Rookie Draft pick 8: Lee Spurr

Remove this Banner Ad

Pav hasn't formally been moved to the Vets list yet.. Don't count your chickens..

Wow... Think you are right actually. Seems we delisted/retired 6 off the main list and replaced them with only 6 again. Very surprised we didn't in fact move him onto the vets list.

Don't think vets effect having a nominated rookie, just effects the number of rookies in total. But I don't know for certain.

Very confident it does it fact. I remember last year we could only nominate 1 + LTI's while the previous was two. Should still have a spot for Spurr or Pearce though given Pav wasn't moved. We get the ability to upgrade one mid-season IIRC.

EDIT: Forgot about the Lower upgrade, suggesting Pav did in fact go to the Vets list and we don't have the ability to upgrade a player save LTI's (touchwood again).

Pav hasn't formally been moved to the Vets list yet.. Don't count your chickens..

Wouldn't we have to delist someone if he wasn't upgraded? I thought we were just waiting for confirmation that we would get Dawson.
I think one rookie can be elevated at the beginning of the season irrespective of the vet situation and then you can upgrade another later in the season or when there are long-term injuries. don't hold me to it though.

Veteran Players

Under AFL player rules, each club may nominate or list any number of what are called Veteran Player’s.

In order to be eligible for classification as a Veteran a player must have been the age of 30 as at September 30 in the relevant AFL season and be on the primary list of the AFL club for at least 10 years or in the case of Port Adelaide since the inception of the club.
From 2006 there is now no limit on the number of veteran players a club can list, as long as the player meets the required classification.

Rookie Players

All clubs can maintain a rookie list of up to six players. Participation at the NAB AFL Rookie Draft is voluntary. A player included on a clubs rookie list cannot play for the club in the AFL except in the Pre-Season competition of if a rookie-listed player is promoted as a long term injury replacement player
A rookie player must be 18 (and under 23) before December 31 in the year he is drafted. Sydney & Brisbane can include one or more players on their rookie list during the period between the NAB Pre-Season draft and the NAB Rookie Draft provided the player has resided in NSW or the ACT (in the case of Sydney) or Queensland (in the case of Brisbane) for at least three years before his selection. This encourages Sydney & Brisbane to invest in local players who were not selected at either the NAB AFL Draft or the NAB Pre-Season Draft.
A club can retain a maximum of three players on its rookie list for a second season provided it nominates those players at the time of the compulsory list lodgement.

from here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lee Spurr was an absolute gun at all ages of his Qld junior levels, played two sensational U/18 year's in the national championships - Vice Captained the Allies Side then played a senior year with Morningside but for some unknown political reason he got overlooked, he got so frustrated with the system in Qld and the crap that was fed to him, he then moved to SA. He won the Central Districs FC Reserves B&F in his first year and has been a senior player in 3 G/F sides with that Club ever since, finally along with many great games and after a blistering second half with Centrals in this years loosing G/F he has been picked up by Fremantle with their first rookie draft pick No 8 overall.

Well done Dockers you have got the bargin of the decade.

Most other kids would have given it away but Spurr had his point to prove - that was, he believed was good enough to play at a higher level and through this I recon he will, hopefully he will get elevated to a senior spot with the Dockers. Amazingly at 24 he still had that dream and a belief in himself.

It is those, including parents / administrators / coaches etc that give up on those players who have those dreams who ruin it for them by them also believing the negitive that they wont make it.

Any parent / administrator / coach who consitantly tell their kids that they have lost their chance to play AFL footy because they dont get drafted after their 18th year are kidding themselves - there may not be a Father Xmas for those kids who dont believe, but while you have you dreams of making it, you will always have your hope to be part of it. Well done Spurry and may there be many more like you who never give up their dreams and get to go on that ride of a lifetime.

PS, I am just a pissed off Qld'er football supporter who is sick and tired of seeing favoured gumbies who can't play get picked up every year and then fail, while the good kids like Spurry keep perserveering, busting their gut each year to reach their dream that others get for free. I will be Barraking for the Dockers when they Play the Lions and The GC Suns and I just hope Lee gets his chance to towel them both up.

Top write up, thanks :thumbsu:

So why hasn't he made the cut earlier? I've heard his name throw around hear and there, but don't know much about him. Why has he missed out earlier (sounds like he was close).

Because recruiters have got an unhealthy preoccupation with children. Once a player reaches 19 they are too old. :eek:

Should have gone in the main draft, is ready to go in round 1. One of the best players we have had at Central, just love his versatility, his fitness, his marking and his thumping kick...and not to mention his hunger for winning....and to top it off is a champion bloke.

Plays the quarterback role very well, will run the ball out of defence constantly but not stop there, before you know it he is in the forward line marking the work he started. Good skills by hand and especially by foot and a powerful high leaping overhead mark. A good intercepter of the ball coming in, reads the play well. Not quick though, is of average pace but runs the miles, and will easily match AFL players for workrate and fitness. Can rack the ball up across half-back and run through the guts, at times has got around 30 touches and 12 marks in the SANFL but sometimes as low as around 10 when things don't go his way. But a super player and far too good for the SANFL. To me he is very much a cross between Gram and Hodge for an AFL like player, probably closer to Gram but a better mark than Gram and tougher.

Sad to see him leave the kennel but will be watching Freo very closely all season. Is a better footballer than Lower as well, much better.

Should have gone in the main draft, is ready to go in round 1. One of the best players we have had at Central, just love his versatility, his fitness, his marking and his thumping kick...and not to mention his hunger for winning....and to top it off is a champion bloke.

Plays the quarterback role very well, will run the ball out of defence constantly but not stop there, before you know it he is in the forward line marking the work he started. Good skills by hand and especially by foot and a powerful high leaping overhead mark. A good intercepter of the ball coming in, reads the play well. Not quick though, is of average pace but runs the miles, and will easily match AFL players for workrate and fitness. Can rack the ball up across half-back and run through the guts, at times has got around 30 touches and 12 marks in the SANFL but sometimes as low as around 10 when things don't go his way. But a super player and far too good for the SANFL. To me he is very much a cross between Gram and Hodge for an AFL like player, probably closer to Gram but a better mark than Gram and tougher.

Sad to see him leave the kennel but will be watching Freo very closely all season. Is a better footballer than Lower as well, much better.

Do you have any idea why an Adelaide club or any club for that matter didn't take him?

Because recruiters have got an unhealthy preoccupation with children. Once a player reaches 19 they are too old. :eek:
I'm hearing you on that one Cam. Spot on !
And I know there will be plenty who'll jump down my throat on this one, but I simply cannot believe that Leon Davis didn't find a new home. The guy is a current All-Australian with two or three years left in him. I just don't get how he is just "gonna take up the place of a new young player". Going on that theory, some of our most integral players like Pav and Sandi should be delisted surely ?
For chrissakes.... clubs can't go on "building the list" forever. The strong word at Freo was that they believed that 2011/2012/2013 were the years they believed were a real top four/premiership chance window. Has that theory vanished so much ? Or are the footy department once again retreating under the belief that we need another few years of mediocrity first because they don't believe any of their own rhetoric.
Got that off my chest at least anyway !

Reading this thread this guy sounds more exciting than any of our draftees from the main draft (except Crozier maybe).

The club has said they wished they had another National draft pick so they could have chosen him in the ND. Makes you wonder why they didn't go Spurr in the ND and Sutcliffe in the rookie? Do they rate Sutcliffe better?

Most other kids would have given it away but Spurr had his point to prove - that was, he believed was good enough to play at a higher level and through this I recon he will, hopefully he will get elevated to a senior spot with the Dockers. Amazingly at 24 he still had that dream and a belief in himself.

Sounds like that disappointment spurred him on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back