Rocket what have you done to our team

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry..... whilst I too am feeling very deflated by yet another uninspiring effort, and we are facing the prospect of yet another impending meaningless September I am not going to make a scapegoat out of Eade.
He's not the one missing the targets, turning the ball over.

Players need to take the critcism on the chin... not the coach.

I've been supporting the Dogs for 30 years.... and no matter what I will be a member again next year...and the year after... and the one after that... etc etc.
No matter how deflating the game or season, this is the team I've chosen for better or for worse to support, and I could never become so crestfallen as to turn my back on the Dogs.
Players do have to take some of the responsibility but if you remember Rocket was given a stern warning after last years effort and I think he will be close to being pulled into Smorgo's office. I have never seen a whole team get sacked but I have seen coaches, the buck stops at the top and that is with him. He should never have made the comments about making the finals and just aiming for the Hawks game as every opposition supporter and team will be using it against him and the team. He dug a big hole for himself. Never said I will give up on the Dogs but gee supporting them over the last 30 years is like being a Freo supporter over here Bloody Frustrating.

Coon Dog you must be the No.1 of the posters as they all follow what you say but I am sorry mate I just can't agree and we just have to look at the history with us under Eade with our finishes, but I would love nothing more than in 6 weeks to eat all my words but I think I am pretty safe.
One more thing to everyone who is comparing now to the NAB Cup get over that line as we started training before everyone and it was a good time to get some cheap wins but know everyone is improving who is in contention but we are heading backwards you will find it a lot harder to pull it around now than at the beginning of the year as the players minds are starting to play games with themselves thanks to Rockets leadership.

I think we are over estimating Eades words to the general public about us treating the next four weeks like the NAB Cup.
These are glib lines for external consumption... I cannot believe that an astute and competitive person such as Eade would surely be treating the final 4 rounds in such a manner.
We were playing poorly prior to his remarks.

I think the problem is on the field, and it has been masked for the majority of the year in many respects insofar as our confidence levels were very good.

I really think the biggest problem we have is that many of our prime users of the ball are at heart deficient in the skills required for such roles.
Guys like Cross and Boyd, whilst absolute triers and hard at it competitive spirits... are not great ball users... Ray is also subpar in his disposal skills. Thats 3 of our midfielders who have issues with their disposal.

With our high risk game plan... which requires precise and efficient movement of the ball, if players are off their game confidence wise and turnover the ball or fumble or make the wrong decision we are under instant pressure on the counter attack.

Whilst these guys were high in confidence I think they were hitting their targets... but once the confidence started to go.... the doubts in their ability have seen them less effective in their ball use.

I think the last quarter against Geelong may've opened some psychological scars........

TCD....you are a very moderate poster and I consider myself to be fairly level headed, but there's a lot to feel bitter about at the moment.

Eade has to wear some of the blame as of course the players do. It will be a waste of a season however if we go out of the finals in straight sets without giving a yelp (pardon the pun). Unless we address the slump we are in quickly I have genuine fears for the club. It won't take a lot for supporters to jump off.

As for tonight, is there anything worse watching Brisbade flood, our players fail to hit targets and take opportunties, umpiring that defied belief, and commentary that was so biased it was nauseating.

So the dogs two man forward line wasn't 'flooding'??...I'm lost on that one.
We didn't hit too many targets ourselves.
The umpiring was filthy both ways, just watching the replay, just saw aker the star jump on Brennan's back in the middle...nothing!?!?!
When there's more good things to say about one team than another, the commentary will always be a little biased.;)

Always right huh?

Wasn't your night. Brisbane finally hit their straps, and simply played better. But the dogs are capable of more than tonight, and you've still got three weeks till finals, that means three weeks to snap the slump, I don't understand all the fury.;)

Finishing top three means nothing if we get smashed in the finals.

Yes, I would have been thrilled to finish top 3 at the start of the year, but in the last few weeks we've lost to Carlton, North and Brisbane, and I have doubts about the last two rounds.

I don't want another wasted season, I actually want some success for a change.

If?? Hasn't happened just yet.

Yep the signs aren't great just yet, but we are still in a pretty good position.

Players do have to take some of the responsibility but if you remember Rocket was given a stern warning after last years effort and I think he will be close to being pulled into Smorgo's office. I have never seen a whole team get sacked but I have seen coaches, the buck stops at the top and that is with him. He should never have made the comments about making the finals and just aiming for the Hawks game as every opposition supporter and team will be using it against him and the team. He dug a big hole for himself. Never said I will give up on the Dogs but gee supporting them over the last 30 years is like being a Freo supporter over here Bloody Frustrating.

Oh I agree that that at the end of the day the coach is the one who bears ultimate responsibility. I just think that he got us to 13-1-1.. sort of indicates he can coach.

I think the problems are on the field, not off it, and we are not privy to what he's saying internally, and I am pretty confident NO AFL coach would be telling his group interally anything other than to go out 100% and get some form for the finals.

I am sure though that Eade would regret saying what he said, only for the fact that it has given fuel for criticism, now that we have lost.
As I've said though we were playing poorly prior to his comments, so it's hardly cause and effect.

My comments concerning ongoing support of the Dogs, were obviously not directed towards you.

So the dogs two man forward line wasn't 'flooding'??...I'm lost on that one.
We didn't hit too many targets ourselves.
The umpiring was filthy both ways, just watching the replay, just saw aker the star jump on Brennan's back in the middle...nothing!?!?!
When there's more good things to say about one team than another, the commentary will always be a little biased.;)

Always right huh?

Wasn't your night. Brisbane finally hit their straps, and simply played better. But the dogs are capable of more than tonight, and you've still got three weeks till finals, that means three weeks to snap the slump, I don't understand all the fury.;)

Did you see Black dive to the ground and get a free kick PLUS 50 metres? Did you see Bob Murphy getting manhandled in the dying seconds and not receive a free? Did you see Cooney being held by one arm in the first quarter and not receive a free? Did you see when Josh Hill took a step and a half with the ball and get done for holding the ball and yet Brown did the same thing 5 minutes later and nothing was paid? Thats just 4 examples off the top of my head, there were plenty more.

I really don't think Brisbane have much too complain about when it comes to the umpiring tonight.

In many ways, we all do. Red blood cells, white blood cells, and blood can look blue under certain lighting conditions...

blood traveling back to the heart is de-oxygenated, therefore blue.
the white stuff is plasma
red is oxygenated blood coming from the heart.

ive been a supporter for my hole life and have been a member for a a while now, but this past month has just about made me wanna give up following footy, at least our side, honestly, how can you play great footy for 14games, and in 6games decide to play shit, and its happened 2 years in a row, im seriously deciding not renew my membership next year
Well, part of being considered a loyal supporter is sticking with them through the tough times. They need the memberships, and they're trying their best and they're not perfect... don't be so foolish to jump off cause of five weeks of football.

Sorry..... whilst I too am feeling very deflated by yet another uninspiring effort, and we are facing the prospect of yet another impending meaningless September I am not going to make a scapegoat out of Eade.
He's not the one missing the targets, turning the ball over.

Players need to take the critcism on the chin... not the coach.

I've been supporting the Dogs for 30 years.... and no matter what I will be a member again next year...and the year after... and the one after that... etc etc.
No matter how deflating the game or season, this is the team I've chosen for better or for worse to support, and I could never become so crestfallen as to turn my back on the Dogs.
I agree. It's pretty far fetched to call for the coaches head when you're sitting in third. He's clearly proved he knows what he's doing in the modern game and sacking him right now would be an absolute disgrace.

With that said, I believe he's been outcoached in the past two weeks... but shit happens and like the players he just has to snap out of it.

Did you see Black dive to the ground and get a free kick PLUS 50 metres? Did you see Bob Murphy getting manhandled in the dying seconds and not receive a free? Did you see Cooney being held by one arm in the first quarter and not receive a free? Did you see when Josh Hill took a step and a half with the ball and get done for holding the ball and yet Brown did the same thing 5 minutes later and nothing was paid? Thats just 4 examples off the top of my head, there were plenty more.

I really don't think Brisbane have much too complain about when it comes to the umpiring tonight.
What was with the Brisbane supporters booing every free kick even when there was no arguing it was 100% there? Hands right in the middle of the back, free kick, booo!

What was with the Brisbane supporters booing every free kick even when there was no arguing it was 100% there? Hands right in the middle of the back, free kick, booo!

Because most of them are one eyed idiots who jumped on in 01-03 and haven't gotten over the fact Brisbane aren't invincible anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like the Bulldogs season it is time to say Goodnight. I hope I can see clearer tomorrow but I think I will feel worse as i have to go and sit thru the Dockers V Saints game. Dockers games are all so painfull to watch just like the Bulldogs come to think of it.

Blah, blah, blah... the sky is falling, the sky is falling... the only thing that matters is the GF, the only thing that matters is the GF.....and, apparently, the need to vent and contradict oneself.

If the only thing that matters is the GF then why does today matter?

If the only thing that matters is the GF then surely our first double chance since 1998 is a reason for celebration.

Blah, blah blah..... anyone who doesn't agree that the end is nigh is guilty of accepting mediocrity and harbouring a losers mentality....

I am very disappointed with today's game and in particular our inability to lay a tackle or apply any sort of pressure on the ball carrier. And I acknowledge that it does not bode well for the next few weeks. But I am not dispairing because I don't have an inferiority complex or secretly wish I had been born into a non red, white and blue family. I have been following the doggies for close to 50 years and they have given me immense pleasure over this time, even without a premiership. However, Before I Die I would like this premiership drought to become a flood. This year I am particularly excited and keeping faith in the team until it is over.

ps I also hope Eade kicks at least half a dozen arses for the lacklustre performance tonight.

Coon Dog you must be the No.1 of the posters as they all follow what you say but I am sorry mate I just can't agree and we just have to look at the history with us under Eade with our finishes, but I would love nothing more than in 6 weeks to eat all my words but I think I am pretty safe.
One more thing to everyone who is comparing now to the NAB Cup get over that line as we started training before everyone and it was a good time to get some cheap wins but know everyone is improving who is in contention but we are heading backwards you will find it a lot harder to pull it around now than at the beginning of the year as the players minds are starting to play games with themselves thanks to Rockets leadership.

Mate give us a little bit more credit than that, just because TCD comes onto the board and makes reasoned responses that in parts some people agree with it doesn't make the rest of us his deciples. I don't know the guy, I'm assuming he's ok but at the end of the day I respect his right to an opinion and couldn't care less whether or not it differs from my own.

Eade finished 2005 quite well, and we were at the time considered one of the top teams on form in the competition at the end of that home and away season. In 2006 we finished the last six rounds 3 and 3, in an even year for the comp and eventually went down in a semi to the premiers WCE away, after beating he fifth placed Collingwood in a qualifying final. 2007 was obviously ordinary, we had some injuries that affected our structure terribly but one of the major issues we had as a team was our physical size and our ability to mentally commit to the contest, and only drew one and won one out of the last seven games. This year, it seems that we are facing the same issue with injuries, although to a much lesser extent, and more concerning the same problems with our ability to commit to the contest and work for eachother. Eade can guide the playing group in terms of tactics and I am pretty confident the tripe we are being served up at the moment in terms of game plan and execution will be rectified over the next few weeks.

Primarily the players need to turn around their willingness to attack the ball and work for eachother. It comes down to the level of respect they have for eachother and the club in general, including the supporters. They are the ones who have to look in the mirror each day and convince themselves they are doing the best they can. If they can do that without lying to themselves then I think we should see it turn around, if not then we will struggle to finish the season on a positive. Eade has to give the players the tools to help them do this, but in reality it has to come from within the playing group.

As for tonight, is there anything worse watching Brisbade flood, our players fail to hit targets and take opportunties, umpiring that defied belief, and commentary that was so biased it was nauseating.

It really doesn't make choice Saturday night entertainment.

On principle I try to stay positive and I don't bag our players. But I'm gunna admit that right now I feel pretty down, and that during the game I was yelling some things at certain players that would get me kicked off this board to repeat.

Do the players care? What is going through their minds? Honestly, do they care when they let supporters down?

Mate give us a little bit more credit than that, just because TCD comes onto the board and makes reasoned responses that in parts some people agree with it doesn't make the rest of us his deciples. I don't know the guy, I'm assuming he's ok but at the end of the day I respect his right to an opinion and couldn't care less whether or not it differs from my own.

Eade finished 2005 quite well, and we were at the time considered one of the top teams on form in the competition at the end of that home and away season. In 2006 we finished the last six rounds 3 and 3, in an even year for the comp and eventually went down in a semi to the premiers WCE away, after beating he fifth placed Collingwood in a qualifying final. 2007 was obviously ordinary, we had some injuries that affected our structure terribly but one of the major issues we had as a team was our physical size and our ability to mentally commit to the contest, and only drew one and won one out of the last seven games. This year, it seems that we are facing the same issue with injuries, although to a much lesser extent, and more concerning the same problems with our ability to commit to the contest and work for eachother. Eade can guide the playing group in terms of tactics and I am pretty confident the tripe we are being served up at the moment in terms of game plan and execution will be rectified over the next few weeks.

Primarily the players need to turn around their willingness to attack the ball and work for eachother. It comes down to the level of respect they have for eachother and the club in general, including the supporters. They are the ones who have to look in the mirror each day and convince themselves they are doing the best they can. If they can do that without lying to themselves then I think we should see it turn around, if not then we will struggle to finish the season on a positive. Eade has to give the players the tools to help them do this, but in reality it has to come from within the playing group.
Champ you can paint up a blue sky and say what you want about Eade and the players but I will say again I have never seen a whole team get sacked but I have seen plenty of coaches and Eade was given the right act last year and if we head down that path again this year do not expect Smorgan and his mate Rose to accept Eade's effort as the buck will stop with him. 2005 and 2006 we had J. Cordy as our fitness coach who was very good and now is doing great work with Carlton but we have since got the assistant from Geelong who got the chop from them 2 years ago and has since done pretty average with our year ending form an appointment made by Eade, so take the blinkers off and look at the big picture as the vultures will circle if we fail again

It really doesn't make choice Saturday night entertainment.

On principle I try to stay positive and I don't bag our players. But I'm gunna admit that right now I feel pretty down, and that during the game I was yelling some things at certain players that would get me kicked off this board to repeat.

Do the players care? What is going through their minds? Honestly, do they care when they let supporters down?
Nop they just worry about themselves, supporters are there to make them feel like stars. The days of real Doggies players playing just for the jumper are just about gone with Johnno and Westy gone soon.

I was at the match with friends and family. Some doggie, some Lions.
Brisbane were very very fortunate at times in the match with the umpiring.Especially in the last half of the last quarter, you guys could not turn a trick.
A few costly ones for you guys resulted in Lions goals as well.

Minson was on the ground for about 15 minutes prior to warm ups, just kicking at goals.

Strange placements and man ups for you guys.

As for the crowd, I was ashamed at times, with the nastiness at Aka.Although he had a lot of support from the crowd in our area, even those in lions gear, shouting out Go Aka. The little kids were eeal cute, they still love him.

Champ you can paint up a blue sky and say what you want about Eade and the players but I will say again I have never seen a whole team get sacked but I have seen plenty of coaches and Eade was given the right act last year and if we head down that path again this year do not expect Smorgan and his mate Rose to accept Eade's effort as the buck will stop with him. 2005 and 2006 we had J. Cordy as our fitness coach who was very good and now is doing great work with Carlton but we have since got the assistant from Geelong who got the chop from them 2 years ago and has since done pretty average with our year ending form an appointment made by Eade, so take the blinkers off and look at the big picture as the vultures will circle if we fail again

Yeah well I guess we can sack the coach, even if the players are the ones that are defining our performances. But if we do so, I guess we can't in the future have a crack at the Saints or the Tigers for allowing the playing group to get away with what ever they like, with a revolving door to the coaches office.

As for Geelong, they improved after they sacked their fitness coach who now is a member of our organisation, but at the same time they had serious question marks about their coach. We have taken on this fitness "hack" and have all of a sudden improved our ladder position by ten places from last year (although finals may have us finish lower than third, but at worst case it will be an improvement by five spots), with the same coach we had question marks over for the six months prior to the start of the season. So, do you think the improvement that occurred down at Geelong over the last two years and the improvement experienced at the Bulldogs this year is down to the staff, or is it down to the playing group? My bet is it's a case of the playing group raising their level of expectation on their own performances, and IMO this is the area where we have dropped off.

Don't call me "champ" and don't accuse me of painting a nice blue sky and not seeing the bigger picture. I'm using reason in my posts and I just have a differing opinion than you, mine is focussed on the playing group, yours is on the coach. While we may have had Cordy in 2005 and 2006 our ladder position at the end of each of those home and away seasons was ninth and eighth respectively. In 2008 at the end of the home and away season we will be in the top four. I'm pretty comfortable about where we sit in comparison.

geez it obviously looks like were a team that has nothing to play for and don't seem intrested. both brisbane and the kangas need to win those games and so be it. i have no doubt the players will be switched on like in 2006 when we faced the pies. if we knock off the hawks most people will forget all about these past couple of weeks.

now im not saying that the losses arn't acceptable as id prefer the wins but we didn't play to poorly today our kicking for goal is what let us down.

Yeah well I guess we can sack the coach, even if the players are the ones that are defining our performances. But if we do so, I guess we can't in the future have a crack at the Saints or the Tigers for allowing the playing group to get away with what ever they like, with a revolving door to the coaches office.

As for Geelong, they improved after they sacked their fitness coach who now is a member of our organisation, but at the same time they had serious question marks about their coach. We have taken on this fitness "hack" and have all of a sudden improved our ladder position by ten places from last year (although finals may have us finish lower than third, but at worst case it will be an improvement by five spots), with the same coach we had question marks over for the six months prior to the start of the season. So, do you think the improvement that occurred down at Geelong over the last two years and the improvement experienced at the Bulldogs this year is down to the staff, or is it down to the playing group? My bet is it's a case of the playing group raising their level of expectation on their own performances, and IMO this is the area where we have dropped off.

Don't call me "champ" and don't accuse me of painting a nice blue sky and not seeing the bigger picture. I'm using reason in my posts and I just have a differing opinion than you, mine is focussed on the playing group, yours is on the coach. While we may have had Cordy in 2005 and 2006 our ladder position at the end of each of those home and away seasons was ninth and eighth respectively. In 2008 at the end of the home and away season we will be in the top four. I'm pretty comfortable about where we sit in comparison.
Well champ it sounds like you are satisfied with being average because until we win a flag we are average it does not matter where you finish it matters about who wins the cup and a lot of doggie fans are sick of not getting there.
I think you need to study up as the fitness coach was sacked by Geelong as they were unfit and carrying weight then 2 years ago they got a new fitness coach who has turned them around not ours. 2005 and 2006 we came from being bottom, last year with 7 weeks to go we were equal 3rd, so not the same story except we look slow and unfit.
You should go down to the ground tomorrow and tell Rocket and the boys well done for the year and don't worry there is always next year.

Mate we have that spin from people for the last four weeks "if you told me we would be", but each week the scenario gets worse. Both the Cats and Hawks are building momentum and getting a good side settled, we on the other hand look a slow out of form rabble and if you think week 1 of the finals we will turn up and all of a sudden switch a magic light on then I am afraid you might be in Queensland with the Bulldogs at Dreamworld.
You maybe right as to whether we can turn it around,let's hope not.
But don't put Hawthorn up there as building momentum cause there form has nearly been as bad as our's over the last few weeks.
Have a quick look at their site and the supporters there are saying the same thing as we are.
This could be one positive that we may run each other into form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocket what have you done to our team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back