Rising Star 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy enough, your choice for the rising star, try to be somewhat unbiased if possible :thumbsu:

Pearce (PA)
Murphy (CARL)
Thomas (COL)
Bartram (MELB)
Raines (RICH)
Polo (RICH)
Shaw (COL)

I was trying to be unbiased but Raines is still the winner for mine. Has hardly been beaten all year. His game on Ricciuto was amazing. Bartram a close second, beaten badly a couple of times (only) or else i'd have voted him instead.. Murphy would've won if he'd played all season. Can't believe that Dunn from Melbourne hasn't been nominated. Or Nathan Foley for that matter.

Dunn is in and out of games, needs to bulk up a bit but definetly has a bright future ahead of him.

Raines has been very good, Murphy would have won if he hadnt have got injured, Thomas may have done any chance he had by breaking his collarbone. I'm a big fan of Pearces from Port, a very classy mover. Bartram has been unbelievable for the Dees this year, just an awesome pickup at 60.

Between Raines and Bartram for me, but i'll go with Raines. Pearce 3rd.

Yze_Class said:
Dunn is in and out of games, needs to bulk up a bit but definetly has a bright future ahead of him.

Raines has been very good, Murphy would have won if he hadnt have got injured, Thomas may have done any chance he had by breaking his collarbone. I'm a big fan of Pearces from Port, a very classy mover. Bartram has been unbelievable for the Dees this year, just an awesome pickup at 60.

Between Raines and Bartram for me, but i'll go with Raines. Pearce 3rd.

Personally i think Shaw might get third. Its funny but he gets lauded in a lot of circles for doing exactly the same things Joel Bowden gets canned for (i.e. heaps of UP). Personally I think he deserves a top 3 spot but Pearce has been great.

Honestly, i dont think either Raines or Bartram will win it, they're not the flashy types that usually win these awards, even though Wallace will do everything he can to get Raines over the line.

Shaw or Murphy will win it, even though Raines or Bartram deserve it more IMO, Murphy has been unlucky though.

Tosss up between Raines, Murphy, Pearce and Shaw.

Think i might go with
1 - Raines
2 - Pearce
3 - Murphy

Is good this year as there is no clear cut winner as with previous years in Deledio, Rivers, Roo, Kosi

I really thought Rainsey was going to have a hard year this year, but he has absolutely surprised me with his fitness confidence this year.
Has blown me away this year :thumbsu:

Pearce looked really good when I seen him against teh Tigers....so he'll be right up there.

Murphy would have had it in the bag, but he will have missed to many games.

H.Shaw looks a great maturing running backman. :thumbsu:

Ill say:
1.Raines.
2.H.Shaw
3.M.Murphy
4.Pearce

I think shaw will win it, he is averageing 20+ disposals a game which is great for a first year backman. Murphy doesnt stand a chance now as he got injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dynasty said:
I think shaw will win it, he is averageing 20+ disposals a game which is great for a first year backman. Murphy doesnt stand a chance now as he got injured.
Nick Holland. ;)

And it's Shaw's second year Piesfan. :cool:

I voted for Pearce because Murphy is unlikely to win it.

And a Collingwood and Richmond backman doesn't deserve to win anything.

Actually, I'm really surprised Birchall hasn't been given much credit. Most of his stats are better than half those players. For mine;

1. Shaw
2. Murphy
3. Birchall
4. Pearce
5. Raines

Dynamo you really are on something tonight if you rank Birchall ahead of Pearce and Raines. Considering Murphy sadly probably won't win it. the Top two contenders clearly are Pearce and Shaw, with Raines a distant third.
Sadly I reckon an pro-vic bias in this award will see Shaw win it, but personally I think Pearce has had more of an impact.
Still it is one of the best groups in years IMO.

dynasty said:

Except he's actually a 2nd year player, Raines is in his third year on the Richmond list. Murphy deserves some credence for being a genuine rookie IMHO. My only other comment would be that Shaw hasn't had a lot of tough match-ups and has been able to play loose a lot of the time. Mind you he's still been terrific. Raines on the other hand has had to stand the likes of Ricciuto, Didak, Ablett, Farmer, R. Murphy and Milne. I would've said he's worked a bit harder fo his touches.

celtic_pride said:
Dynamo you really are on something tonight if you rank Birchall ahead of Pearce and Raines. Considering Murphy sadly probably won't win it. the Top two contenders clearly are Pearce and Shaw, with Raines a distant third.
Sadly I reckon an pro-vic bias in this award will see Shaw win it, but personally I think Pearce has had more of an impact.
Still it is one of the best groups in years IMO.

There's not much between Raines and Birchall - http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/compare_players?tid1=108&pid1=2006092&tid2=112&pid2=2004080. In hindsight, I probably should've put Pearce ahead, but everyone makes mistakes.

DynamoUltra said:
There's not much between Raines and Birchall - http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/compare_players?tid1=108&pid1=2006092&tid2=112&pid2=2004080. In hindsight, I probably should've put Pearce ahead, but everyone makes mistakes.

Fair enough I was probably a bit too harsh.
I just think overall thought that Pearce should win it for overall impact and consistency, but he probably won't due to a pro-victorian bias in this award (well most of the voters are vic based)
Seriously though Shaw and Pearce have overtaken Raines dramatically to the point where I no longer consider Raines an contender for the award.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rising Star 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Back