Roos 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought this may help those who keep saying we have players not up to AFL standard. Over the next 4 years we lose a LOT of our key playmakers, this is why we need to keep working on the players we are playing now.

2016 Gone ;
Anthony(29), Campbell(29), Edwards(32), Firrito(33), Grima(31), Harvey(38), McIntosh(32), McKinley(29), McMahon(30), Pedo(29), Petrie(34), Richardson(29), Thompson(30), Warren(27 sorry Ben), Wells(31)

Thats a lot of Key players, in fact most of our spine. OUR SPINE IS OLD like it or not.

Currently this leaves us with

Backs : C.Delaney(24), L.Delaney(27), L.Greenwood(27)
Half Back: B.McKenzie(23), L.Hansen(28), S.Wright(26)
Mid: S.Atley(24), A.Swallow(29), R.Bastinac(25)
Half Forward: J.MacMillan(25), R.Tarrant(27), K.Harper(24)
Forward: L.Adams(28), A.Black(26), L.Thomas(28)

Foll: T.Goldstein(28), J.Zeibull(25), B.Cunnington(25)
Int: A.Mullett(24), T.Curren(23), C.Gartlett(27),
B.Speight(26)
Emg: B.Mabon(24), A.Kennedy(25), W.Sierakowski(26)

This is possibly the team at a stage we can have great expectations. These guys are still kids and need games and time. Realistically we are 4 years off so strap in and enjoy the ride people, its going to be bumpy.

I do hope this shows some flamers why we are playing the players we are now.

All that says to me is that we have decent opportunity within our list. It's up to everyone at the club particularly the players to make it happen because it won't just come that's for sure.

puke. This doesn't excite me at all. Just makes me feel worse if anything.

This.

If that's our lineup in 2016, expect our result to be like Melbourne's, when they pumped up their young side a couple years back..

Thought this may help those who keep saying we have players not up to AFL standard. Over the next 4 years we lose a LOT of our key playmakers, this is why we need to keep working on the players we are playing now.

2016 Gone ;
Anthony(29), Campbell(29), Edwards(32), Firrito(33), Grima(31), Harvey(38), McIntosh(32), McKinley(29), McMahon(30), Pedo(29), Petrie(34), Richardson(29), Thompson(30), Warren(27 sorry Ben), Wells(31)

Thats a lot of Key players, in fact most of our spine. OUR SPINE IS OLD like it or not.

Currently this leaves us with

Backs : C.Delaney(24), L.Delaney(27), L.Greenwood(27)
Half Back: B.McKenzie(23), L.Hansen(28), S.Wright(26)
Mid: S.Atley(24), A.Swallow(29), R.Bastinac(25)
Half Forward: J.MacMillan(25), R.Tarrant(27), K.Harper(24)
Forward: L.Adams(28), A.Black(26), L.Thomas(28)

Foll: T.Goldstein(28), J.Zeibull(25), B.Cunnington(25)
Int: A.Mullett(24), T.Curren(23), C.Gartlett(27),
B.Speight(26)
Emg: B.Mabon(24), A.Kennedy(25), W.Sierakowski(26)

This is possibly the team at a stage we can have great expectations. These guys are still kids and need games and time. Realistically we are 4 years off so strap in and enjoy the ride people, its going to be bumpy.

I do hope this shows some flamers why we are playing the players we are now.

McMahon and Thompson are not injury prone so we should expect them to play beyond age 30. Assuming we don't draft any new players after 2012 other than McDonald then the worst case scenario of our best possible team in 2016 is:

B: McMahon (30) Delaney (27) Thompson (30)
HB: McDonald (21) Delaney (24) Kennedy (25)
C: Atley (24) Ziebell (25) Bastinac (25)
HF: Adams (28) Hansen (28) Harper (24)
F: Thomas (28) Curran (23) Black (26)
Foll: Goldstein (28) Swallow (29) Cunnington (25)

Int: Greenwood (27) MacMillan (25) McKenzie (23) Wright (26)

E: Daw (25) Mullett (24) Speight (26)

MacMillan to be the next Scott McMahon. Kennedy to be the next Thompson.

Simply working with whats on our list now. Yes its a given there will be drafts between now and then, but a kid or 2 here or there will not change the base of our team.

As for trading we are one of the clubs with the lowest amount of players to have played for an opposition club = 17th so cant expect much there.

This allows for turnover of 15 players, so logically 15 new players will be listed, dont think we should pin our hopes on 15 17/18 year olds, so this is CURRENTLY what we have to work with. Personally i dont think its too bad.

The point intended is those people expected to perform at a premium level now are realistically years away from when we should expect it.

Simply working with whats on our list now. Yes its a given there will be drafts between now and then, but a kid or 2 here or there will not change the base of our team.

As for trading we are one of the clubs with the lowest amount of players to have played for an opposition club = 17th so cant expect much there.

This allows for turnover of 15 players, so logically 15 new players will be listed, dont think we should pin our hopes on 15 17/18 year olds, so this is CURRENTLY what we have to work with. Personally i dont think its too bad.

The point intended is those people expected to perform at a premium level now are realistically years away from when we should expect it.

I see your point but with a list of 46 plus those 15 or so changes how do we know who will be the best 22 of the 61. You get me?

Three years ago I wouldnt have said that McIntosh, Anthony, Warren, Hansen, Urquhart, Tarrant and Campbell wouldnt be in our best 22. Thats a third of the team.

Based on what we know

McMahon Delaney Thompson
MacMillan Delaney McKenzie
Atley Ziebell Cunnington
Harper Curran Wells
Wright Black Speight
Goldstein Swallow Bastinac
Kennedy Mullet Daw McDonald

Hansen and Tarrant are such unknowns. Greenwood and Adams would have to improve dramatically also. The team looks good but I would start smashing each kid in the gym as they get to Arden St. Need to get the mojo back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the reason you may say we are worse due to lack of progression from our recruits or the natural downwards progression of those we rely on most.

I will admitt im a little worried about the talls like Hansen and Taz, but i think when you really look at years on our list and the boys vs men factor a good % of our list are progressing in an acceptable mannor. Ya we have hit no Judd, Hurley, Heppel type who stars in a year or two but we havent had top 4 picks to play with either.

However between 2008 and now we've added:

Ziebell
Wright
Anthony
Delaney (L) and C
Cunnington
Bastinac
Black
McMillan
Harper
Atley
Pedo

That's 12 of the 22 blokes. You can expect come 2016, we'll have drafted from rather similar positions, and have another decent crop to add.

However between 2008 and now we've added:

Ziebell
Wright
Anthony
Delaney (L) and C
Cunnington
Bastinac
Black
McMillan
Harper
Atley
Pedo

That's 12 of the 22 blokes. You can expect come 2016, we'll have drafted from rather similar positions, and have another decent crop to add.

Yes, but hopefully they will not be the basis we are pinning our hopes on and expecting so much from, but the tail of our 4-6 year window. Unfortunately as they reach mid twenties GWS and GC will be hitting their prime.

Really do see 2016 to 2020 as out potential window atm. God i hope so or its start again and in the mix with the expansion teams.

I see your point but with a list of 46 plus those 15 or so changes how do we know who will be the best 22 of the 61. You get me?

Three years ago I wouldnt have said that McIntosh, Anthony, Warren, Hansen, Urquhart, Tarrant and Campbell wouldnt be in our best 22. Thats a third of the team.

Based on what we know

McMahon Delaney Thompson
MacMillan Delaney McKenzie
Atley Ziebell Cunnington
Harper Curran Wells
Wright Black Speight
Goldstein Swallow Bastinac
Kennedy Mullet Daw McDonald

Hansen and Tarrant are such unknowns. Greenwood and Adams would have to improve dramatically also. The team looks good but I would start smashing each kid in the gym as they get to Arden St. Need to get the mojo back.

If we have more than six or seven new players in our best 22 come 2016, then we are effectively re-building the team.

If we are not starting again then we should now have some idea what our best team in a few years time.

Every year we say we don't know who our best 22 will be in a few years time is another year we are aimless and have no idea what we are doing. Every year we think its too early to outline a prospective premiership team is another year we can expect a premiership to be ten years away.

We must know what team we are trying to build if we are serious about vying for a premiership. A plan may be useless but planning is everything.

New players should be depth players not part of a complete makeover.

3 steps forward 2 steps back is fine. But 3 steps forward 3 steps back is not.

If we have more than six or seven new players in our best 22 come 2016, then we are effectively re-building the team.

If we are not starting again then we should now have some idea what our best team in a few years time.

Every year we say we don't know who our best 22 will be in a few years time is another year we are aimless and have no idea what we are doing. Every year we think its too early to outline a prospective premiership team is another year we can expect a premiership to be ten years away.

We must know what team we are trying to build if we are serious about vying for a premiership. A plan may be useless but planning is everything.

New players should be depth players not part of a complete makeover.

3 steps forward 2 steps back is fine. But 3 steps forward 3 steps back is not.

You need 26-27 players that can come in and out of the team and can perform a role to win a flag. Maybe even more. With our team so out of form right at the minute player 15 and player 30 dont have much between them.
Once we have that balance well be fine but good luck picking that list i reckon.

You need 26-27 players that can come in and out of the team and can perform a role to win a flag. Maybe even more. With our team so out of form right at the minute player 15 and player 30 dont have much between them.
Once we have that balance well be fine but good luck picking that list i reckon.

I understand what you mean now.

So the real question we should be asking whenever we look to the future is not:

What would our best 22 look like on paper on game day in 2016?

but rather

Which and how many players on our current list are more likely than not to be part of our 27 player core group in 2016?

The best 22 changes on a week to week basis.

However, I do think that assessing the playing list based on their current development is a good way of checking that we can maintain structural balance into the year 2016 assuming that our improvement also has even spread in the next few years.

An more appropriate question would be; which and how many of our current players are critical to our chances of a 2016 premiership, taking into account team structure and the likely departure of players in the time-frame?

i.e. with Petrie and Edwards gone and Warren looking increasingly unlikely, are we underestimating how much of our success depends on Black and Curran?

Is it safe to say that if Black and Curran develop too slowly then our premiership window will be pushed past beyond when our midfield has peaked?

The same can be said about the Delaney brothers after Firrito and Grima depart.

If we are to make up the numbers of that 27 player core group that we need, then these players must make it. We don't have the players or the time to replace them despite the spread of talent unless we trade for a quality player which we never do.

Our spine:

Delaney
Delaney
Goldstein
Hansen
Curran

And there in lies my point. We need to back and play these players. We also need to accept they are young and be more realistic in our expectations.

Not dismissing the last 2 weeks, just trying to add perspective.

Also this is why i cringe when BS says we have an excess of KPPs. Im not 100% sure what we have will be good enough to compliment our mids moving forwards. Hansen and Taz have been very shakey, so we are trying the Delaney boys, they cop a belting here way too much.

I don't see why the Roos can't contend next year. At the start of this season I rated the kangas pretty highly. Eventually it's all going to click.
2013 I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back