News RIP - Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Still crying after watching Lyon and Dunstall on Fox.

Well done to Whately great interview.
Asked all the questions I wanted asked/answered.
Put a very hard subject front and centre. The two friends are clearly hurting, and we were invited into their pain.
Put a very inside story on the public persona.

I was going to say that this weeks episode of Bounce would really make it hit home. But I think it’s been pulled from the schedule.
I’m not sure how the format going forward can work.
They may have to rejig it.
Although it’s popular because of the zany light hearted humour.
Could be at the crossroads.

On the way down the street, I was listening to sports radio and they had a bit from one of the melbourne stations reminiscing about Danny. There was Brayshaw and Lyon and Barrett and Brian Taylor was there. They were playing segments from the past.

I've never listened to these guys on the radio, so this is the first time. I have to admit that the relationships reminded me of schoolboy stuff....

One bit of schoolboy relationships is that everyone has their role. The leaders, the guys who sort of join in with the leaders and there's normally someone who gets dumped upon. Now I'm not saying that these guys had the shallow relationships that schoolboys tend to have but I started wondering whether Danny was in on the joke all the time.

Sometimes kids just want to be in the group so bad that they take on a role of being the bunny, just to be part of it. The thing that made me think about this was that Danny was coach of Richmond. He was head of the coaches association so he had a serious side. The guys were sending up the time when Spud came to an interview as the coaches rep and he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt. It's funny but he seemed to me to be a guy who wanted to be more than just the source of a joke for the boys. now I only listened for 10 minutes while I was in the car and they might have spoken about the serious achievements as well, but I got out of the car just not feeling right about it. I said in an earlier post that Lyon gave one of the more genuine interviews and I still think that. However, he made the point that he just wished that Danny could see how much people cared about him. I get the feeling that he was talking about himself. A lot of funny people have suffered from depression and i get the feeling that a lot of them get in a rut of always having to be the funny guy....

On the way down the street, I was listening to sports radio and they had a bit from one of the melbourne stations reminiscing about Danny. There was Brayshaw and Lyon and Barrett and Brian Taylor was there. They were playing segments from the past.

I've never listened to these guys on the radio, so this is the first time. I have to admit that the relationships reminded me of schoolboy stuff....

One bit of schoolboy relationships is that everyone has their role. The leaders, the guys who sort of join in with the leaders and there's normally someone who gets dumped upon. Now I'm not saying that these guys had the shallow relationships that schoolboys tend to have but I started wondering whether Danny was in on the joke all the time.

Sometimes kids just want to be in the group so bad that they take on a role of being the bunny, just to be part of it. The thing that made me think about this was that Danny was coach of Richmond. He was head of the coaches association so he had a serious side. The guys were sending up the time when Spud came to an interview as the coaches rep and he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt. It's funny but he seemed to me to be a guy who wanted to be more than just the source of a joke for the boys. now I only listened for 10 minutes while I was in the car and they might have spoken about the serious achievements as well, but I got out of the car just not feeling right about it. I said in an earlier post that Lyon gave one of the more genuine interviews and I still think that. However, he made the point that he just wished that Danny could see how much people cared about him. I get the feeling that he was talking about himself. A lot of funny people have suffered from depression and i get the feeling that a lot of them get in a rut of always having to be the funny guy....

Like you Mark i had not heard much at all of this previously. I felt it a very difficult listen too, with the tragic sadness of Danny's passing still so raw.
I could only listen for about 10 or 15 minutes until it became just too skewed toward blokey, old school footy club child like snap shots.
As you mentioned perhaps his great achievements as well as his humour were covered elsewhere in the reminiscences. I hope they were.
RIP Danny.

Like you Mark i had not heard much at all of this previously. I felt it a very difficult listen too, with the tragic sadness of Danny's passing still so raw.
I could only listen for about 10 or 15 minutes until it became just too skewed toward blokey, old school footy club child like snap shots.
As you mentioned perhaps his great achievements as well as his humour were covered elsewhere in the reminiscences. I hope they were.
RIP Danny.

Yeh. well it's interesting that you felt the same way. The fact is Danny tried so hard to please people, and with the depression, it's hard to hear a bloke being ridiculed even if it is in a good natured way. Just watching Lyon during the week, I think something might have clicked upstairs for him. I think that's why he might have been hurting so much.

Yeh. well it's interesting that you felt the same way. The fact is Danny tried so hard to please people, and with the depression, it's hard to hear a bloke being ridiculed even if it is in a good natured way. Just watching Lyon during the week, I think something might have clicked upstairs for him. I think that's why he might have been hurting so much.
Watching the Lyon/Dunstall interview it became very clear that Spud was happy to lampoon himself.
The way they talked about how he would come to meetings super excited about a skit he had thought up which put him at the centre of the laugh.
He lived for it I think.

Watching the Lyon/Dunstall interview it became very clear that Spud was happy to lampoon himself.
The way they talked about how he would come to meetings super excited about a skit he had thought up which put him at the centre of the laugh.
He lived for it I think.
Yeah it's no ones fault. Spud enjoyed playing the clown.

i'm not blaming anyone. Its more about wondering about this. He might have been happy to play the clown but that doesnt mean that he was happy with himself. Just to giva an example about one point. Gary said that Danny continued to contact him when Gary started feeling sorry for himself after the brownless thing. Lyon said specifically that Danny continued to contact him to make sure he was ok. And then Lyon said, I wish I had called. So does mean that it was one-way traffic? If I'm suffering depression and thinking about my self worth, someone not contacting me is going to hurt a bit. Dunstall said that he didnt want to bother Frawley by continuing to ask if he was ok, but I would think that the person suffering depression needs to be asked....a lot... just to reassure them that they are valued. Lyon said that he wished Frawley could see how he was valued after his death.

And the other thing that got me is that they continued to find circumstances where they could make fun of his tendency to look foolish in his more serious roles, such as head of the coaches association..... I dunno about this. And I especially feel a bit uneasy about this when you can see that Frawley wanted to be taken seriously in certain parts of his life. He didnt want to be the clown all the time.

Anyway, it's up to his mates to work out how they fared in taking care of their mate....as I said initially, I really havent seen much of them collectively, except for the few times i saw frawley and dunstall on bounce.

He certainly seemed to be a loved character.
The words from Bucks I found quite interesting, (number 25 on the podcast list)

He certainly seemed to be a loved character.
The words from Bucks I found quite interesting, (number 25 on the podcast list)
I don’t really do podcasts.
And I don’t especially feel the need to listen to Gerard.
Care to summarise Bucks comments?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

News RIP - Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back