Mega Thread RIO 2016 - General Discussion Thread for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games (3rd Aug to 21st Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
8a1813ebb675372564938ce7419479a3.jpg

Tonight the Games of the XXXI Olympiad get underway with the start of the Women's Football Tournament, with the Men to follow the day after before it all begins on the 5th with the Opening Ceremony.

This thread is here for everyone to join in discussion of the games as it happens.

We have started threads for individual sports for those who want to know a bit more about them and discuss those further. Those are linked below - check them out

Athletics - Track
Athletics - Field
Swimming
Cycling
Rowing
Field Hockey
Rugby Sevens
Basketball
Golf
Tennis

Here also is a Sport by Sport schedule

2016%2Brio%2BOlympics%2Bfull%2Bschedule.jpg

So let the Games begin.

What time does the Opening Ceremony actually start in the Eastern States? Given the early beginning I want to make sure I wake up right at start time rather than put up with any pre ceremony bullshit on 7
The opening ceremony starts 8pm Friday night Rio time. NBC let them do it at a reasonable time as it is 7pm NY time on a Friday night - unlike the swimming finals.
https://www.rio2016.com/en/ceremonies#

So that means its on live Saturday 9am EST, 8.30am CST and 7am WST.

It looks like 7 are putting on some 3 hours of BS before hand - called The Olympic Coundown Show and advertising as it all starts 6am - that's EST - because my electronic program guide says 5.30am CST so that is 4am WST. You will get 3 hours - a big chunk of it BS looking forward by Joanna and Basil but maybe some good footage of looking back stuff. Joanna and Basil are on during the opening ceremony and joined by Bruce and Andrew Gaze. The ceremony will go for 4 hours, so get the coffee and breakfast and lunch ready early. Andrew Gaze's humour should help get us through 4 hours. :p

Last edited:

The Matilda's are playing Canada at 3pm Rio time today which is 4am Thursday morning EST, 3.30 am CT and 2am WST. Ok looks like the official schedule page has kicked into gear properly on the official Rio site across the board.

https://www.rio2016.com/en/football-schedule-and-results

But 7mate are going early and have their broadcast starting at 1.20am CST on my EPG and finish at 5.30am.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread RIO 2016 - General Discussion Thread for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games (3rd Aug to 21st Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back