Toast RIP Tommy Hafey

Remove this Banner Ad

PLAYERS COACHED BY TOM HAFEY WHO BECAME COACHES

B: Kevin Sheedy (Ess, GWS) Francis Bourke (Rich) Mike Patterson (Rich)

HB: Mick Malthouse (Foot, WC, Coll, Carl) Mick Erwin (Coll) Tony Jewell (Rich, StK)

C: Paul Sproule (Rich) Ian Stewart (SthM, Carl) Damian Drum (Frem)

HF: Des Tuddenham (Ess, SthM) Royce Hart (WB) John Northey (Syd, Melb, Rich, Bris)

F: Allan Davis (StK) Barry Richardson (Rich) Tony Shaw (Coll)

R: Neil Balme (Melb) Mark Williams (Port Adel) Kevin Bartlett (Rich)

I: Brett Scott (Syd) Mick Nunan (Fitz)
I count nine premierships for that lot - as coaches, that is.

1 minute of applause on Saturday, please. The Poms do it in EPL.

What a fair dinkum legend.

That is a bloody fantastic idea.

The bloke was all about positivity. There will no doubt be remembrance, but I think applause is about celebration, and his is most certainly a life worth celebrating.

Straight to the pool room

890292-mark-knight.jpg

Just watched On the Couch.No surprise Richmond hater Mike Sheman rated Tom taking the Pies from last to Grand finalists in his first year,As proof that Tom got the best out of every player he coached.Well stuff me,What does winning 4 flags tell you then.:rolleyes:

Just watched On the Couch.No surprise Richmond hater Mike Sheman rated Tom taking the Pies from last to Grand finalists in his first year,As proof that Tom got the best out of every player he coached.Well stuff me,What does winning 4 flags tell you then.:rolleyes:
Seriously! Did any of the others pull him up on that!

RIP Tommy, will be missed by all.
I still remember when he came out to my school to do a speech, at the end of it we all felt like we could run through brick walls, he was amazing.

Keep an eye out for the special game balls that we made for this weeks game as a tribute to Tommy.

67qs.jpg

to answer the obvious question, unfortunately no, these can't be purchased, they were only made for the club to use for this weeks game (unless the club auctions them off etc)

Magnificent cartoon!

Richo said in the Talking Tigers podcast that his favourite memory of Tommy was driving on Beach Road in July, in the rain, at 5am, and spotting an 80-plus year old Tommy in his speedos, looking in good nick after a swim.

Not everyone has the ability to play or coach AFL. But everyone can get out of bed early and do something to make their life better. That's what I've realized in the past week, and that's what I'll try to explain to my Young Bloke, when I take him to the MCG to applaud for a minute on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sensational footage of Tommy Hafey

We've lost a special human. As a parent of little kids who do AusKick, so touched by this. Wish my little boy could have heard such a speech. Inspiration. In tears listening to it. Some for Tommy, some for my little boy, some for me. It's weird, I'm so emotional over this. Tommy I"ve only met once, even in that occasion, I was in the ME Bank Center and I noticed Tommy walking towards me, thought wow Tommy ....better look the other way and say nothing, twas Tommy who grabbed me and said "how's it going?" was so friendly.

A true great has passed.

Love that we will be doing a minutes applause instead of silence. Really reflective of all the life values he stood for.

The company I worked at hired Tommy to speak at a corporate conference once. Nothing surprising in that.

Every year, just once each year, he would ring up the EA, and ask if there was any interest in a repeat gig. Again, nothing surprising in that.

The surprising thing was his attitude. The EA always told me when she asked how he was today, he'd answer "I'm feeling fantastic, and its a great day to be alive!" And this is after hes been knocked back for a gig for the tenth time running. She used to love the calls because he was always so positive, upbeat, and a pleasure to talk with.

How many of us would have given up after the first couple of knock backs, or politely said thanks and hung up?

Tommy was all about the positive, and living for today. He wouldn't want us to remember him in silence, but to cheer for a great life lived

We've lost a special human. As a parent of little kids who do AusKick, so touched by this. Wish my little boy could have heard such a speech. Inspiration. In tears listening to it. Some for Tommy, some for my little boy, some for me. It's weird, I'm so emotional over this. Tommy I"ve only met once, even in that occasion, I was in the ME Bank Center and I noticed Tommy walking towards me, thought wow Tommy ....better look the other way and say nothing, twas Tommy who grabbed me and said "how's it going?" was so friendly.

A true great has passed.

Thanks for sharing, it's just great how he touched so many people. He was a super human being in that he never ever stopped caring/loving for the people he knew and had a genuine interest with people he didn't know (but he somehow knew them like nobody else could :)), he never stopped his healthy lifestyle. He never stopped running in more ways than one. I never met the great man, and I wasn't born during those golden years but had an idea of how important he was to Richmond.

Throughout the week like many I've been listening to him speak and watching footage of Tommy Hafey, it is extremely motivating and improves your attitude to things in life.

Just thinking about him makes you feel great. I seriously can't wait to play footy tomorrow, Tommy has pumped me up! :hearts:

Just curious question do we know how long he battled his cancer for?
As someone else who was touched by cancer i saw my dad have many ups and downs over his 12 year battle with Prostate cancer.
It is such a weird disease as you go through many highs and lows throughout. I can honestly say that once the doctors says the body has enough, the body has had enough. Once we were all out of options 3 months and he passed away.

Now when ever someone passes away with cancer its an emotional time for me for the obvious reasons. I will find it hard to hold back tears during todays game as T-Shirt Tommy gave my dad so many great memories. My dad came to this country in the early 70's and lived just off Punt rd (wish he never sold) how could he not support the Tiges. As a child growing he always told me how powerful the Tiges were through those years. Last year was hard year for me going to my first games without my dad especially the Carlton game in the finals.

Today will be tough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back