Riewoldt Favoured by Umps??? You're kidding me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Violent Stool

Senior List
Jul 5, 2007
Mexico
This is just staggering.

I'm hearing that Riewoldt is a favourite of the umps. It's becoming a standard line trotted out by ignorant non-Saints fans.

Favoured???? Jesus.

I'd hate to see what his opponents would be able to do to him if he was disliked by the umps!!

F**k me. I counted 5 legitimate, clear, blatant infringements against him on Friday night that weren't paid. One ended up in a goal to Milne in the goal square so it didn't really matter.

Favoured by the umps??

I see a few Saints games, and he is easily to most unfairly treated player in the competition. Easily.

The thing with Riewoldt is that no-one can play him fairly. His vertical leap, with his arms stretched means that barely anyone can legally reach the nut - so they don't. They chop his arms. Consistently, his arms are chopped and the call is play-on.

Happens at last 3-4 times every week.

He also gets blocked chronically. If a midfielder was blocked the way Riewoldt is, it would be paid 9 out of 10 times.

The other outrageous thing is people putting some form of ownus on Riewoldt for Lake cowardice on Friday night. If Riewoldt dove every time some coward took him out behind play whilst his back was turned, he'd never get his boots dirty.

Morons suggesting he's a diver and applauding cowardly sniping on an unsuspecting man who has eyes on the play is amazing in this country and in our sport.

I just hope for the Saints sake, the umpires open their eyes and start paying blatant infringements against him this week.

It's a travisty what lazy and incompetent defenders are allowed to get away with.

When you compare him to other key forwards who traditionally get a rough time from the umpires, he's on a $100,000 welfare. He deserves most of free kicks, but the argument is that most other key forwards never get those free-kicks.

Yeah people who reckon Riewoldt gets favoured by the umps obviously haven't watched many Saints games. He constantly gets mauled illegally by defenders, who know they can't beat him without infringing, and he barely gets half the free kicks he deserves.

All the people whinging about how soft that free kick was on Friday night, conveniently forget about all the free kicks that Riewoldt should get but misses out on.

When you compare him to other key forwards who traditionally get a rough time from the umpires, he's on a $100,000 welfare. He deserves most of free kicks, but the argument is that most other key forwards never get those free-kicks.

Riewoldt runs and jumps at contests more than other key forwards.

Most key forwards these days get into one-on-ones. These are difficult to adjudicate as both players are focussed on the other player, and often contact is initiated by the forward.

Riewoldt leads players to the ball and usually tries to avoid contact, and gets infringed against. These are obvious, and blatant and frankly - not in the spirit of the game.

When in a contested situation, Riewoldt uses his vertical leap to his advantage with outstretched arms. It makes it very difficult to legally defend against. And most defenders don't legally defend against it - they break the rules blatantly and get away with it.

If the umpires had any spuds at all, they'd pay these in each contest. The scary thing is, and most likely the reason they don't, is because he'd get about 15 frees each week if they did.

Every key forward in the comp gets their arms chopped every week this is nothing new. Roo cops it, Johnno cops it every week as does Fev, Buddy etc

Stupid thread!

Riewoldt gets an easy ride. He's no Matty Lloyd or Joel Selwood, but compared to what Franklin cops, he has it good. I hate to agree with winging Hawk supporters, but its the truth.

Riewoldt gets an easy ride.

Wrong. Simply factually incorrect.

He's no Matty Lloyd or Joel Selwood, but compared to what Franklin cops, he has it good. I hate to agree with winging Hawk supporters, but its the truth.

As I said above, when a player initiates contact, as Franklin often does (with one on one strength being a key asset of his) the umps are reluctant to pay them. Main reason it's often unclear.

Not saying it's right, but it's what happens.

Riewoldt gets frees sometimes, but absolutely positively does not get anything he doesn't deserve. He gets far less frees paid to him than he should.

no way Brown, Franklin or Hall would of got that free kick at the start of the 3rd quarter.

but its a bad comparison as they would not of dived in the first place.

no way Brown, Franklin or Hall would of got that free kick at the start of the 3rd quarter.

That is just the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. Lake was foolish to do what he did, it wasn't a shoulder on shoulder bump, it involved an elbow to the stomach, maybe a soft free but still damn stupid of Lake. The sooner you dry your eyes and realise that the better you will feel.

To suggest Riewoldt dives or gets an unfair number of soft frees shows that you have no idea about our game. Give the guy some credit, he singlehandedly dismantled you on Friday night, and was able to finish under pressure (unlike Gilbee, Griffer, Gia, which is where the game was lost if you were wondering not the umpiring decisions).

It was a great game that went down to the wire do we have to keep hearing this crap.

Agree completely with the OP.

Wrong. Simply factually incorrect.

As I said above, when a player initiates contact, as Franklin often does (with one on one strength being a key asset of his) the umps are reluctant to pay them. Main reason it's often unclear.

Not saying it's right, but it's what happens.

Riewoldt gets frees sometimes, but absolutely positively does not get anything he doesn't deserve. He gets far less frees paid to him than he should.
Lance Franklin 2009
FF - 22
FA - 40

Barry Hall 2009
FF - 9
FA - 24

Brad Johnson 2009
FF - 18
FA - 28

Saint Nicholas 2009
FF - 35
FA - 18

And the OP is seriously saying he doesn't get an armchair ride?

Stop talking all that bullshit about 1 on 1 its unclear.... the Majority of the time Buddy/Hall/Johnson are CLEARLY infringed but the umps put the whistle away.

Lay a finger on saint nick and you might aswell have punched him in the back of the head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is just the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. Lake was foolish to do what he did, it wasn't a shoulder on shoulder bump, it involved an elbow to the stomach, maybe a soft free but still damn stupid of Lake. The sooner you dry your eyes and realise that the better you will feel.

To suggest Riewoldt dives or gets an unfair number of soft frees shows that you have no idea about our game. Give the guy some credit, he singlehandedly dismantled you on Friday night, and was able to finish under pressure (unlike Gilbee, Griffer, Gia, which is where the game was lost if you were wondering not the umpiring decisions).

It was a great game that went down to the wire do we have to keep hearing this crap.

Agree completely with the OP.

pfft, Lake bumped him from the side, it would of been his fore arm and Reiwoldt was only jogging past.

just admit he took a dive and Brown, Hall and Franklin would of stood their ground like true power forwards do.

Brown, Franklin & Hall don't cop as much physical attention/niggling as Riewoldt either, particularly Brown & Hall because defenders know they will be a chance of wearing one if they try that sort of crap.

It wasn't like the Riewoldt free kick was an isolated incident. Lake had knocked over Riewoldt a number of times in that first half and the umpire warned him if he did it again it would be a free kick. If you want to blame anyone, blame Lake for being an idiot.

Such a champion player no doubt. But everytime a defender gets in his vicinity the umpires blow the whistle. If Franklin was getting the protection Riewoldt gets from the umps, he would already have over a 1,000 goals to his name.

pfft, Lake bumped him from the side, it would of been his fore arm and Reiwoldt was only jogging past.

just admit he took a dive and Brown, Hall and Franklin would of stood their ground like true power forwards do.

Just admit that you missed your opportunities to win the game and move on.

If you're suggesting he isn't as tough as Brown, Hall and Franklin then you need to get a clue. No dive.

i agree, if you look at all the free kicks he should have got compared to the ones he actually did you will see he is not favoured. people just have to find a reason for good players being as effective as they are, e.g. judd, ablett, selwood etc

Such a champion player no doubt. But everytime a defender gets in his vicinity the umpires blow the whistle. If Franklin was getting the protection Riewoldt gets from the umps, he would already have over a 1,000 goals to his name.

Yep. But how ****ing good has Riewoldt been this year? Should win the brownlow but won't as the umpires prefer midfielders.

Rubbish.

I think you must be confusing Riewoldt with Selwood or Chapman.

Lance Franklin 2009
FF - 22
FA - 40

Barry Hall 2009
FF - 9
FA - 24

Brad Johnson 2009
FF - 18
FA - 28

Saint Nicholas 2009
FF - 35
FA - 18

And the OP is seriously saying he doesn't get an armchair ride?

Stop talking all that bullshit about 1 on 1 its unclear.... the Majority of the time Buddy/Hall/Johnson are CLEARLY infringed but the umps put the whistle away.

Lay a finger on saint nick and you might aswell have punched him in the back of the head.

You cant argue with these stats, Reiwoldt is CLEARLY favoured by Umps.

Just admit that you missed your opportunities to win the game and move on.

If you're suggesting he isn't as tough as Brown, Hall and Franklin then you need to get a clue. No dive.

in a fair game?....yeah i would

well if that wasn't adive then he is not as tough as Brown,Hall and Franklin.

He was having knee problems and wasn't expecting a bump so if anything he probably staggered and slipped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt Favoured by Umps??? You're kidding me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back