AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be turning into a Super Saturday massacre here. Tonight's match at Geelong should be close though, and hopefully Port Adelaide will be amped by a full house at Alberton and put up a bit of a fight too.

Even closer than her set shot, pretty much top of goalsquare, just completely rushed it even though she had time & space, and nearly kicked it OOTF.
Oh dear. She seems to mentally crumble against good or decent teams, hard to slice it any other way.

Harris should not be out there. Round 1, why have her laboring with her shoulder when she can hardly compete? Trust the side to hang around on the ladder and bring her back closer to finals. Also she just needs to focus on basics instead of selling candy etc.

Hore, on the other hand, has been immense.

Geelong handling their loss of Purcell slightly better than Melbourne is handling their loss of Purcell so far.

And here's a newsflash: Harris should've had surgery on her shoulder 21 months ago. Hasn't been mentioned once in the media. I know there are sexier inconsequential stories to be sidetracked by, but the pundits need to dig a bit deeper if they want to be considered true professionals.

Barnburning contest. Talking about Geel-Melb, that is.

Though I am dual-screening with the Showdown, which Port is hanging in. Not looking as bad as I feared they might this season. Houghton is still as electric as her iconic 2020 form, but just needs to be in the game more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win to the Dees thought they might come unstuck when the Cats had a couple of goals lead.

Mackin was quite noticeable the last quarter with some good contested possessions or maybe I just turned in when she had it...

Port unbackable favourites to beat the Dogs at the MCG, based on today.

You'd expect Adelaide to find another gear next week to make sure they take care of business at Fremantle Oval. But for me, their flag chances essentially boil down to how Hatchard gets used and whether her head is screwed on straight, and I feel like the signs tonight were positive for the Crows.

Could say this is prompted by any game played so far, and either one tomorrow:

The AFL and GWS get a lot of shit for their handling of AFLW. Not entirely unfairly. But they certainly don't get enough credit for the things they've done right, and the integration of the Irish players is well and truly near the top of that list.

Whatever happens with season structures in the future, making sure the number of Gaelic converts never drops below 30 league-wide has to be an ongoing priority.

Even more than the Sydney scuffle and the double-ended ice cream cone in Perth, this has been the most commented-on post for the weekend so far:

A lot of focus on the distance she ran. Once you figure out the length of grass striping, it's pretty clear she ran 14-15m before bouncing, and then 18-19m before the kick.

So, a bit lucky, but not without precedence and nowhere near as egregious as some would suggest. I have a different issue with it...

Wouldn't it be great if there was, like, a micro chip in the ball which the AFL/broadcasters could use to tell us the exact distance? Seven matches in, I'm fairly sure this new technology doesn't actually exist! No data provided for anything yet.

And I agree with what the commentator said about the Caris goal for St Kilda--looked like it smashed the post, based on where the ball ended up after crossing the line. Goal umpires were hopeless in that game (more interested in playing with their flags), there was also a clear behind after the HT siren not paid.

Could say this is prompted by any game played so far, and either one tomorrow:

The AFL and GWS get a lot of shit for their handling of AFLW. Not entirely unfairly. But they certainly don't get enough credit for the things they've done right, and the integration of the Irish players is well and truly near the top of that list.

Whatever happens with season structures in the future, making sure the number of Gaelic converts never drops below 30 league-wide has to be an ongoing priority.

As I am someone who follows the clubs on field aspect of AFLW but doesn’t really follow the off field side, is there a reason GWS in particular cop shit for their handling?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back