Rob Harvey Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

Worsfold went to Carlton, Voss was coming to West Coast before he took over from Matthews... it's not unheard of for a favourite son to seek assistant coaching experience elsewhere.

Harvey has already spent time at another club getting experience.

The $$$ that collingwood can offer will also have made the decision to walk out on St Kilda that little bit easier.

Has anyone not jumped from St Kilda lately?

Bit of a stench. imo.

Collingwood's had a few people leave as well if you haven't noticed.

Not unusual that when a club changes senior coach that you also see a clean out of assistant coaches as well.

383 career games
2 brownlows
8 All Australian selections
4 times best and fairest winner

need any more?

No no. Point well made. White flag is up.

As a peace offering, please accept one of these medals:

hird_040900-5.jpg

Take your time and pick one.....

(don't know about the rest of you, but I'm having a really good day today.......)

Put Voss in the saints team of the late 80s-90s and he wouldve disappeared as quick as Sampi. Harvey has always needed a better group around him, first as a player, now as a coach. Good choice.
I'm sure you thought this made sense when you wrote it.

I welcome Robert to Collingwood (cmon we all know it's going to happen), we need a midfield coach, and he is simply put, one of the greatest midfielders of all time.

Strange though, not sure our midfield really wowed under his care this year. Jack Steven emerged, however Dal was probably the only one of the senior guys who had a good year.

Admittedly Lenny wasn't there, but they really struggled in contested ball and clearances for much of the season.

I honestly think youth development is more his go, but good on him for challenging himself and seeing if he can do it.

In my honest opinion, as much as I love Robert Harvey the player, I just don't think he would be the head coach we would be looking for. He lacks the killer instinct and comes across as to friendly and quiet.

Very happy with the Watters appointment, but a bit sad Banger couldnt stay on as at least as an assistant. Lord knows he will be back at the club in some way, shape or form, and I can't wait!

Bit harsh. Harvey was an out and out gun. Ratten wasn't quite the same level as the 3 you mention IMO, but he got the gig. Sometimes it's just timing or a bit of luck. Saints didn't think he was what they were after. He's gone to get more experience to improve his chances. Good luck to him and the Saints.

All this says to me is that you didn't see Ratten play much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Harvey went back to St Kilda from Carlton under the impression he would take over from Ross Lyon as the next Senior coach, not surprising he's pissed now that he's been knifed by his own club.

Poor Harvey went back to St Kilda from Carlton under the impression he would take over from Ross Lyon as the next Senior coach, not surprising he's pissed now that he's been knifed by his own club.

Pretty sure Kernahan said this year Carlton moved him on, amongst others.

Still can't believe the hysteria that has come with Harvey leaving.

Big deal, another day in an otherwise standardly uneventful and slow offseason.

Sorry, just to clarify here - are you implying that Ratten the player is in the same league as any of Hird, Harvey, Voss, Buckley?

I would like to go on record and wish Harves the best of luck in his coaching future. I'm sad he's gone, but the right decision has been made for both him and the club.

Thank you for your 20 odd years of loyal service to our club Rob, you are always welcome at St. Kilda. Robert Harvey - Saint for life!!!

In my honest opinion, as much as I love Robert Harvey the player, I just don't think he would be the head coach we would be looking for. He lacks the killer instinct and comes across as to friendly and quiet.

Very happy with the Watters appointment, but a bit sad Banger couldnt stay on as at least as an assistant. Lord knows he will be back at the club in some way, shape or form, and I can't wait!

Did you ever see Scotty Watters play? Scotty was a fairly easy going player who IMO, didn't quite get the best out of his playing career due to his laid back manner. No doubt he's a very smart coach but to say that Harvey does not have the killer instinct...and hence not quite a senior coach...is just plain wrong. On top of that, for all of Harvey's "niceness", he was ruthless on the ground. One of the most competitive blokes to have played the game.

Loved Ratten as a player and was a Carlton champ but surely no-one in their right minds would have him in the same bracket as Hird and Voss...closely followed by Bucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rob Harvey Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back