Rolling Stones rumoured to be calling it quits

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we can talk Mick Taylor without Keith's legendary quote about him:

"In the end he learnt he's a very good guitarist and not much more than that."

If you listen to the output Mick Taylor contributed between 1969-1974, describing it as "a very good guitarist and not much more than that" is a massive understatement. If Jagger wasn't such a control freak, and Richards wasn't such a jealous and pathetically insecure person you would have seen "Jagger/Taylor" a few times too.

As much as Keith likes to wank off on his "ancient art of weaving" bullshit, the rest of the planet knows their musical peak was between 1969-1974 and Ronnie Wood is one of the luckiest musicians in rock history. Watch "Ladies and Gentlemen" from 1972, then watch "Live in Texas" in 1978 and tell me with a straight face it's remotely the same band. Almost the same band, in some cases the very same songs. Just one massive personnel change.

If you listen to the output Mick Taylor contributed between 1969-1974, describing it as "a very good guitarist and not much more than that" is a massive understatement. If Jagger wasn't such a control freak, and Richards wasn't such a jealous and pathetically insecure person you would have seen "Jagger/Taylor" a few times too.

As much as Keith likes to wank off on his "ancient art of weaving" bullshit, the rest of the planet knows their musical peak was between 1969-1974 and Ronnie Wood is one of the luckiest musicians in rock history. Watch "Ladies and Gentlemen" from 1972, then watch "Live in Texas" in 1978 and tell me with a straight face it's remotely the same band. Almost the same band, in some cases the very same songs. Just one massive personnel change.
No doubt. I love the Mick Taylor era. I'm equally pissed about Mick's pettiness and Keith's jealousy ensuring it didn't last long. Don't think I've met anyone who likes Ronnie Wood.

No doubt. I love the Mick Taylor era. I'm equally pissed about Mick's pettiness and Keith's jealousy ensuring it didn't last long. Don't think I've met anyone who likes Ronnie Wood.
Yep, Ron Wood is a bit shit but back onto Black and Blue, Ron Wood makes his slide scream on this track

Starts at 3:40

It also annoys me for all the money Jagger and Richards have that they done throw Taylor a bone. I'm sure they paid him for the work he did on the Exile remasters but f*** me, they have a couple of hundred million each. At least set up a trust at least.

Disappointing that they don't do something to look after him.

It also annoys me for all the money Jagger and Richards have that they done throw Taylor a bone. I'm sure they paid him for the work he did on the Exile remasters but f*** me, they have a couple of hundred million each. At least set up a trust at least.

Disappointing that they don't do something to look after him.
Mick in particular is a very selfish individual.

Mick in particular is a very selfish individual.

To be honest, I think Keith is much worse. Jagger runs the band completely, and whatever his faults, it's a huge responsibility to have. He certainly didn't want Taylor to leave at the time, and I've got no doubt the reason he wrote songs with him was an insurance policy in case the worst happened with Richards. He also could have got anyone to record guitar parts for the Exile re-issue, the fact that he asked Taylor to indicates they must still get along.

Richards on the other hand can't face admitting there have been other people in the band superior to him. He won't talk about Brian Jones (except to denigrate him) because a) he was older, b) he was a better musician, c) he started the band. He'll rarely talk about Taylor because he was dwarfed by him musically. Which is a shame as they brought the best out of each other and I still think it's the best guitar tag-team in rock history. He wanted another guitarist in the band that was no threat to him either as a songwriter or musician. He got what he wanted.

To be fair, as a person Ronnie Wood seems quite likeable. I've seen footage of the Hall of Fame induction from 1989 and he goes out of his way to involve Mick Taylor, more than himself. By all accounts he's a terrific guy. Unfortunately, his guitar playing is far more rhythm-based, it's a style that worked sensationally with the Faces (who I love), but it was a horrible fit for the Stones. He had enormous shoes to fill and he wasn't and isn't remotely up to it.

To be fair, as a person Ronnie Wood seems quite likeable. I've seen footage of the Hall of Fame induction from 1989 and he goes out of his way to involve Mick Taylor, more than himself. By all accounts he's a terrific guy. Unfortunately, his guitar playing is far more rhythm-based, it's a style that worked sensationally with the Faces (who I love), but it was a horrible fit for the Stones. He had enormous shoes to fill and he wasn't and isn't remotely up to it.

Good man :thumbsu:

Taylor has played on a few of Ronnie's solo albums as well. He also played one on track on Keith's first solo album, although it can be read as passive aggressive because it's a standard 50s RnR track that doesn't allow him to shine at all.

I reject the idea Ronnie wasn't a good for the Stones; I think he was the perfect fit. Taylor and Jones were worlds apart as players, so I don't think there was a typical lead guitar style for the band. Faces are musically similar to the Stones and the bands were/have been close, logical move. He's written some great tracks for the band too: Black Limo, Everything is Turning to Gold, Pretty Beat Up. Hell, I even like his tracks on Dirty Work.

His solo albums are usually strong, but an aquired taste. It's a shame he hasn't been able to submit any songs with a sole credit, or any at all since 1986.

That being said, you only have to listen to any version of Gimme Shelter from '73 to realise that was the absolute peak for the band.

Playing This one at the moment
Pretty Much been on the stones all week:thumbsu:
Voodoo%20Lounge.jpg

Playing This one at the moment
Pretty Much been on the stones all week:thumbsu:
Voodoo%20Lounge.jpg

Not one of my favourites TBH. Although 'Thru & Thru' is a great relaxing listen after a big night. 'Love is Strong' was a strong single, even if it did borrow from Keith's 'Wicked as It Seems'.

Don't mind 'The Worst', 'I Go Wild', or 'Baby Break It Down' either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reject the idea Ronnie wasn't a good for the Stones; I think he was the perfect fit. Taylor and Jones were worlds apart as players, so I don't think there was a typical lead guitar style for the band. Faces are musically similar to the Stones and the bands were/have been close, logical move. He's written some great tracks for the band too: Black Limo, Everything is Turning to Gold, Pretty Beat Up. Hell, I even like his tracks on Dirty Work.

His solo albums are usually strong, but an aquired taste. It's a shame he hasn't been able to submit any songs with a sole credit, or any at all since 1986.

That being said, you only have to listen to any version of Gimme Shelter from '73 to realise that was the absolute peak for the band.

Fair enough, I still disagree though. In look, attitude, chemistry with the other band members, probably perfect on all counts. But not in musical ability, and to me that is still the number one requirement. I agree totally there was never a template that the 2nd guitarist had to fit, but when the time came he has to know his stuff. Wood's greatest guitar work - by far - is his rhythm playing with the Faces and the cool open E riffs he meshed in with their sound. His biggest flaw equally by far is lack of soloing ability. Unfortunately it's the latter that was required with the Stones.

Fair enough, I still disagree though. In look, attitude, chemistry with the other band members, probably perfect on all counts. But not in musical ability, and to me that is still the number one requirement. I agree totally there was never a template that the 2nd guitarist had to fit, but when the time came he has to know his stuff. Wood's greatest guitar work - by far - is his rhythm playing with the Faces and the cool open E riffs he meshed in with their sound. His biggest flaw equally by far is lack of soloing ability. Unfortunately it's the latter that was required with the Stones.
I agree. Ron Wood is an imposter. Generally the Stones were weak after Some Girls. Tattoo You had its moments but could have been better. You are right in that the Stones need a player strong on solo. Who knows, their used y date may have been up anyway but i can't help be feel we would have got some better material with a better replacement.

Taylor's ability to integrate his soloing into their music is total craftsmanship. Very subtle, eloquent, and elegant. This Kent did pre solo solos FFS. Have a list to the solo work he plays behind the sax solo in Can't You Here Me Knocking.

I pity da fool who thinks the Stones are a one dimensional Start Me
Up type stadium rock outfit.

I agree. Ron Wood is an imposter. Generally the Stones were weak after Some Girls. Tattoo You had its moments but could have been better. You are right in that the Stones need a player strong on solo. Who knows, their used y date may have been up anyway but i can't help be feel we would have got some better material with a better replacement.

Taylor's ability to integrate his soloing into their music is total craftsmanship. Very subtle, eloquent, and elegant. This Kent did pre solo solos FFS. Have a list to the solo work he plays behind the sax solo in Can't You Here Me Knocking.

Now there's something we can all agree on. CYHMK, everything on Sticky Fingers & Exile, Midnight Rambler, Salt of the Earth, Gimme Shelter, Fingerprint File, Memory Motel, and stuff like Thru & Thru, Sleep Tonight, How Can I Stop, ...so much more than stadium rock.

I'd say Tattoo You (and even Bridges to Babylon) are streets ahead of Some Girls, but that's a matter of opinion. I will concede Beast of Burden is right at the top of their post-Taylor output.

Bridges has some some dodgy arse production & musical decisions on it:confused:
surly Voodoo is the stronger LP front to back. More Stonesy

That's why I'm a fan of Bridges. A modern take on the balance between Mick's desire to stay relevant, and Keith's laid back Winos grooves.

It's combination of sessions for the Jagger solo album and a Richards solo album. Jagger's stuff is the more out there, getting in all kinds of producers, rappers and massive synths. Think 'Anybody Seen My Baby', 'Might as Well Get Juiced', 'Saint of Me'...very solo Jagger. Solid tracks too, but 'Always Suffering' and 'Already Over Me' weren't quite to the mark. 'Juiced' in particular is brilliant, produced like **** but still a cool blues under all the layers.

Then the Keith tracks the Winos had been working on... 'Flip the Switch', 'Too Tight', and the three songs Keith sings. 'Switch' and 'Tight" have great riffs and guitars, and minimal production. 'Thief in the Night' and 'How Can I Stop' together at the end is an excellent coda of relaxing soulful grooves in Keith's recent gravelly ballad style.

'Out of Control' is probably the highlight of the album, I forget who wrote most of it though. The Stones have actually been rehearsing this one for the upcoming run of five shows.

Voodoo Lounge, I can appriciate as a Stonesy sound with plenty of acoustics. But I can't help but think it was Don Was' idea to try and do another Exile.

Pretty much on the money I think.

Some Girls was - and is - a very good album. No dispute there. When Tattoo You came out and was even better, we all thought the magic was still there. What we've learned since of course is that Jagger had it mixed to all sound recent and cohesive, when it was neither, and that they had so much confidence in Ron Wood's guitar playing at that point two of the songs still had Taylor's complete guitar parts on them.

I've got nothing against him, and I love the Faces. But he was the luckiest guy in rock history.

Pretty much on the money I think.

Some Girls was - and is - a very good album. No dispute there. When Tattoo You came out and was even better, we all thought the magic was still there. What we've learned since of course is that Jagger had it mixed to all sound recent and cohesive, when it was neither, and that they had so much confidence in Ron Wood's guitar playing at that point two of the songs still had Taylor's complete guitar parts on them.

I've got nothing against him, and I love the Faces. But he was the luckiest guy in rock history.
my understanding is that around when tattoo You was being recorded Ron Wood had a crack cocaine problem and nearly got dumped for George thorogood.

Watched Pt 1 of the Crossfire Hurricane Doco the other night..

So far so good. Really well done, great footage and comentary from all the band members.
They really knew what they were doing image wise. So aware of their influence in the early days..
Some great live footage/interviews through it to.

Just have to wait until BBC2 air pt2 now..
Should be online in a few days:thumbsu:

Watching it now. Comedy gold at a gig in the 70s.

Journo: There were pills going around, what were they?
Mick: Oh. Vitamin and salt pills.

Hahahahahahaha.

Edit: Just realised this is the first time I've seen Brian Jones on video and the first time I've heard him speak. Remarkable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rolling Stones rumoured to be calling it quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back