Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

We are live with the Sydney post:

Posting the picture summary of what's in the post saved me a lot of words last week so I think I'll do the same thing from now on, because #efficiency

NMFC R18 2024.jpg

Posting the picture summary of what's in the post saved me a lot of words last week so I think I'll do the same thing from now on, because #efficiency

View attachment 2047592
Love the point about selection - it’s not fitting in whoever plays well in the VFL to see how it goes, but picking the players who best fit the structure that has been working.

Love the point about selection - it’s not fitting in whoever plays well in the VFL to see how it goes, but picking the players who best fit the structure that has been working.
Yes and as Rick also implies, whatever role someone is playing in the VFL is almost certainly the role they are preparing to play in the AFL. We are not going to replace a defender with someone playing forward in the twos, or send a midfielder from the twos to play forward pocket.

Yes and as Rick also implies, whatever role someone is playing in the VFL is almost certainly the role they are preparing to play in the AFL. We are not going to replace a defender with someone playing forward in the twos, or send a midfielder from the twos to play forward pocket.
It would be helpful if this could be remembered when calling for will Phillips to replace McDonald, Stephens etc etc

View attachment 2047592
Hi Rick, great post again, always gives me a lot of insight. In regards to Duursma playing well again in the VFL and as you pointed out he would have to replace a role in the team, who is he most likely to replace in the team?

We are live with the Carlton post:

The now usual picture post to sum it all up and save me some words. Almost want the season to go a few weeks longer with how much there is to find out over the next five games to be honest.

NMFC R19 2024.jpg

Alright, we are live with the Geelong post:

A little bit different to the norm, because I was really surprised at some of the post-match reaction after the game - not just here but on other platforms too. So the post is all about diving into reasons for why that might have been.

A little bit different to the norm, because I was really surprised at some of the post-match reaction after the game - not just here but on other platforms too. So the post is all about diving into reasons for why that might have been.
Insightful post again Rick. I also was a bit shocked at the depths of negativity on here. Development takes time.

terrific, thanks

Insightful post again Rick. I also was a bit shocked at the depths of negativity on here. Development takes time.

True Sutcliffe, but what does it take not to allow three goals in red-time at the end of the 3rd, two in the last 28 secs ? Two from Stengle he's pulled from his backside, a mark from Dangerflog. We'd just got within 10 points and hope is killed with a dagger through the heart.

My two great bugbears over the last 10 years. Red-time goals and forward pressure. I can cope with a missed tackle, a poor kick sadly. But the first two really get my goat. You can see the red-time goals coming. I truly think the opposition can too. Must be a stat for it and my bet is we've won the last 10 wooden spoons.

True Sutcliffe, but what does it take not to allow three goals in red-time at the end of the 3rd, two in the last 28 secs ? Two from Stengle he's pulled from his backside, a mark from Dangerflog. We'd just got within 10 points and hope is killed with a dagger through the heart.

My two great bugbears over the last 10 years. Red-time goals and forward pressure. I can cope with a missed tackle, a poor kick sadly. But the first two really get my goat. You can see the red-time goals coming. I truly think the opposition can too. Must be a stat for it and my bet is we've won the last 10 wooden spoons.
Agree Hoj, we went from inspiring to insipid in a heartbeat & it was crushing.

However as Rick notes this version of our team is barely getting started. As passionate fans we carry every wound from the last 10 years and more so it is a bitter blow when it happens again. Development requires us to assess this team against their output from this season not years of frustration for which they are not responsible.

Yes, may we see the end of red time goals sooner rather than later. Otherwise, every North game feels like watching the Red Wedding episode from Game of Thrones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm last time we played them (12 weeks ago) we lost by 75, Harry had 38 and a goal. This time we only lost by 40. Harry had 36 and a goal. Some improvement is clear to see. It’s also not enough that would make us think we will be competitive anytime soon

Agree Hoj, we went from inspiring to insipid in a heartbeat & it was crushing.

However as Rick notes this version of our team is barely getting started. As passionate fans we carry every wound from the last 10 years and more so it is a bitter blow when it happens again. Development requires us to assess this team against their output from this season not years of frustration for which they are not responsible.

Yes, may we see the end of red time goals sooner rather than later. Otherwise, every North game feels like watching the Red Wedding episode from Game of Thrones.

Lol

Red Wedding

Hmm last time we played them (12 weeks ago) we lost by 75, Harry had 38 and a goal. This time we only lost by 40. Harry had 36 and a goal. Some improvement is clear to see. It’s also not enough that would make us think we will be competitive anytime soon

I think the part most of us forget - including me, to be clear - is Geelong are also a better side since the last meeting. They've figured out a few more structural things, no Hawkins for an extended period has changed a few forward patterns for the better, and their full team defence has improved. So any North improvement has to be balanced side by side with Geelong's improvement too.

I think the part most of us forget - including me, to be clear - is Geelong are also a better side since the last meeting. They've figured out a few more structural things, no Hawkins for an extended period has changed a few forward patterns for the better, and their full team defence has improved. So any North improvement has to be balanced side by side with Geelong's improvement too.
I though we were the better side for 2.9 quarters, we just torched ourselves over and over.

I would wager we lost the tackles in F50 count by a large margin, surely this is more effort based than system, and not influenced by experience so much, should be right at the top of the room for improvement list.
12v19 in geelong's favour.

It's a mix of effort and system. Effort accounts for chasing and pressuring like all hell, system accounts for preventing intercept marks, by bringing the ball to ground, and also generating repeat entries with our setup outside the 50.

Hopefully Rick doesn't mind me posting it, but here's his review of the weekend's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back