Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well unfortunately, we do have a post this week:

A deep dive into what caused the 13 point lead to evaporate in two minutes of game time. Probably doesn't need any further explanation than that...
Excellent write up and almost eveyone had a hand in the capitulation. They looked ashamed and embarrassed when they walked off.

Still wondering about the lack of leadership. Somebody needed to organise them better for that 2 mins.

Well unfortunately, we do have a post this week:

A deep dive into what caused the 13 point lead to evaporate in two minutes of game time. Probably doesn't need any further explanation than that...
Both captains involved at (different) crucial moments.

Not a good look

Usually a glass half-full guy 12 - 24 hours post loss. But,

Can we honestly say we have improved this year if we finish 18th, win the spoon, again, and get the no.1 pick ?

Improvement should be beating Freo, Coll, Melb, Carl, Eagles in games where we are a chance to win them. 0 - 5 🙄
We didn't win any of them. Where's the improvement ?

Individually, yeh. But as a team ? I'll love 'em to death but unless this cycle improves NEXT YEAR we will occupy the bottom rungs of the ladder for the foreseeable future.

Anyone give us a chance the next 2 weeks ? Nope.

Can we honestly say we have improved this year if we finish 18th, win the spoon, again, and get the no.1 pick ?

Improvement should be beating Freo, Coll, Melb, Carl, Eagles in games where we are a chance to win them. 0 - 5 🙄

Individually, yeh. But as a team ? I'll love 'em to death but unless this cycle improves NEXT YEAR we will occupy the bottom rungs of the ladder for the foreseeable future.

I feel the pain, I honestly do but there is no doubt that the football we have played since the bye has easily been the best for quite a while.
We have been in winnable positions in 6 out of 9 games and we were competitive in 2 of the other 3.

We’ve locked down 3 or 4 positions this year that I was genuinely worried about us not filling in the short term. Xerri, Jacko, Curtis and Comben are all either elite in their position or are trending in that direction. I’ve also been impressed with Powell who is showing the versatility that’s going to be required from him moving forward.

Throw in natural improvement from the 1-3 year crop and it’s going to be an exciting couple of years ahead.

Yesterday was frustrating as was the Pies loss as was the Dees loss but in the grand scheme of things the onfield performance is trending in the right direction.

Improvement should be beating Freo, Coll, Melb, Carl, Eagles in games where we are a chance to win them. 0 - 5

I think we've improved to the point where our best footy is really good....the next step is rectifying what goes wrong in those lapses.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Individually, yeh. But as a team ?
Lack of leadership is the greatest issue with this team. It was said a million times yesterday that when the game was there to be won around half time and in the dying minutes when it should have been saved the team effort failed and in their panic it became every man for himself.

Cute passes from experienced players that missed targets instead of taking responsibility for kicking at goal was bad enough. Lazy kicks and shrugs after misses by players who apparently thought the game was already in the bag were worse. Then when the run of opposition goals started, the entire system fell away.

Surely the captain had to be the one standing the defence up to attention and setting in place the team structures that were set up at training to put the brakes on the opposition's scoring?

There are enough players who are capable of decent football. I really do think that the lack of experience against mature teams like the eagles was telling, and the killer was that the leader in defence tried to play brave instead of demanding that the team set up a solid defence.

One goal might have been unstoppable. Three...

Well, fool me once!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rick18 did you contemplate putting that sequence to Yakety Sax?

Imagine the Twitter likes you'd get if you put that music to Allen wandering around with no one near him for 15-20 seconds...

I think there's been definite improvement. Even though the close to yesterday was horrific, if you zoom out the start of this year was basically ground zero with the list profile once all the experience had left at the end of 2023.

Structure has got better across the midfield and defence, there's been extra flexibility added to rotations, and since the bye there's only really been the Sydney game where they've been completely out of it. Even the Geelong game was close until the end of the third until Stengle pulled two goals from nowhere.

I'd be expecting a strong off-season focus on fixing up the forward unit with both personnel and structure, and depending on injuries I think 2025 should be somewhere in the eight-win region.

Imagine the Twitter likes you'd get if you put that music to Allen wandering around with no one near him for 15-20 seconds...

I think there's been definite improvement. Even though the close to yesterday was horrific, if you zoom out the start of this year was basically ground zero with the list profile once all the experience had left at the end of 2023.

Structure has got better across the midfield and defence, there's been extra flexibility added to rotations, and since the bye there's only really been the Sydney game where they've been completely out of it. Even the Geelong game was close until the end of the third until Stengle pulled two goals from nowhere.

I'd be expecting a strong off-season focus on fixing up the forward unit with both personnel and structure, and depending on injuries I think 2025 should be somewhere in the eight-win region.

5 - 6 l'd plan for. 2 in Tassie, 3 at Marvel, maybe 4.

If the umpire had of blown the whistle for incorrect disposal by Cripps after the Powell tackle, when despite Derwayne's "maybe he got a bit of shoe on it" comment, he clearly missed the kick and tapped it on to Ryan, the whole shitshow that ensued, could probably have been avoided, in fact maybe the awarding of a free kick would have resulted in us going forward and scoring again, that's my theory, and i'm sticking to it.

If the umpire had of blown the whistle for incorrect disposal by Cripps after the Powell tackle, when despite Derwayne's "maybe he got a bit of shoe on it" comment, he clearly missed the kick and tapped it on to Ryan, the whole shitshow that ensued, could probably have been avoided, in fact maybe the awarding of a free kick would have resulted in us going forward and scoring again, that's my theory, and i'm sticking to it.

Thanks Ben Stokes 👍

Has the team finally broken Rick?

Possibly... but unsure there was much to analyse. Once Comben went down & Larkey became the one-legged man, it was just a mess.

If anything stood out to me, it was our half forward line... & how RHJ looked more like a medium forward than Zurhaar, Ford & Curtis combined.

Possibly... but unsure there was much to analyse. Once Comben went down & Larkey became the one-legged man, it was just a mess.

If anything stood out to me, it was our half forward line... & how RHJ looked more like a medium forward than Zurhaar, Ford & Curtis combined.
He'll find something....just a bit harder this week than usual....

Not sure if kicking long down the line for three quarters is worth talking about.

This will be the toughest write up for Rick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back