Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
carlton-vs-richmond.png

AFL 2021 | Rd 1 Richmond v Carlton | March 18 | 7.25pm AEDT | MCG

1614990836431.png

Crippa.gif
Dusty.gif

Head to head these two teams have played each other 222 times, with the Baggers holding the bragging rights with 125 wins, 95 losses and 2 draws.

The recent record however, paints a very different picture.

1614991088120.png

Disconcerting to note, is that Carlton have not defeated Richmond since the Elimination final in 2013 with Richmond accounting for the Blues in the next 10 encounters, spanning seven years.

List changes since the last time these two teams met are quite significant.

Carlton:
Ins: Zac Williams, Adam Saad, Lachie Fogarty, Corey Durdin, Jack Carroll, Luke Parks.
Outs: Matthew Kruezer, Kade Simpson, Hugh Goddard, Darcy Lang, Ben Silvagni, Finbar O'Dwyer, Harrison Macreadie, Cameron Polson, Fraser Phillips, Callum Moore.

Richmond:
Ins: Samson Ryan, Maurice Rioli Jnr,
Outs: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Luke English, Fraser Turner, Oleg Markov, Jack Higgins

What it means for Carlton: It would be a massive statement if the Baggers can overcome Richmond at the G. Starting the season with a win against last years premiers would certainly setup their season and instil a sense of belief and belonging in Teague's group and could well set season 2021 up for finals tilt.

What it means for Richmond: A win – and a big one – will declare that last years premiers are just as motivated and gunning for another one in 2021 to add to their recent collection.

How we win?

Well, we got a pretty good snapshot of what to expect by playing the Saints in the Preseason, who have seemed to have taken on a lot of the Tigers style of play with that frenetic, free flowing, fast moving, attacking football. Make no mistakes, the Saints will be there abouts this season with some punters predicting a top 4 finish.

First and foremost, we need to win the battle of the centre, and by that I mean, our mids need to be accountable with their two way running, man marking and tackling. Richmond were the team with the highest I50 count in 2020 with CFC at eighth. The other stat that is worth noting is Richmond were also ranked 1 in Rebound I50's with CFC coming in at 15th, so their ability to rebound from their defence and make plays to deliver inside their forward fifty is as good as there is. That ball is going to come in a lot more if our mids don't control the centre. Zac Williams will be a major boost in this area as his tackle stats for the preseason have stamped his intent early. The MIDS MUST BE ACCOUNTABLE.

Our I50 needs to measured and to the advantage of our forwards. If we are not precise in our entries the ball will come out just as quick and rebound to the other end.

Tempo footy or locking it in. We will need to do this when the inevitable happens, Richmond gets a run on ... we need to react fast and swift to lock that down, especially late in quarters where we have a knack of letting teams get junk time goals.

We need to take advantage of our line breaking weapons in Willo and Saad with the new rule change to get that ball in fast and put the Tigers defence under pressure.

Prediction: Richmond 12 points.

:carlton: GO BLUES :carlton:

Over to you folks.

Last edited:
My guess:

FB: Plowman Jones Saad
HB: Docherty Weitering Williamson
C: Walsh E.Curnow Williams
HF: Murphy Casboult Martin
FF: JSOS McKay Fisher

R: Pittonet Cripps Setterfield

Int: SPS, Dow, Fogarty, O'Brien

EMG: Cuningham, Gibbons, McGovern, Betts

What's the deal with tickets to this?

As I understand it this year at the G. 50, 000 allowed.

Allocations: 10,000 AFL Members and 11, 000 MCC members. Corporate’s get 1, 000.

The home team, in this case Richmond, get the rest of the tickets and allocate want they want to the away team. I’ve read they’ll give Carlton about 1, 000 tickets .. so fat chance any of us members have a hope in hell of getting a ticket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think that the AFL would give Williams a green light, after all we all want to see Carltons new prized recruit. Surely he just gets a fine as Hunter played out the game and was not concussion tested till after the game.

View attachment 1071413

AFL 2021 | Rd 1 Richmond v Carlton | March 18 | 7.25pm AEDT | MCG

1614990836431.png

Crippa.gif
Dusty.gif

Head to head these two teams have played each other 222 times, with the Baggers holding the bragging rights with 125 wins, 95 losses and 2 draws.

The recent record however, paints a very different picture.

1614991088120.png

Disconcerting to note, is that Carlton have not defeated Richmond since the Elimination final in 2013 with Richmond accounting for the Blues in the next 10 encounters, spanning seven years.

List changes since the last time these two teams met are quite significant.

Carlton:
Ins: Zac Williams, Adam Saad, Lachie Fogarty, Corey Durdin, Jack Carroll, Luke Parks.
Outs: Matthew Kruezer, Kade Simpson, Hugh Goddard, Darcy Lang, Ben Silvagni, Finbar O'Dwyer, Harrison Macreadie, Cameron Polson, Fraser Phillips, Callum Moore.

Essendon:
Ins: Peter Wright, Jye Caldwell, Nick Hind, Nikolaus Cox, Archie Perkins, Zach Reid, Josh Eyre, Cody Brand
Out: Joe Daniher, Adam Saad, Orazio Fantasia, Tom Bellchambers, Conor McKenna, Shaun McKernan, Mitch Hibberd, Noah Gown, Josh Begley, Koby Mutch, Jacob Townsend, Henry Crauford, Ross McQuillan.

What it means for Carlton: It would be a massive statement if the Baggers can overcome Richmond at the G. Starting the season with a win against last years premiers would certainly setup their season and instil a sense of belief and belonging in Teague's group and could well set season 2021 up for finals tilt.

What it means for Richmond: A win – and a big one – will declare that last years premiers are just as motivated and gunning for another one in 2021 to add to their recent collection.

How we win?

Well, we got a pretty good snapshot of what to expect by playing the Saints in the Preseason, who have seemed to have taken on a lot of the Tigers style of play with that frenetic, free flowing, fast moving, attacking football. Make no mistakes, the Saints will be there abouts this season with some punters predicting a top 4 finish.

First and foremost, we need to win the battle of the centre, and by that I mean, our mids need to be accountable with their two way running, man marking and tackling. Richmond were the team with the highest I50 count in 2020 with CFC at eighth. The other stat that is worth noting is Richmond were also ranked 1 in Rebound I50's with CFC coming in at 15th, so their ability to rebound from their defence and make plays to deliver inside their forward fifty is as good as there is. That ball is going to come in a lot more if our mids don't control the centre. Zac Williams will be a major boost in this area as his tackle stats for the preseason have stamped his intent early. The MIDS MUST BE ACCOUNTABLE.

Our I50 needs to measured and to the advantage of our forwards. If we are not precise in our entries the ball will come out just as quick and rebound to the other end.

Tempo footy or locking it in. We will need to do this when the inevitable happens, Richmond gets a run on ... we need to react fast and swift to lock that down, especially late in quarters where we have a knack of letting teams get junk time goals.

We need to take advantage of our line breaking weapons in Willo and Saad with the new rule change to get that ball in fast and put the Tigers defence under pressure.

Prediction: Richmond 12 points.

:carlton: GO BLUES :carlton:

Over to you folks.
Not quite sure you got one of those list change lists correct

Kennedy and Stocker are better footballers than Dow
Kennedy isn’t fit... ctacp (spelling?) said he had done something to his calf (I think?) and was only playing a half this weekend in the reserves.

Stocker has played the 5 games at AFL level in 2019 in the backline after spending a good deal of last year away from the team. He’ll probably need some more time before he’s ready to go into the middle.

Both are currently way below Dow in the pecking order. Could very well be Pitto, Cripps, Ed & Dow in the square with Walsh and Setters on the wings (or some other permutation of those players) for the first bounce of round 1.

As I understand it this year at the G. 50, 000 allowed.

Allocations: 10,000 AFL Members and 11, 000 MCC members. Corporate’s get 1, 000.

The home team, in this case Richmond, get the rest of the tickets and allocate want they want to the away team. I’ve read they’ll give Carlton about 1, 000 tickets .. so fat chance any of us members have a hope in hell of getting a ticket.

The silence in the crowd in the last when we are flogging these dirty cheating front runners is going to be even better then.......

FB: Plowman Jones Doc
HB: SPS Weitering Saad
C: Setterfield Walsh Newnes
HF: Murphy Casboult Martin
FF: Betts McKay Fisher
R: Pittonet Cripps Williams

Int: JSOS, Ed, Dow, Fogarty

I hope this is the last time we deal with this start to the season. It is akin to the multiple Friday games a couple of years ago when we looked appalling. We get off on the wrong foot and fight back for the first third of the season as a result.

Richmond looked good enough in patches on Friday to suggest they will be very formidable. We on the other hand...looked sketchy. No Williams opens the door for Dow and Stoker on the bench. Hoping for Cas and H up front and the very effective trirumvate of Murphy, Fisher and Betts to capitalise at the feet of smaller defenders.

We have to dispose of the ball much more efficiently across the park, especially inside 50 but, we all know this from seasons past.

Shame to watch two flags go up for these meulling wretches, at least most of us won’t be these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back