AFLW Richmond withdraws from the VFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Just confirm the article on Richmond website is false. Richmond are out of VFLW I understand some Richmond AFLW players not playing that week will be playing For Port. Richmond is not paying a cent. It effectively means Port Melbourne has total control of the license. It is an agreement not an alignment similar to Williamstown and Adelaide Crows pre Covid this year,.
What a weird accusatory caveat. The article does not claim Richmond is paying a cent, nor that Port Melbourne aren't in total control of the license. Yeah, it's an agreement... an agreement to align. Do Port and Williamstown have a better word for it?

Apparently they don't.

Surely crap teams like Carlton should've followed Richmond's lead, rather than wasting money on a VFLW program while letting star players leave the club over a few bucks.

Surely crap teams like Carlton should've followed Richmond's lead, rather than wasting money on a VFLW program while letting star players leave the club over a few bucks.

I think our soft cap during COVID took an extra $100k hit I'm not sure if our VFLW program came under that, Brooke, Stack & CJ copped plenty of flak for it. Regardless, our AFLW team has struggled on field until this year. People in the know were critical of our the list management.

Losing Sabrina, Monohan, Akec, etc but adding players, like Egan, Hoskings who've played at other clubs. AFLW lists are quite fluid.
We're making finals for the first time. I wouldn't be crowing too loud yet.

Last edited:

Losing Serena, Monohan, Akec, etc but adding players, like Egan, Hoskings who've played at other clubs. AFLW lists are quite fluid.
The only reason Egan and Sarah Hosking could be added (without losing Conti etc) is because Richmond offered to pay them more than what Carlton offered. They weren't struggling to get a game either, unlike the players Richmond have moved on.

The only reason Egan and Sarah Hosking could be added (without losing Conti etc) is because Richmond offered to pay them more than what Carlton offered. They weren't struggling to get a game either, unlike the players Richmond have moved on.
Having the club get behind and advertise the Hoskings with their social media stuff to the audience of Richmond App probably wouldve been attractive if the contract dollars where the same.

Also, I think Carlton still had Tayla Harris on the books when Jess Hosking left. (might be wrong on that)Seems alotve good players have decided to leave, when I look at their team now I wonder who’s getting/worth the Teir1 money.

I think Carlton still had Tayla Harris on the books when Jess Hosking left. (might be wrong on that)Seems alotve good players have decided to leave, when I look at their team now I wonder who’s getting/worth the Teir1 money.
Harris was already traded. Carlton's cheapskatery began in 2019 when they let their captain (and an unsurprising future league B&F winner) leave over $20k. Once you plant that flag, there's really no going back. Totally changes history if they had an extra $100k to play with... alas, that money was reserved for the VFLW program.

Vescio and Peterson are Tier 1--two players that no other club is interested in having at that price. Carlton are just lucky that the 'big' contracts in AFLW are still loose change for a rich girl like Moody (who isn't making half as much as she could at several other clubs).

Harris was already traded. Carlton's cheapskatery began in 2019 when they let their captain (and an unsurprising future league B&F winner) leave over $20k. Once you plant that flag, there's really no going back. Totally changes history if they had an extra $100k to play with... alas, that money was reserved for the VFLW program.

Vescio and Peterson are Tier 1--two players that no other club is interested in having at that price. Carlton are just lucky that the 'big' contracts in AFLW are still loose change for a rich girl like Moody (who isn't making half as much as she could at several other clubs).
Also think Richmond recognised they had to put everything behind the aflw program once it became clear how poor their forecasting and strategy was in the startup and then contracting of amount of people at the club for mentoring/coaching.
Drop the coach, and then drop the vflw to put as much into turning it around

Also think Richmond recognised they had to put everything behind the aflw program once it became clear how poor their forecasting and strategy was in the startup and then contracting of amount of people at the club for mentoring/coaching.
Drop the coach, and then drop the vflw to put as much into turning it around
Plus, Richmond wanted to control what they can control. The list simply wasn't big enough to justify having an entire VFLW Club team, money wise. The Port alignment made more sense, especially when you consider the few who have played down.

Plus, Richmond wanted to control what they can control. The list simply wasn't big enough to justify having an entire VFLW Club team, money wise. The Port alignment made more sense, especially when you consider the few who have played down.

i'm assuming that the VFLW season will be running the same months as last season, so after they recover from their ACL's Harriet Cordner, Charley Ryan and maybe Hannah Burchell will be given a decent run of games for Port Melbourne ?

I thought theres tiered tpp in W with only 2-3 marquee signings in which case payment are much of a muchness save for marketing component , shosko does work in afl tigers marketing , other players have expanded own sponsorship since arr at RFC , refer conti and Brennan ,,,apart from that W wages are very Linear across the comp

i'm assuming that the VFLW season will be running the same months as last season, so after they recover from their ACL's Harriet Cordner, Charley Ryan and maybe Hannah Burchell will be given a decent run of games for Port Melbourne ?
MostW players don’t even play vflw it’s complete waste of resources , focus on more key areas

I thought theres tiered tpp in W with only 2-3 marquee signings in which case payment are much of a muchness save for marketing component , shosko does work in afl tigers marketing , other players have expanded own sponsorship since arr at RFC , refer conti and Brennan ,,,apart from that W wages are very Linear across the comp

there is a TPP, but compared to the outside-the-cap payments and career opportunities, which is how the players in the top half of each club can make a serious difference in money and start setting their lives up beyond football.

How many players have actually left a club over tier payments ?
i have doubts any player has moved based on this alone

MostW players don’t even play vflw it’s complete waste of resources , focus on more key areas

true, but where are they going to get some match hit outs
put them in cotton wool until season 8?

we are affiliated with Port and have given them access to some of our players in the past
just wondering if it would be something we'd look at with the 3 players that have been out of footy for a year or more

what key area's should we be focusing on with Cordner, Ryan aand Burchell when the're over their ACL's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there is a TPP, but compared to the outside-the-cap payments and career opportunities, which is how the players in the top half of each club can make a serious difference in money and start setting their lives up beyond football.

How many players have actually left a club over tier payments ?
i have doubts any player has moved based on this alone
I think that off field opportunities from the exposure playing for RICHMOND has been a driver in us being a destination club certainly for kb and conti and most recently grace Egan. Clearly we have a good program though as our retention is bang on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back