Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
We should approach Ross Lyon for the senior coaching job.

Experienced. Successful. Respected. Marketable. Tactical. Committed. Stable and a safe pair of hands.

Offer him 4 years!!!!

No way. Not successful, horrible personality (we need a spokesperson). Has a massive chip on his shoulder for no good reason. Not very innovative (ripping off Sydney's gameplan is not innovative). Has failed to successfully bring through younger players and relies way too much on recycled or older players. Plus some of the blame for the culture issues at the Saints have to lay at the feetof the coach.

In short. Hell no!

No way. Not successful, horrible personality (we need a spokesperson). Has a massive chip on his shoulder for no good reason. Not very innovative (ripping off Sydney's gameplan is not innovative). Has failed to successfully bring through younger players and relies way too much on recycled or older players. Plus some of the blame for the culture issues at the Saints have to lay at the feetof the coach.

In short. Hell no!

Not successful? You are a harsh judge.

Assistant coach with Swans in premiership year (2005) and GF year (2006).

Senior coach with Saints, taking them to 4 final series in 5 years including 3 GF, two of which were almost won but for the luck of the Gods. Won a pre season cup and has an overall coaching win record of more than 60%.

That's a successful record, just not the ultimate success. His record is better than Eade.

In short. Hell no!

Personality? You could say the same about Mick Malthouse, Mark Thompson or Alistair Clarkson. Doesn't seem to impede their success.

Maybe Lyon contributed to the forming of the Sydney game plan?

Coaches always top up for Flags while in the window. I don't think you can blame Lyon for this or the lost GF by effectively 1 goal and a draw. Remember the Hawkins poster? The Scarlett toe poke? The Milne bounce? That's luck. Not bad coaching. There is also the issue of list management which isn't always the domain of the coach.

Culture? It ain't Lyons fault Roo and co can't keep their di%# in their pants in the off season.

Not a chance, has the most boring style of football in the AFL , completely defensive. Doesn't seem like a bad sort of a bloke, but you have to win a game rather than trying not to lose it. Is a reincarnation of Paul Roos, with the list the saints have had they should have played with more flair and who knows they might have had a flag.

I mean the guy has been involved in 5 of the last 8 GFs.

And he's not successful? Wow. I suspect you just don't like him. After all, he has tasted more success than our club has in the past 50 years.

I'd take him over Leon Cameron or any other newbie.

Not a chance, has the most boring style of football in the AFL , completely defensive. Doesn't seem like a bad sort of a bloke, but you have to win a game rather than trying not to lose it. Is a reincarnation of Paul Roos, with the list the saints have had they should have played with more flair and who knows they might have had a flag.

Defence and zones tend to win flags these days...

The flair was meant to be Andrew Lovett! We all know how that ended!

I think he is probably a very good coach. When you look at the Stkilda list they have a very good top end, but they fall away a lot after that. Perhaps Lyon recognised that and developed a game plan that would make the most of that. His record is pretty good, they were just a lucky bounce or 2 from winning 2 flags.

But I have seen then be on top of teams and yet they go defensive, giving the other team a chance to get the momentum instead of putting the foot on the throat.

I think he'd be a good get for us, but he is contracted to the Saints. I would love to know who they have short listed though.

sorry.
I know this is an opinions board, but this is just the most ridiculous suggestion I have heard this year (and that's saying something).....not to mention that it will not happen.

I think if we'd had two No 1 draft picks and two No 2 draft picks to play with we'd probably have played grand finals AND won a flag. I'm talking about Riewoldt, Goddard, Koschitske and Ball. The decade was a fairly "successful" one for the Saints but ultimately will go down as a glorious opportunity wasted.

Lyon did OK but he had some pretty good cattle on board.

I don't know.

Didn't we just let go a former Sydney assistant coach who pioneered a defensive gameplan?

If we get Lyon, we might as well have kept Rocket.

Word for word what I was going to write. It's the most boring style of footy, I no longer watch St Kilda games on tv unless we're playing them. He's ruining the game and I don't think we'd be any chance of getting new members watching that sort of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't want to hate the way we played and we would need to kick more than 9-10 goals. However we do eed someone that can make us tighten up the defence aspect.

In short. Hell no!

Quite a good assessment. This bloke inherited a team which had a bucket load of first round draft picks (due to the club taking advantage of the draft for years) and he still couldnt put together an attractive game plan which would deliver success.

Would hate to see him at our club.

Not successful? You are a harsh judge.

Assistant coach with Swans in premiership year (2005) and GF year (2006).

Senior coach with Saints, taking them to 4 final series in 5 years including 3 GF, two of which were almost won but for the luck of the Gods. Won a pre season cup and has an overall coaching win record of more than 60%.

That's a successful record, just not the ultimate success. His record is better than Eade.

Unfortunately almost winning a Grand Final is not winning a grand final. They were extremely lucky to even be in either, theirluck ran out in the actual games. Yep he is a little more successful than Eade. So?

Personality? You could say the same about Mick Malthouse, Mark Thompson or Alistair Clarkson. Doesn't seem to impede their success.

Maybe Lyon contributed to the forming of the Sydney game plan?

Coaches always top up for Flags while in the window. I don't think you can blame Lyon for this or the lost GF by effectively 1 goal and a draw. Remember the Hawkins poster? The Scarlett toe poke? The Milne bounce? That's luck. Not bad coaching. There is also the issue of list management which isn't always the domain of the coach.

Culture? It ain't Lyons fault Roo and co can't keep their di%# in their pants in the off season.

We can't afford to have a coach who can't sell our brand, those other clubs can.

Maybe he did contribute to Sydney's boring gameplan but it was part of a vastly different team with way more resouces than we can assemble.

Geelong haven't, neither have Colingwood or Hawthorn. The fact of the matter is St Kilda are going to be in big trouble with all their shoddy recruits having to play without the stars. Furthermore they started the recycling as soon as he got there not just when he thought they were close to a flag.

Is it the fault of the prisoner or the guards if a prisoner escapes from jail? I put it to you that it's both their faults.

Defence and zones tend to win flags these days...

The flair was meant to be Andrew Lovett! We all know how that ended!
They do but eventually you have to score. Collingwood seem to do this quite well, St Kilda not so much.

You brought up Lovett! I'm confused are you arguing for Lyon or against?

I think he's a good coach and his record speaks for it self. The only question with him is whether he can develop kids and build a team from the ground up. The list he has now, hasn't really been created in his image I think. Would he play a different style if he had a different list? (I think he would) That's the important question for mine. We will see either way, because the Saints have run their race with this list.

I think if we'd had two No 1 draft picks and two No 2 draft picks to play with we'd probably have played grand finals AND won a flag. I'm talking about Riewoldt, Goddard, Koschitske and Ball. The decade was a fairly "successful" one for the Saints but ultimately will go down as a glorious opportunity wasted.

Lyon did OK but he had some pretty good cattle on board.
Not sure on that at all. First 6, picked players are guns, after that their list really struggles IMO. He has got 110% plus some out of that list, turned many average players in to reasonable "role players" and has got them to play above and beyond to compete and consistently beat far more talented outfits. Yeah he didn't win a flag, but there is no-one else out there that could have achieved anything close to what he has done at St Kilda.

His game plan is boring, but i don't think they have anything close to the required quota of ability (player wise) to play an attractive, expansive style of game like Geelong or Collingwood for instance.

He relies on frustrating and suffocating sides, and for the most part it works.

He would be a wonderful asset to us, but he will be signing with St Kilda anyway, so i don't see why we are talking about it to start with :confused:.

sorry.
I know this is an opinions board, but this is just the most ridiculous suggestion I have heard this year (and that's saying something).....not to mention that it will not happen.

I refer you to the OP of the Brendon Fevola thread on this forum.

I didn't claim that it would happen, just that we should make the offer and take it from there.

Unfortunately almost winning a Grand Final is not winning a grand final. They were extremely lucky to even be in either, theirluck ran out in the actual games. Yep he is a little more successful than Eade. So?

We can't afford to have a coach who can't sell our brand, those other clubs can.

How were the Saints lucky to be in the GFs? They topped the H&A ladder with 20-2 in 2009 and won both finals before the GF. That is a 22-3 record for the season.

In 2010, they were third after H. & A and won both finals, beating its nearest competition in us and the cats.

Winning premierships tends to market the club pretty well and Lyon has been closer than us since 1954.

Re: Eade. If we can find someone of the coaching calibre of Eade again, we would be very fortunate! And I say that person could be Ross Lyon.

I refer you to the OP of the Brendon Fevola thread on this forum.

I didn't claim that it would happen, just that we should make the offer and take it from there.

Yes. And as I said.... it's one of the most ridiculous suggestions I have heard all year.

Did you expect everyone to jump on your Lyon bandwagon?

Yes. And as I said.... it's one of the most ridiculous suggestions I have heard all year.
Why is putting an offer to one of the best half dozen coaches in the league a ridiculous suggestion?

Who is your preferred candidate of those available? IMO the odds are that across the next 5 years, Lyon will have a better winning record than him.

Why is putting an offer to one of the best half dozen coaches in the league a ridiculous suggestion?

Who is your preferred candidate of those available? IMO the odds are that across the next 5 years, Lyon will have a better winning record than him.

Of course he will but he is well out of our price range anyway.

I would actually stop watching if he became our coach, can't watch Saints games as it is, imagine him without a superstar CHF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back