Roughy could be another Daniel Merritt .....

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you could turn Roughy into Daniel Merritt ie. pretty dominant FB for a young bloke (with Roughys added ability to go forward and kick goals) would you do it???

I guess the question is.... what is more valuable to us a FF who could be on the verge of dominating for years to come...

Or an athletic, big lump of a full back, with a great leap who could become the next icon in the Hawthorn backline (sorry Croady you are almost an icon)

Re: Roughy = Sauce head Merritt

i personally like roughy forward and think he made some real strides in the second half of last year. i think its been posted before but he may become a bit like leppitsch was and swing forward and back depending on the situation.. it cant hurt to have flexibility like that

i personally like roughy forward and think he made some real strides in the second half of last year. i think its been posted before but he may become a bit like leppitsch was and swing forward and back depending on the situation.. it cant hurt to have flexibility like that

Or more like Alister Lynch, only I hope Roughie can throw a better combination of punches :p

Isolated I'd say I'd play Roughead forward purely as an individual.

However, being one tall strong defender short down back you've got to think what is best for our structure as a side.

I think Roughead may be best suited to go back as Thorp seems to me to be thought to be our mobile power CHF.

Merrit is a good comparison, as people deemed him to lack pace since he is sizable, but like Roughead I think he can get up and going pretty well, and its more about stamina than pace, to continually keep up with your opponent.

Sending players back can sometime them turn them into great players and I think Roughead has made massive steps last year, and is ready for a big challenge.

Nope not a chance at full back,

If my memory serves me correct Merrit is the fastest player on Brisbanes list for 20 metres, Roughead would be more suited to the CHB position if he was required to play defence, he'd get blown away if he was isolated in the the full back position.

I've only hust re-watched the hawks vs brisbane game at the MCG from last season and all these were suggested by Alistair lynch (special comments). He did compare him to Justin Leppitsch in terms of size and play. Personally I think he is too good a mark to play down back and is not particularly suited to the type of KP backmen we need. We have a big strong backmen in Croad and if anything we need a tall agile Fletcher type (Dawson/Gilham??). There are not many teams out there with 2 big strong Jonothan brown like forwards so as long as croad is playing well down back we can get away with a less strong, more agile/quick full back.

If my memory serves me correct Merrit is the fastest player on Brisbanes list for 20 metres, Roughead would be more suited to the CHB position if he was required to play defence, he'd get blown away if he was isolated in the the full back position.

yea, im pretty sure ur right about merritts speed dipper86, i think both are deceptively quick for their size, which in roughys case could advantage both leading as a forward, and chasing as a defender

whilst he has been increasingly confident and somewhat dominant at times in matches in the forward line he did show the greatest consistancy down back, where he finished his first season, with good performances on forawrd like richo

this is a good dilemma to have, but i think he needs more time down both ends to see where he will be most valuable for the team, moving him back anf forward for the season would also allow us to give more opportunities to give more game time to players like thorp and dowler in particular

also more time down back and he could end up being like Leppa, showin great promise forward, yet findin his own niche down back

he may end up being a better forward, but it may also benifit the team more for him to go back, and have the flexibility to move forward

so finally i just think more time is needed before cementin his position, and that his versatility should not be the issue, but his advantage

I know many think Thorp is the second coming, but Roughy has runs on the board. Roughy was matched up against Rutten in the Adelaide final and could have easily kicked five on him. He out gunned Rutten on the lead and contested well in the air. Rutten is lauded as one of the best FB going around therefore Roughy should play forward in my opinion.

If we need another key back there are other talls that could be given time to develope as a CHB. Dowler, Thorp, Dawson, Renouf and Boyle have the size to do the job. I am not sure if they have the pace etc... to do the job but Roughhead is doing a job in a more difficult position and should be left get better in the FF position. This will be his fourth season folks he is 21yoa.

I think Boyle may end as the extra big backman we need. Initially He was touted as a backmanand if Thorp is as good as he is supposed to be our foward half would be a nightmare with these three talls:
FF: Roughead
CHF: Thorp
Roaming: Buddy

Merritt has never shown forward what Roughead has shown. So NO; Roughead is a forward not a backman.

Agree, Merritt is much quicker than Roughie over the first 5 and 20 metres. Once he gets a head of steam up Roughie can move but I think you would get very isolated on a power leading forward if you tried to turn him into a full time defender. Having the ability to play forward and pinch hit in defence as needed is certainly something to consider though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's wait and see what Thorp and the others have to offer up forward. Right now Roughy has the runs on the board and should stay forward.

Is Thorp competing for Smooth's spot, or Tim Boyle's?

Personally, I'd leave him forward - 40 goals last year (and on the up) seems to me to be a big waste to throw away, especially as Johnny Segment said, there's not too many sides with 2 monster-forwards (not many with one!).
Our back-line performed admirably last season - I see no reason to tinker with it too much (barring any major injury).

I honestly think this talk of Smooth going back came from Pelch during the trading period last year - he was told to find a key defender, there were none out there (although we gave 'Goose' Maguire a decent going-over), and he 'suggested' Roughead as an option as a result. I doubt very much Clarko will agree.

I honestly think this talk of Smooth going back came from Pelch during the trading period last year - he was told to find a key defender, there were none out there (although we gave 'Goose' Maguire a decent going-over), and he 'suggested' Roughead as an option as a result. I doubt very much Clarko will agree.

Could be some truth in that.

I think Dowler is a way off threatening to take anyone's spot. A Boyle/Thorp/Franklin tall set-up might work but even last year Croad spent time forward so Roughead will spend some good time forward in 2008.

I throw out all of Rougheads form down back, because prior to 2007, he was crap everywhere - Good example on Lynch and Cloke in 2006 games.

The physical development and skills he learnt up forward, will be just as applicable down back.

I hope he becomes the FB we're after, simply because we have other options up forward. Doesnt mean that I dont value a 40-50 goal forward, just means that saving an extra 20-30 a year and having someone else kick those 40-50 is more valuable.

He conceeded 1 goal, using that criteria, all defenders are hacks! :rolleyes:

Agreed. Everyone is so quick to talk about Dawsons game, but where is the criticism for Gilham? Gilham is suppose to be a genuine chance to be our full back of the future and we see him being, outbodied, and outmarked by a MIDFIELDER! (Jude Bolton) But I am yet to see one mention of this any where on this forum.

I always kept hoping that Gilham will be our Tom Harley. But when you you break him down, he is at best a 3rd tall defender. Which might be acceptable, in certain line-ups, but in today's A.F.L. I expect better disposal from a floating backman!

Remove this Banner Ad

Roughy could be another Daniel Merritt .....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back