Robbo Says He's Sorry

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian representative Russell Robertson has apologised for his hip-and-shoulder on Ireland's Tom Kelly during the first Test of the International Rules series at Subiaco, after he was caught on camera smirking following his send-off.

The high-flying Melbourne forward said his laughter as he walked along the sidelines was simply his response to a funny comment from Robert DiPierdomenico after Robertson was given a yellow card.

Robertson was forced to leave the field shortly after half-time last Friday night after standing his ground and flattening an airborne Kelly with a hip-and-shoulder, which is illegal in the hybrid game.

"In the heat of the moment obviously I've done something that I'm used to doing. I paid my penalty - I went and sat on the bench and didn't get much of the ball unfortunately and had to sit and watch," Robertson said after Australia's 90-minute training session at Telstra Dome on Tuesday.

The International Rules debutant said if he was presented with the chance to inflict similar physical punishment during Friday night's second Test at Telstra Dome he wouldn't be repeating his actions.

"I didn't really cannon into him as hard as I possibly could. I wasn't running or sprinting. I just stood my ground and unfortunately for him his arms were up in the air and he was wide open.

"I'm sorry for the bloke that I did it to. I didn't mean to hurt him at all. But that's the way it goes. Sport sometimes happens like that.

"If I get another chance this week I probably won't be doing that again."

But the 26-year-old pointed out that it was difficult for players to curb their natural game after being used to the physicality of Australian Rules. He said other Australian representatives such as Mark Ricciuto and David Neitz had applied bumps in past matches without any malice.

"They (the Irish) have to look at our game and understand it. That's just all part and parcel of it. I've been doing it since I was 10."

Robertson conceded he was embarrassed after being caught on camera laughing after his send-off.

"It was caught on the tape but the big Dip was getting in to me a bit," Robertson said.

"I'm sorry if that looked like I was being a bit arrogant but Dipper can be a funny man and the crowd were giving it to me, too.

"I just had to have a bit of a giggle."

Just when I was to believe Robbo was getting a bit tougher, he comes out with this. Was suprised when he says he's been doing it since hes 10, i havent seen him lay one tough shirtfront on an opponent since hes joined the club.

We know he didn't mean it, the apology that is, judging by his amusement after being sent off.
It was too good an opportunity to let pass. Onya Robbo.

Apparently Dipper told Robbo a joke as he was given the yellow card and thats why he was smirking. :p

Dipper probably said: "If I had done that bump I would've killed that f***ken Irishman!" :D

Disregarding the usual troublemakers who'll hit this thread there will be two types of opinion people who will post.
1. Those apologists who say it was an Aussie Rules thing and no big deal (as Robertson says.
2. Those who say it was wrong, dangerous etc.
So with that in mind do you think it was a good idea to issue an apology now? Or perhaps ever? Perhaps immediately, but four days or so later smacks of being pushed into it.

Coincedentally was just sent this humorous link

I thought it was rather funny (the smiling incident) And Robertson did nothing wrong IMHO. The irish are just being rather precious to cover up their own incompetent performance.

UMmmmmmmmmm imagine if it was a Moloney bump the guy would have been airlifted to the alfred hospital or and irish pub to get surgery

vazie31 said:
UMmmmmmmmmm imagine if it was a Moloney bump the guy would have been airlifted to the alfred hospital or and irish pub to get surgery
Hehe, cant wait to see Beemer in action tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo Says He's Sorry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back