Rohan Connolly

Remove this Banner Ad

If Rohan Connolly is reading this, I want to thank him for his anti-relocation comments he just made on 3aw. A caller rang up commenting on the Christmas deadline and Jon Ralph's comments in today's paper. Rohan Connolly said that it is the perception that is painted in the media that people believe and he knows that there are a lot of passionate North Melbourne supporters who don't want to see the club move. He also said that he doesn't want to be a part of the media that kills off a club! AND he said that the talk about the GC being the big saviour is rubbish! :thumbsu:

If Wilson lets him :rolleyes:, I would love to see Rohan Connolly write an article in The Age about this. It would be great to see a positive anti-relocation article for a change.

If He also said that he doesn't want to be a part of the media that kills off a club!

That is such a pertinent comment, and it is obvious that this is their tactic for him to say such a thing.

Good stuff Rohan, but watch your back around the office. Your boss has been known to slip the knife in.

I heard him as well.
About time we had other journalists tell the other side of the story.
Nice comment at the end when we said "I dont want to be part of the media responsible for relocating this club" or to that effect.

Hats off to Tony the caller that raised this, and had a go at John Ralph for his comments re. the supporters.

cheers Rohan, i am so sick of this GC talk and relocation, it turns me off coming on bigfooty becuase thats all you can practically read on here. i want to read about real football and how the boys are training, not read about relocation
Got it in one Micky, I'm sick of reading all this depressing bullshiyte on here of late, can't someone post a football related thread for once?

Got it in one Micky, I'm sick of reading all this depressing bullshiyte on here of late, can't someone post a football related thread for once?

How do you think we'll go against Essendon in 147 days time? (How long ago does it seem since Round 10 when West Coast beat us at Subiaco by 11 goals? Well that was 148 days ago.)

How do you think we'll go against Essendon in 147 days time? (How long ago does it seem since Round 10 when West Coast beat us at Subiaco by 11 goals? Well that was 148 days ago.)
We'll flog 'em.

I heard him as well.
About time we had other journalists tell the other side of the story.
Nice comment at the end when we said "I dont want to be part of the media responsible for relocating this club" or to that effect.

Hats off to Tony the caller that raised this, and had a go at John Ralph for his comments re. the supporters.

Its about time we got our former players to grow a pair and show that they love our club and want to fight for it.

Well there is one sports writer who will be searching seek.com as of tomorrow 8.30 am.

Hell hath no fury, boys, and we saw what happened with Grant 'Juice-me-up' Thomas. IIRC He was fired five times before he closed his mouth after whatever it was he said (I can't even remember what he said TBH) because 'Caro said so'.

It's a pity- i liked Rohan Connolly.

Maybe he will freelance for a while and write for my site?

Nah- even he isn't up to my high-quality standards :D (Just kidding).

I heard RC on 3aw as well and I have to agree with the positive comments from here in his direction. He was sitting next to Caro as he said it all as well. To have some support from the media was sensational to hear.

ONYA Rohan :thumbsu:

I'm trying to picture a staff meeting at "The Age" as Caro, being Chief Football ahem, Gossip/Slander/Libel/Bullshyte/Opinion Piece, Writer lays out the stories everyone's trying to nail down for that day. You say you'll be doing a "feelgood piece in support of the Melbourne based grassroots supporters and their clubs"................and Caro retorts with a cocky "Oh Rohan pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease...........................let's not be ridiculous!"

Thanks Rohan and you're damned right..................we won't be taking this crap lying down. It is indeed media driven and on behalf of us North Melbourne through and through fanatical members and supporters.....................thankyou very much for lending us a voice :thumbsu:

Keep it up mate.

T'toes

Of all the 'footy' journos going around, Rohan knows the game better than all of them. Personally, I think it's time the head footy writer at The Age actually discussed the sport.

Good stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there is one sports writer who will be searching seek.com as of tomorrow 8.30 am.

Hell hath no fury, boys, and we saw what happened with Grant 'Juice-me-up' Thomas. IIRC He was fired five times before he closed his mouth after whatever it was he said (I can't even remember what he said TBH) because 'Caro said so'.

It's a pity- i liked Rohan Connolly.

Maybe he will freelance for a while and write for my site?

Nah- even he isn't up to my high-quality standards :D (Just kidding).

Grant Thomas said on SEN that both he and Caro were writing separate articles about Luke Ball. Caro called him up and said they should put their heads together cause they were writing the same things. Thomas hit back with "That's impossible cause I write about facts and the truth and you write about lies and innuendo".

This was also on the same day that Caro wrote an article about Thomas saying he was a staunch catholic. Apparently he hadn't been to church for 30+ years.

Grant Thomas said on SEN that both he and Caro were writing separate articles about Luke Ball. Caro called him up and said they should put their heads together cause they were writing the same things. Thomas hit back with "That's impossible cause I write about facts and the truth and you write about lies and innuendo".

This was also on the same day that Caro wrote an article about Thomas saying he was a staunch catholic. Apparently he hadn't been to church for 30+ years.

Sounds about right. Whose side were you on?

I sent him an email thanking him and he had the courtasy to reply. What a legend.

I sent him an email thanking him and he had the courtasy to reply. What a legend.

What a top bloke.I got a reply as well (sorry for the lengthy post):

"Hi Rohan,

Just a quick note to thankyou for your kind words on 3AW about the North Melbourne Football Club. It was great hearing someone from the media not going along with an obvious AFL agenda, and having an opinion of their own. There are a lot of passionate North supporters who will dig in when, or if, the time comes. Keep up the good work"

"Hi,

Thanks a lot for your email. I've had a few today from Roo fans, and I understand how pissed off and frustrated you must all be feeling about the speculation. I've simply been trying to make the point that a lot of these pushes can become self-fulfilling prophecies because it's easier just to trot out the blanket line that re-locations, mergers etc. are inevitable. There was a similar philosophy at play when the Melbourne-Hawthorn merger was on the table back in 1996, and we all know that supposed inevitability ended up being far from the reality.

I think sometimes there's an unfortunate tendency in the media simply to "barrack for the story", and no doubt there'd be plenty of copy to be had out of a relocation. I suspect we as an industry are sometimes also guilty of underestimating the emotional attachment fans have to their clubs. I don't ever want to be accused of helping rob someone of their club just because it was going to give me a good story.

I'm also not convinced the Gold Coast is the magic elixir some seem to think without questioning. I remember hearing a lot of the same arguments for the GC when the Brisbane Bears started out, and no one could argue that was anything more than a dismal failure.

I really hope the Roo fans can rally enough to at least give the critics food for thought, and I think most football fans would feel similarly. Their efforts as a club for a long time now have certainly deserved a better deal and more consideration than what they seem to have been given."

"Hi Rohan,

Thanks for your detailed reply, I really appreciate it, and you have my utmost respect as a journalist, something that some of your workmates could not be described as. With people such as you keeping an open mind I have the feeling that the fight is not lost and we just need more supporters to get on board as members. Do you mind if I share your email on the Big Footy website? Again many thanks for your reply."

"Hi,

No probs if you want to post that. I've sent pretty much the same thing to a few others today, so if they see it on an internet forum and think I'm just posting a "form" letter to you all, would you mind just pointing out that I do read and try to respond to them all, but in this case particularly, the message seemed to be essentially the same.

Anyway, good luck with the battle. Hope you guys can really rally around your club.

Cheers
Rohan"

What a star.

And he is absolutely 100% on the money when he refers to the press "barracking for the story". If North Melbourne dies, Wilson will write a story about the death of a footy club that she'll probably win an award for. That is irony on a fantastic scale.

Once this is done, I'm pitching for a "Connolly for head footy writer" campaign. He knows the game and obviously cares about his proffession and the fabric of the sport.

Champion.

In that case I will post my email that he sent me;

Pretty much the same :)

My letter;
Dear Rohan,

I was pleased to learn of your views in regards to the North Melbourne Football Club and relocation. What you said on 3AW was particularly powerful and I wish other people in the media actually thought about the situation like you have.

I urge you to write an opinion piece for The Age providing your opinion on relocation. I realise it may be hard to slide past Caroline Wilson as she possess an unnatural hatred of the Kangaroos formed back in the 70's, but an article about the why the Kangaroos shouldn’t relocate is exactly what our supporters need to read at such an emotional time for the club.

I am glad you are not conforming to the current trend of media in this country.

Regards
Tom Grant

His reply;

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your email. I have received a few similar ones from Kangaroo fans recently, and I understand how frustrating and upsetting all the speculation about the future of your club must be.

As I've said to others who have dropped me a line, I've just been trying to make the point that a lot of these pushes can become self-fulfilling prophecies because it's easier just to trot out the blanket line that re-locations, mergers etc. are inevitable. There was a similar philosophy at play when the Melbourne-Hawthorn merger was on the table back in 1996, and we all know that supposed inevitability ended up being far from the reality.

I think sometimes there's an unfortunate tendency in the media simply to "barrack for the story", and no doubt there'd be plenty of copy to be had out of a relocation. I suspect we as an industry are sometimes also guilty of underestimating the emotional attachment fans have to their clubs. I don't ever want to be accused of helping rob someone of their club just because it was going to give me a good story.

I'm also not convinced the Gold Coast is the magic elixir some seem to think without questioning. I remember hearing a lot of the same arguments for the GC when the Brisbane Bears started out, and no one could argue that was anything more than a dismal failure.

I really hope the Roo fans can rally enough to at least give the critics food for thought, and I think most football fans would feel similarly. Their efforts as a club for a long time now have certainly deserved a better deal and more consideration than what they seem to have been given.

I am thinking about writing something this week along these lines. Famous last words, of course, because I have a bit on my plate, but if there's a chance, I will.

Cheers,
Rohan

Awesome response.
Great to see that someone that is in the industry can still see through all the shit, and knows what impact someone in his position can have - and takes that responsibility seriously.

Now give us an article to rally the troops and keep the momentum going Rohan.

Yep, I got a similar reply.

Let's hope he gets a story along these lines up ; and then let's flood the Age with letters & emails commending him, and contrasting his contributions with those of the vile serpent.

Is it too much to hope for ? North to stay at Arden St, AND Caro looking for a job ? :)

Sensational work by Rohan.

Especially the part about the journos "barracking for the story". Definitely something I've noticed but haven't been able to describe so well.

Le Grande, Russell, Wilson are suspects one, two and three.

Rohan is blogging at the moment on The Aged website.

Like his answer to this question:

Hi Rohan,
In your experience and keen eye...Whats gone wrong with the Hawks this year? Its like they are one hit wonders.
Also are North Melbourne gearing for a move or staying put?
Cheers,
D

Hi DT,
Good to hear from you! Hawks? I think it's a combination of things. Obviously injuries and interrupted pre-seasons have taken a big toll. Also, I think other clubs have worked out their zone a bit better, the ball's entering their defensive 50 a fair bit more this season. Finally, I just think that flag may have taken the edge of the hunger a little. And North? They're staying put, despite what some people in this industry would dearly love them to do to be proven right!
- Rohan Connolly

http://blogs.theage.com.au/realfooty/archives/2009/06/connollys_round_8.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan Connolly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back