Preview Rnd 10 - Carlton v Geelong Saturday 26th May 7.25pm @ GMHBA Stadium - Team Post #494

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a thought.
Why can’t Kerr stay in and play him out of the goalsquare as a lead up target???????
Why the **** not?????
Charlie and Harry free to roam.
I really don’t see how it can make us any worse.

I mean god forbid if we attempt to start a new trend

Other than ECurnow, don't bring in anyone else unless 100% good to go.

No Marchbank, no CCurnow, no Kennedy, no Williamson, no Cuningham who's coming back from and injury and no Weitering, if he's been left to learn some lessons and if Plowman & Wright are injured, rest them too. Bringing back players early hasn't worked and won't start working next week.

Take the 100 point loss, re-group and let's put together a good back half of the year.

If we don’t have the aforementioned players in then we can expect another 100 point loss, damned if you do - damned if you dont

Out: Rowe (struggled today, and as I’ve been harping on a backline with Rowe and Jones isn’t mobile enough).

O’Shea (gave away four free kicks. Is awful 1 v 1 and doesn’t apply pressure. Has has plenty of chances to prove himself. Can enjoy the bustle and tussle of VFL).

Garlett (he actually got into the game in the second half and showed a glimpse of what he could do after another year in the system. But he squibbed one too many times for mind).

Kerridge or Graham (you cannot have both of these guys in the team. I liked parts of Graham’s game but he gave it back to the opposition far too many times with long, down the line kicking to an outnumbered contest. Kerridge killed us on more than one forward thrust. One has to go).

Kerr: (I’d love to see him get a proper run with it... maybe in the later half of the year).

In: Weitering (3 games in the VFL is enough. Time to back him).

Cunners (Yes, he will frustrate us but he cannot be playing VFL. He’s too good, too silky and we need midfielders).

Charlie and Ed (nuff said).

JSOS: Has played his guts out in the VFL. Play him off a wing and see what he can do. Make him account to the contest. Force him to get his hands dirty.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here’s a thought.
Why can’t Kerr stay in and play him out of the goalsquare as a lead up target???????
Why the **** not?????
Charlie and Harry free to roam.
I really don’t see how it can make us any worse.

I mean god forbid if we attempt to start a new trend

Because he's not a great 1v1 threat against AFL defenders.

When is the last time we played at Kardinia Park? Early 90's? I remember watching a highlight of a fantastic team goal, kudos to anyone that can find the vid.

Might need to break out the 95 GF replay rather than watch this game....
I thought i read somewhere on BF it was in 1996 ?

Out: O'Shea, Rowe, Kerr, Graham, Lamb, Mullett
In: Marchbank (if fit), Weitering, C.Curnow, SOS, Cuningham, E.Curnow

If Marchbank is fit, O'Shea goes, but in all likelihood he will stay in, again. There's also a chance he goes for Polson, Williamson or Shaw, with someone else dropping into the defensive unit. What's important is that the nous/fitness/speed mix back there has to change so that there is an overall increase in midfield play and midfield pressure from the entire side.

Likewise, Weitering presents as more offensive than Rowe, who is clearly struggling on any remotely mobile talls. Jones was exploited today by McDonald, sure, but Rowe was a non-factor. Hopefully Jacob's time providing more voice for the NB's defensive unit has him prepared to be a leader in the backline alongside Plowman and Simpson, because we desperately need a fresh voice and cool head down there.

You can see me addressing that speed/fitness/midfield balance from the other end of the ground by dropping Graham and Lamb as well. People are going to scream at me because Graham had a wealth of possessions, but I've never seen a duller 28 possession performance. He rarely found space, turned it over 25% of the time, and did nothing the other way. Kerridge had a dirty day (arguably from having to run around like a lunatic again), but Graham was actually worse. I'm fed up with the two to four 30 metre kicks a game that people praise him for while his mates are looking exhausted because they're doing all the running he isn't, so I'd like to see him replaced with someone who can actually compete for first possession at the stoppage and at least stick tackles and position well.

Lamb's unfortunate, but replacing him with midfield support is pretty paramount. Garlett did a mountain of running today that clearly went unrewarded, while Lamb somehow wound up marking Hibberd and got a bath. If that's how he's going to be used when there's an incredibly obvious matchup, he shouldn't be in the team as he presents as an easy mark for the opposition to exploit with run off HB, and they did. Cuningham could directly replace his role, but I'd rather we ask a bit more defensively of Garlett and Wright, and let our mids freely rotate through the forward group.

Charlie for Kerr and Ed for Mullett are a no-brainers.

FB: Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB: Thomas Weitering O'Brien
C: Murphy Lang Simpson
HF: SPS C.Curnow Fisher
FF: Wright McKay Garlett

R: Kreuzer Cripps E.Curnow

Int: Kerridge, Dow, SOS, Cuningham
We don’t have the inside players you’re calling upon to do the work Graham did today, that’s simply the state of play. Call out his deficiencies fine, we all know what it he is. Dropping lamb for sos... not sure if you saw him play yesterday but aside from a few hollywood moments he was... unsighted.

Out - O’shea, Kerr, Plowman, Graham
In - Weitering, Curnow x2, Cuningham

Wright has kicked 3 goals in his last 7 games and is totally ineffective in the midfield. Bring in JSOS who is 10 years younger and we don't lose any output whilst still developing the future.

Sounds like he's pretty much a guaranteed IN this week from what Bolts said.

He'll be looking to make some changes after a 100+ thrashing and Cunners was our best in the VFL.

Interestingly he mentioned Phillips but i can't imagine we'd play 2 ruckmen or that he would dislodge Kreuzer.
Bolts was clearly posed at kreuzer. His answer to the gawn question was as close as you’ll see a coach throw his player to the wolves without actually doing it. Mentioning Phillips maybe was an indirect needle at kreuzer to tell him he’s not a guarantee. Honestly hope kreuz is still injured because he was rubbish.

I thought i read somewhere on BF it was in 1996 ?
Last time we played there was Round 20 1997. Lost by 28. Last win was Round 22 1996 when we won by 42. Historically speaking we actually have a positive win/loss ratio at Kardinia Park. In between 1944 and 1997 we've played there 42 times and won 23, lost 19. Soon to be 24-19 ;):p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time we played there was Round 20 1997. Lost by 28. Last win was Round 22 1996 when we won by 42. Historically speaking we actually have a positive win/loss ratio at Kardinia Park. In between 1944 and 1997 we've played there 42 times and won 23, lost 19. Soon to be 24-19 ;):p
Missed it by that much :D:eek: A year !!!

We don’t have the inside players you’re calling upon to do the work Graham did today, that’s simply the state of play. Call out his deficiencies fine, we all know what it he is. Dropping lamb for sos... not sure if you saw him play yesterday but aside from a few hollywood moments he was... unsighted.

Out - O’shea, Kerr, Plowman, Graham
In - Weitering, Curnow x2, Cuningham
I actually dropped Graham for SOS and Lamb for Cuningham, with SOS to come in and have a go as the inside player you're talking about. I don't think anyone in the team has a quicker read or quicker hands than SOS, and I'm including Cripps in that statement.

I didn't go the the game, but I was listening and viewed as much footage as I could, would I be right in saying that he split a fair bit of time between midfield and the forward line? Not his best day out, but he showed himself to be a solid 20 disposals when used in midfield. It's a risk, but I think it's one worth taking coming off the bench to spell our senior mids.

You just know he's going to be prepared to do every little thing he can to get the ball where it needs to go, with a desperation that's arguably over the top. It might suit him to be somewhere his touches can open things up for others.

Out: Rowe (struggled today, and as I’ve been harping on a backline with Rowe and Jones isn’t mobile enough).

O’Shea (gave away four free kicks. Is awful 1 v 1 and doesn’t apply pressure. Has has plenty of chances to prove himself. Can enjoy the bustle and tussle of VFL).

Garlett (he actually got into the game in the second half and showed a glimpse of what he could do after another year in the system. But he squibbed one too many times for mind).

Kerridge or Graham (you cannot have both of these guys in the team. I liked parts of Graham’s game but he gave it back to the opposition far too many times with long, down the line kicking to an outnumbered contest. Kerridge killed us on more than one forward thrust. One has to go).

Kerr: (I’d love to see him get a proper run with it... maybe in the later half of the year).

Cunners (Yes, he will frustrate us but he cannot be playing VFL. He’s too good, too silky and we need midfielders).

JSOS: Has played his guts out in the VFL. Play him off a wing and see what he can do. Make him account to the contest. Force him to get his hands dirty.

I would actually keep Rowe and I think Liam is done, he is shocking, tries his best but he is not upto it. Weiters Marchy sosos cuners curnow x 2 in O’Shea Jones Kerridge mullet Kerr out

Wright has kicked 3 goals in his last 7 games and is totally ineffective in the midfield. Bring in JSOS who is 10 years younger and we don't lose any output whilst still developing the future.

this times 100! has been great last 2 years but that 5 goal haul aside has been poor..

people want cuningham in for graham.has he ever had over 20 touches in a game outside of his rising star nom game?

out garlett.wright.oshea.rowe
in curnows an shaw.weiters

Just on JSOS, there have been suggestions his game could be more suited to back flank/pocket instead of an inside mid.
If the mid role doesn't pan out, I wouldn't mind seeing him tried there at Northern. Even without JSOS down there, we will have an excess of backs after a few return from injury so does anyone think Williamson could move to the wing when he returns?

Funny finding it hard to tip this game. Geelong have not been crash hot this year and bar Gawn having a Warnock moment after the siren wouldn't be in the 8. Ablett, Dangerfield aren't 100% fit, and their forward line is not brilliant (especially now no Menzell), rucks are terrible, their defence is surprisingly good considering the retirees and injuries.

With Curnow (Ed) refreshed, Graham and Kerridge getting some continuity and SPS finally starting to find form, and hopefully Murphy hopefully has blown out some cobwebs and Cripps is top 3 midfielders in comp at the moment we have some semblence of hope to contain them in the midfield. Adding a hopefully switched on Cunningham is also a plus!

If Kreuzer is sore again... send him off and bring in Phillips.

Charlie if back rotate with Kerr playing deep forward or roaming middle of the ground (even play Charlie a bit in the midfield).

Geelong will be mad about their loss, but Essendon has exposed their big weakness in speed and a weak forward movement. Our weakness is immaturity, we are a faster team and we have the opportunity here for a surprise win as long as everyone is on the same page and dedicated to the cause.

Our only saving grace is that Geelong might think we'll be easy fodder and not be there 100% mentally (even though they'll be itching to make a statement).

Out: Garlett, O'shea, Dow, Rowe
In: Curnow, Curnow, Weitering, Cunningham
I can't see this happening, Geelong will be out to make amends for what happened to them on Saturday. I hate to say it, but we could be looking at back to back 100 point losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back