackles 3.0 5 hitouts 2 I50s
Soldo 9 disposals (4 kicks 5 handballs) 3 marks 7 tackles 44 hitouts 2 I50s
Garthwaite 6 disposals (1 kick 5 handballs) 3 tackles

350 disposals
180 kicks
170 handballs
13-19 Free kicks
56 marks
61 hitouts
70 inside 50s
83 tackles

Will be interesting to see who got in the bests. Pretty even from our top players this week.

Was there for the 2nd half, what a shocking game, we were certainly playing like millionaires for the 3rd quarter & the 1st half of the last qtr. Too many lazy players waiting for others to do the hard work, finally switched on for the last 15 minutes & made it look easy.
I agree Binger as the Tigers played like millionaires for the first three and a bit quarters , except for ten minutes in the second. Coburg has also had patches this year when once clubs stretch them down back they melt. Richmond didn’t
take advantage of this all day until the last 15 minutes.
Overall in the first half Morris and Garthwaite were great down back and really offered stability and strength. He made McEvoy look non existent and he only came into the game briefly once Garth moved forward in the third. That exercise looked ridiculous and I’m glad it ended.
Rioli looked magnificent in bursts , but the body was way out of sync with the brain and he needs at least two more runs at this level. He played on Coburg’s slowest defender in Iacobaccio so I wouldn’t be risking him yet until his match fitness is 100%. He will get better opponents at vfl so it will be nice for him to build up at this level before throwing him into the cauldron.
I thought CCJ was ok in patches, but missed some easy marks . He definitely moved better than I thought. Chol was probably the pick of the big men and dominated in the last when in the ruck once Goodwin was gassed. I still think he’s better off being developed as a ruck rather than a forward. He stretched Coburg today , but I’m still dubious to where he’s heading. I think he’ll be a very good vfl player , but uncertain whether he can go the next level.
I thought Soldo was ineffective today and really didn’t work hard enough in the inside contests once the ruck duel was completed. Players had a lot of high numbers today bc after Coburg’s top eight players the list dropped off, so it was hard to accurately gauge performances. CEllis’ handballing in close was excellent and he did open up the game as Coburg wanted it to be a scrap all day bc of their lack of speed and fitness at that level. The Tigers midfield looked lost without Miles getting first use and Corey was the only bloke that stepped up in his absence with the odd cameos by others.
Lloyd got a lot of it , but wasn’t fantastic and was wasteful. Balta is young and like CCJ he’s got potential, but is no way near afl level atm.
I thought Baker was clean for a first year player and he’s getting his hands on it . Didn’t think he touched it as often as the stats suggested, but I was yapping a lot today and was distracted in a good way. Probably need to look at him a bit more.
Overall does anybody deserve a game next week is the main question? Unfortunately injuries to Jack and Houli makes it at least two changes and I can only see Townsend and Lloyd coming in . Townsend you know what you’re going to get and unless we’re going to ruck Chol I wouldn’t bother playing him . Lloyd seems to get recalled every time there are injuries and he’s still probably better placed than the developing younger kids.
CEllis could be risked as Essendon are a bruise free club and may give him the space, but the step up from today will still be a huge class rise.
Markov was disappointing today and Stengel was working well until injured.
I’m not sure who the boys play next week , but I’m hoping to go and see them again under a bit more physical pressure where they’re better matched for size. The boys just coasted for most of the day and I felt they switched on and off as they pleased. My major disappointment was that we lacked genuine midfield talent today as players didn’t want to spread and do the hard yards.
I wasn’t convinced today , but we had some big outs and a lot of first year players . Definitely massive room for improvement especially with getting the players physically ready at the level and their mindset right based on their age. Younger kids tend to switch on and off and don’t link up as well due to them not playing together as a team as long. So I wouldn’t be elevating any of them based on what I saw and would just continue to develop them as a group in the VFL. IMO what I saw today there a lot of lads with potential, but are still a long way off. Higgins is well ahead of the smaller brigade and that’s why he’s getting games beforehand.
Biggest disappointments for me today were Soldo and Markov.
Thumbs up to Garthwaite Lloyd CEllis and Townsend as they had a crack all day .

Chol - 21 touches !!! amazing stats by the big man usually struggles to crack double figures even when he’s played well.
Watching the game I didn't think Chol was that influential and mentioned a number of times that Coburg had got inside his head as he was making some really silly errors. But then you hear Hardwick say he played well, check the stats and he had 21 disposals half a dozen tackles.

Now as everyone knows I like to use stats and I'm constantly reminded that stats don't always tell the story, well I guess the same can be said about what you see with your own eyes doesn't always tell the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back