Rooney

Remove this Banner Ad

GoalsFrom50Out said:
Y'know ... Rosenborg have beaten Real Madrid, AC Milan and Inter at Lerkendahl before. I'm pleased with a point.

Happy with a point? Could've sworn you said that Rosenborg wearn't the giantkillers they once were.

Here, let me help you refresh your memory:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2252069

GoalsFrom50Out said:
Shinboners said:
You have to be wary of Rosenborg though.

They've got a very impressive history of taking some pretty impressive scalps.

Yeah, but they're not that they used to be. Bunch of 32 year olds now, really. But you have to say Group E is definitely the weakest.

Yeah, I did say that. In their own backyard they can beat anyone, and they aren't what they used to be either. They're all in their 30s sans Braathen and Russel, and the keeper Johnsen (I think). It could have been worse, we could've lost.

One thing I find rather funny is that as soon as Vieira came back, we went completely sh*te. Funny that.

GoalsFrom50Out said:
One thing I find rather funny is that as soon as Vieira came back, we went completely sh*te. Funny that.

Almost as funny as seeing how you loved him a few years ago, mocked Manchester United and Real Madrid for trying to buy him, and now you're bagging the crap out of him.

He may not have had a great few games, but if he's as good as what you once thought he was, then he'll get back to some good form - or are you just being spoilt bastard?

Shinboners said:
Almost as funny as seeing how you loved him a few years ago, mocked Manchester United and Real Madrid for trying to buy him, and now you're bagging the crap out of him.

He may not have had a great few games, but if he's as good as what you once thought he was, then he'll get back to some good form - or are you just being spoilt bastard?

So you're saying that after the rubbish he made us all put up with throughout the summer we have to love him again? I don't care for him anymore. A lot of Arsenal supporters are lukewarm to him - he got a halfarsed cheer against Fulham, about as loud as Cygan's was.

Cesc might only be 17 but look at the way we played with him there instead ... absolutely incredible football. As soon as Vieira came back in we went to the bollocks, no fluidity at all in midfield. Heh.

He's not fit to wear our captains armband - he isn't fit to be held in the same regard as Adams and McLintock, he obviously don't bleed Arsenal like they did. He's only still here because Real wouldn't pay him enough.

Sure I didn't believe he was going until about a week and a half until it ended. At the end of it I wanted him to go because I'm so sick and tired of it happening every year, and him pulling this bullsh*t line that he "loves the club too much" is just sickening. What a load of cack.

Give the armband to someone who bleeds red and white, not pound sterling.

Funny I had a reasonable post on Vieira deleted here.

HEIL SHINBONER!

Anyways our centra midfield combo was looking better when Fabregas was in instead of Vieira, but Vieira's obviously more proven.

I'm more pro-Fabregas than anti-Vieira. Now that Gilberto is out, I hope Cesc can get more time.

And it hurts that our captain doesn't bleed Arsenal. I'm happy that he has stayed but it's a bit much expecting Gooners to be 100% lovely, dovey with Paddy after all he has put us through.

Shinboners said:
There haven't been any posts deleted from this thread.

Hmmm I've got an eye on you Shinboner.

It was either you or those blasted server too busy notifications.

In which case, HEIL SERVER TOO BUSY NOTIFICATIONS

Rocco Jones said:
Hmmm I've got an eye on you Shinboner.

It was either you or those blasted server too busy notifications.

In which case, HEIL SERVER TOO BUSY NOTIFICATIONS

Jeeze.....one little joke about Arsenal's less than impressive record in Europe (in reply to your jibe at Rooney) and you get all paranoid about things.

Maybe you should just log off the internet, take a walk, and have a cup of tea when you get back home.....relax...think calming blue waves.....

Shinboners said:
Jeeze.....one little joke about Arsenal's less than impressive record in Europe (in reply to your jibe at Rooney) and you get all paranoid about things.

Maybe you should just log off the internet, take a walk, and have a cup of tea when you get back home.....relax...think calming blue waves.....

My last post was purely in jest.

BTW I agree Arsenal's record in Europe is crap, but that's stating the obvious.

Only thing I'd defend is our result today. Not great by any means but a draw away in Europe isn't terrible.

GoalsFrom50Out said:
Especially when you take a look at how the situation twelve months ago was.

Yep.

I think winning the title last year meant we finally cemented our claim to be England's best team. 2 of the last 3 premierships and FA cups.

We got knocked out in the quarters by an ENGLISH side, by a very late goal. Game was during a hectic and tough schedule. I think it should more about our ability to play a quality side every 3 days over a 3 week period than it did about Europe.

But end of the day they are all excuses. We are England's #1 side now and we have to show it in Europe this year. Make or break, no excuses.

I don't even think this year is that important to us. I think we're entering a new phase under Wenger, the first one is over with. Right now is the first time since he's been here that the entire squad is his own - Parlour and Keown are gone, the last of the Graham players.

Basically, it's like "Chapter 2". The last three, possibly four years, have been the evolution of Wenger's style of play to what it is now - and even now, it's still in its teenage years. We are only now understanding and implementing an ability to grind out results better than we have before, at least in Europe. Ordinarily, matches against PSV and Rosenborg would've seen us lose in the past.

We will win it the year we move into Ashburton Grove, I feel. I'd be content with making it to the semi finals this year, honestly. By then players like Reyes, van Persie, Clichy, Cesc and Flamini will be old enough and strong enough to play on all fronts, something they aren't right now with the exception of probably Reyes and maybe van Persie (he will take time to be ready - he's got ADHD).

I'm rambling :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

apollo_creed said:
When he starts to produce the goods consistently in the premiership (something absent from his Everton resume) then you lot can start salivating over him.

I'm really not sure if Rooney is going to be one of those strikers who will get 20 EPL goals every season. I get the feeling that he'll end up becoming like Mark Hughes - he'll get a dozen goals, but nearly all of them will be in the crunch games against the best opposition. He just appears to thrive in the spotlight, so that's where I think we'll see his best performances - just like Sparky did in his Old Trafford career.

Shinboners said:
I'm really not sure if Rooney is going to be one of those strikers who will get 20 EPL goals every season. I get the feeling that he'll end up becoming like Mark Hughes - he'll get a dozen goals, but nearly all of them will be in the crunch games against the best opposition. He just appears to thrive in the spotlight, so that's where I think we'll see his best performances - just like Sparky did in his Old Trafford career.

Absolutely spot on. Rooney's one of those players who rises to the occaision (ahem, monsiour Henry ...), like his performances for England at Euro2004 and his debut against Arsenal.

For his sake I hope Ferguson takes care of him, and doesn't ruin him by playing fifty matches a year. He's not ready to play a full season yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rooney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back