Rookie List

Remove this Banner Ad

They've changed the rules regarding rookie lists this year. For example Richmond are able to rookie list Graham Polak.

Don't know the intricate details, however.

You can place a player who has been on an AFL list or played AFL footy as a mature aged rookie.

I imagine this is to provide a bigger pool of players with the introduction of GC and SWS.

Nope. Plenty of clubs were knocked back requests to rookie list certain players after the Rama one.

The changes have only just came into place.

Dont be fooled into thinking we got special treatment for Rama. We weren't allowed to pay for his treatment without breaching salary cap guidelines, while Ben Cousins drug rehab was fully payed for by the Eagles.

Please dont quote me on that (unless im right, then quote away)

You can place a player who has been on an AFL list or played AFL footy as a mature aged rookie.

I imagine this is to provide a bigger pool of players with the introduction of GC and SWS.
So theoretically, if Laycock were to play 5 outstanding games next year then go down with yet another injury, we could delist and re-draft him as a rookie (assuming that nobody else beat us to him) ?

That opens up a hell of a lot of possibilities with player lists. Not a bad idea with the two love children snitching all but everything else available to them.

So theoretically, if Laycock were to play 5 outstanding games next year then go down with yet another injury, we could delist and re-draft him as a rookie (assuming that nobody else beat us to him) ?

That opens up a hell of a lot of possibilities with player lists. Not a bad idea with the two love children snitching all but everything else available to them.

Theoretically you are on the money.

But realistically if a player is showing good signs you are taking a big risk to delist him and then hoping to rookie the player.

Read a report from a newspaper in WA quoting Dick's weight as 100kg.

He must have built himself up in the last 12 months.

Is Dick's car still in the car park at Windy Hill ?
Or hit the donuts & beers hard.

Not interested. he was completely not interested in competing. It wasn't that he wasn't up to winning the contests (for eg Quinn right now - altho he is improving rapidly): he just looked like he could not give a rats. Not what we need at all!

Theoretically you are on the money.

But realistically if a player is showing good signs you are taking a big risk to delist him and then hoping to rookie the player.
I think we're safe on that account then.

Wouldn't it make more sense (if **** gets injured again) to just delist him and then (here's the cunning part) not re-list him ever again?

Well that's what Sheedy would do. He did it with Daniel McAlister. De-listed him and took him as a rookie (I think) so it would free up a spot on the senior list. He did it with Alessio in 2003 but not as a rookie, just re-drafted him again.

A coach with balls would do it!

Well that's what Sheedy would do. He did it with Daniel McAlister. De-listed him and took him as a rookie (I think) so it would free up a spot on the senior list. He did it with Alessio in 2003 but not as a rookie, just re-drafted him again.

And I'd argue we should have deployed my cunning plan with McAlister. Allesio was OK.

McAlister was under contract when he was delisted.
We were hoping someone would pick him up to release us of his contract, didn't happen so we redrafted him rather than having a dead spot on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people wouldn't have done it in 1995 either.

Here is the top 10 from the 1996 Draft:

1Michael GardinerClaremontWest Coast2Chris HeffernanGeelong (U18)Essendon3Rory HiltonMurray (U18)Brisbane Lions4Mark KinnearCalder (U18)Sydney5Daniel McAlisterTasmania (U18)Essendon6John RombotisFitzroyPort Adelaide7Bowen LockwoodGeelong (U18)Port Adelaide8Leigh BrockmanTasmania (U18)Geelong9Mark HarwoodTasmania (U18)Port Adelaide10Nathan BrownBendigo (U18)Western Bulldogs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_AFL_Draft

Now, I don't see too many superstars there. Have a look at the whole draft, not many good players came from 1996. However, that was still a shocker of a pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie List

Remove this Banner Ad

Back