Rivers the FF

Remove this Banner Ad

Fairtex

All Australian
Feb 2, 2010
MCG
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does anyone think Rivers could become a very handy forward? IMO the timing seems right for J.Rivers to become a forward considering our lack of talent in the forward half and injuries. It has been mentioned that Garland could develop into a FF type, I think Rivers would make for a better forward, for the following reasons:

. Big Bodied
. Can take a great Mark
. Understands how forwards work
. Has good speed and agility

* I know Rivers is also handy as a back-man, but I feel we can somewhat afford to lose him in the back half to gain his abilities in the forward-line . I think with a bit of training he could be a good prospect, anyone agree?

Rivers is 1cm taller than Garland so I don't know what your point is there. I think you could try Rivers up fwd but also try Garland seeing that he originally was a fwd. But I agree with you Fairtex that with the skills he posses plus amount of years hes been at the club studying different fwds he could easily walk up and hopefully he can kick straight

Can't turn every defender into a forward.

Rivers has spent his entire career in the backline and injured, don't throw him forward.

Garland's played 20 games, showed some extremely promising signs but is far less established as Rivers and wouldn't be as negatively affected should the move up forward not work out.

Good post DR. We shouldn't jeopardise our backline stocks for our forward line. Rivers has been in the system for 7 years as a defender. You can't just magically transform him into a forward. Same with Stef Martin (he is a ruck/defender IMO). I don't think Riv would make a very good forward anyway.

I can understand everyone's frustration with our lack of goal kickers but, most people would agree that the backline is our strongest asset at the moment, so why would you want to jeopadise that for a short term fix???

Give the so called forwards a chance to make their mark, if they fail to shine, then we move them on.... Simple

You including Newton in that ?

Agree with your backline assesment

Rivers is 1cm taller than Garland so I don't know what your point is there. I think you could try Rivers up fwd but also try Garland seeing that he originally was a fwd. But I agree with you Fairtex that with the skills he posses plus amount of years hes been at the club studying different fwds he could easily walk up and hopefully he can kick straight

Height isnt the bee all of a KPP

Neitz is the same height as Garland

Newton is Taller than Rivers

Name the KPP,s

I see just 2

You including Newton in that ?

Agree with your backline assesment

Nah Swampy, Newton is gone in my opinion... I would rather try the smaller forward line with the likes of, Green, Bate, Wona, Pettard, Miller & Davey... Rotations allowing a switch up with a resting ruckmen to move forward & some of the forwards to spend time in the middle.

I'm still undecided about Dunn, he has been really hard done by after his exciting first few games as a forward, but he should have imposed himself on the game by now, in whatever position...

Does anyone think Rivers could become a very handy forward? IMO the timing seems right for J.Rivers to become a forward considering our lack of talent in the forward half and injuries. It has been mentioned that Garland could develop into a FF type, I think Rivers would make for a better forward, for the following reasons:

. Big Bodied
. Can take a great Mark
. Understands how forwards work
. Has good speed and agility
Rivers up forward? Christ we are getting desperate.
Rivers is slow. Dunn and Garland have to be quicker on a lead so they should get a chance up forward before him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, Would love to keep Riv has a defender and give lynden dunn a go this year in the fwd 50 and keep him there. Been bumped around nearly every position last couple of years!

No.
Rivers was consistantly 3-5+ metres behind leading forwards last year.

So wud Usain Bolt with the lack of defensive pressure from up the ground. He is not super quick but quick enough and has a good footy brain and reads the play well, which is arguably more important that speed for a backmen.

Rivers isn't quick but doesn't have the muscle to make up for it as a forward.

Leave him down back please. If we want someone to go forward this year it should be Garland.

Looks like we are stuck with "Goose" Newton as one of our forward line options.

Miller will probably be the other bloke down there, with Davey floating around the big sticks.

Bate will be around the 50 as well , with his long bombs....so that leaves 2 spots .

My bet is Stef Martin to provide another the other tall target , with Brad Green lending a hand around the flanks.

Thats our starting 6 in my opinion.

Rivers is needed down back.

i think none of the melbourne plays are gonna do good until they stop lookin like lost souls in the middle of a paddick of fortunes... melbourne requires more than one player here, we're talking about the 'passion'.

I agree with you Fairtex. I say give Rivers a go at FF, at least for the first couple of games - it certainly couldn't hurt, and i've seen him play in the forward line (briefly) before.

Seeing as though we have Garland, Warnock & Frawley as our 3 solid, big bodied backmen, along with dashers Joel MacDonald, Davey & possibly Bennell all rebounding, it could work. Especially as we have the worst, most dysunctional forward line in the comp.

One more thing...PLEASE BAILEY keep Greeny closer to home this year, as a permanent forward.
1. We don't have any proven goal kickers in the F50.
2. Greeny can add some class to the forward line & take a strong mark.
3. As Matty Lloyd said in comentary once - 'if there was anyone in the cmop i'd have my house on to kick a goal from anywhere in & around the 50, it's Brad Green. He's a dead eyed dick. And God knows when we do eventually get in the for F50, we need a reliable kick for goal, as we need every goal we can get! Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rivers the FF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back