Rob Harvey Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/saints-let-robert-harvey-go/story-e6frf9jf-1226172662248

ST KILDA assistant coach Robert Harvey has quit the club, effective immediately.

This morning St Kilda agreed to grant Harvey and ruck coach Steven King early release from their contracts "to allow them to pursue career opportunities elsewhere".

Harvey said in a club statement leaving the club where he played a record 383 games was a difficult choice, but he was determined to become a senior coach.

Despite being named as caretaker coach after Lyon’s departure, Harvey did not even make the club’s final shortlist of three for the top job.

It is likely he will head to the Magpies to take up a role under their new coach, Nathan Buckley.

It sounds to me he's gone elsewhere to get wider experience. That's probably what he's lacking.

Interesting to note that the next St Kilda coach will come from Collingwood.

Harvey will do what so many others have done, he will spend 2-3 season around the likes of Eade, Buckley, Hine and Buittifant and then he will return to St Kilda as their next senior coach, after they implode once again and Watters is given the flick.

I welcome Robert to Collingwood (cmon we all know it's going to happen), we need a midfield coach, and he is simply put, one of the greatest midfielders of all time.

Not at all surprised by this.
Harvey is notoriously thin skinned and can be a bit of a sook when things don't go his way.

Based on what? When has he sooked previously?

You obviously didn't read the article either where Harvey said he wasn't bitter at St Kilda and that he wanted to build his experience elsewhere to help him become a senior coach. Doesn't sound like sooking to me.

Based on what? When has he sooked previously?

You obviously didn't read the article either where Harvey said he wasn't bitter at St Kilda and that he wanted to build his experience elsewhere to help him become a senior coach. Doesn't sound like sooking to me.

“My decision to leave the St Kilda Football Club was a difficult one. I have a great love for the club and a strong desire to one day return to the club in the future.”

Some people will read only the lines they desire, so as to give them sniping ammo.
Really those who cannot even pass a basic comprehension test, or who have read nothing bu the headline do not have an opinion worth responding to.

I think maybe he saw himself as akin to Hird, Bucks and Vossy again, as a favourite son to coach the team, but as has always been the case, isn't quite in their league
Bit harsh. Harvey was an out and out gun. Ratten wasn't quite the same level as the 3 you mention IMO, but he got the gig. Sometimes it's just timing or a bit of luck. Saints didn't think he was what they were after. He's gone to get more experience to improve his chances. Good luck to him and the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Harvey had a sook. Id be surprised if he ever became a senior coach.

Read what he said before you bag him.

"I met with Scott Watters earlier this week and can see why the club appointed him head coach, he is an excellent choice,” Harvey said.

“The interview process was very robust, something I support wholeheartedly, and I’m certainly better for the experience.

“My decision to leave the St Kilda Football Club was a difficult one. I have a great love for the club and a strong desire to one day return to the club in the future.”

“I believe my coaching development will be best served in a different environment where I can continue to gain the skills required to become a senior coach.”

Jumped before the inevitable fall from grace!
Smart move by both Rob Harvey & Steven King!

yep smart move by king imo, bulldogs are rising from the ashes to be in premiership contention next year.

Voss is a failure so far, seems to have no ability to manage players
Hird hasn't had the balls to cut the rubbish from his list that will never take the club anywhere
Bucks has only managed the civilised removal of MM

Harvey is doing the smart thing and seeking education elsewhere. Would love him at WC.

It sounds to me he's gone elsewhere to get wider experience. That's probably what he's lacking.
Sounds about it to me. First reaction was it sounds like a little bit of a sook, but I suspect it was a reality check too, most of the time teams are going to want someone with wider experence, I think he's doing the right thing.

Put Voss in the saints team of the late 80s-90s and he wouldve disappeared as quick as Sampi. Harvey has always needed a better group around him, first as a player, now as a coach. Good choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rob Harvey Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back