Autopsy Round 1: Coburg V Richmond @ Piranha Park - Saturday 2:00pm, 18/04/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Newman in our best 22 means we are in trouble:(
Weren't our hopes to win at least one final?
Some even suggested top 4
With Hunt and Kmac our only real changes to our best 22 and showing a lot of the boys up with their current form.I ask have we done enough to achieve Bf posters dreams?
No back up ruckmen for Maric is a big concern as my fear is that we are expecting a truck load from him to go the whole season with no real chop out
This was vindicated yesterday in the vfl game when I had a ten minute yarn with a RFC VFL staff member
The cracks will be covered with a few upcoming soft killings, but what happens afterwards will be of great interest if DH doesn't find solutions to our gaps
Must finish up saying lids run and carry would be a start , but unfortunately he can't play ruck;)
We are so ****ed if Maric goes down. So so ****ed.

I was thinking last night how washed up he looked. Then the second half his competitive spirit kicked in and he got going. How long can he do that for is the big question.

Chaplin is our backline General, he is constantly giving out commands to the others to make sure they are in the right position or on the right player.

Vlastuin is ahead of Newman already, he is playing injured right now but is fearless and has a cool head on his shoulders.

Astbury could be argued. If it wasn't for injury though he would be ahead of Newman without a question. Its why he was leading our BnF before injury last year.

Are you seriously saying Maric is not more important to the side then Newman? Maybe go back and watch the games we were without him last year.
Chaplin has a high regard for his own ability . Rarely listens when Dimma or the captains are addressing the group and is the first one to point hands and lay blame when his man gets on his own again .
Reckon he is a to is bag TBH . Who else writes a letter cheap shooting the club they have just left .

We are so stuffed if Maric goes down. So so stuffed.

I was thinking last night how washed up he looked. Then the second half his competitive spirit kicked in and he got going. How long can he do that for is the big question.
So true mate It's a real concern
Maric should have been rested after half time last night,but FFS mate it was a line in the sand game
He's our most valued leader as well and as you've already stated we were pooh without him last year

Looks for the VFL Thread........finds the Newman and important players thread.:drunk::oops:
tumblr_ldc9k4erFL1qza49co1_500.png

So true mate It's a real concern
Maric should have been rested after half time last night,but FFS mate it was a line in the sand game
He's our most valued leader as well and as you've already stated we were pooh without him last year
I loved watching Maric last night, he got his own back against Martin without the umps help
Love that man so much

No that's Rance

How'd Hampson go yesterday? Honest opinion
Unfortunately the same old story
1 he dominated the hit outs but not to our advantage as once he tapped the ball to his feet the Coburg mids read him better than ours and five easy goals were scored by them with quick centre clearances
I just don't understand why he's not instructed to punch the ball harder to advantage like in the last 15min of the Geelong game last year where he was most effective
He just doesn't help our mids with physical presence
2 once the tap out is done his around the ground work is almost non existent as he seems to lose his man and doesn't work hard enough
He will only get the ball if there is a turnover and the boys spot him by himself( not by planning but by luck)
3 lacks discipline :
Coburg defender in GS kicks ball Hampson height to BP. Hampson needs to take one step fwd to take an easy mark and then line up for goal,but doesn't .
JoshI of Coburg Is a tiny mid 176cm from the knights U18 jumps in front of him to knock the ball down and motor away from him .Coburg clear and goal
These are the sort of KPIs the club would have set him (I hope), but he's just not meeting the and this is why I suggest club officials are concerned about our ruck stocks or lack of them

Chaplin is our backline General, he is constantly giving out commands to the others to make sure they are in the right position or on the right player.

Vlastuin is ahead of Newman already, he is playing injured right now but is fearless and has a cool head on his shoulders.

Astbury could be argued. If it wasn't for injury though he would be ahead of Newman without a question. Its why he was leading our BnF before injury last year.

Are you seriously saying Maric is not more important to the side then Newman? Maybe go back and watch the games we were without him last year.

Newman removed his title but he's still a general within the group. Maric, although a completely different role is not as good as newman, never has been and never will be.

Newman's disposal - now a days - is actually quite bad.

He wasn't playing much on Sat night - so wouldn't read much into that game.

I've loved him over the term, but, not above the team or club which seems to be happening now.

Question : Newman v Goodes - who do you pick?

Newman's disposal - now a days - is actually quite bad.

He wasn't playing much on Sat night - so wouldn't read much into that game.

I've loved him over the term, but, not above the team or club which seems to be happening now.

Question : Newman v Goodes - who do you pick?
Right now, after seeing what Newman puts in, Newman every day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me, Ty has the opportunity to step up as our ruckman for the future. I feel he is cooked unless he grabs this. His lateral movement and foot skills are very, very good for a 200cm big fella. I could definitely see this working between him and Griff rotating ruck and forward. It would certainly help ease Maric's work load throughout the year.

To me, Ty has the opportunity to step up as our ruckman for the future. I feel he is cooked unless he grabs this. His lateral movement and foot skills are very, very good for a 200cm big fella. I could definitely see this working between him and Griff rotating ruck and forward. It would certainly help ease Maric's work load throughout the year.
100% agree.

Face the fact he has lost his 2nd forward spot to Griff and now make a serious play for the NO 1 ruck spot or face the axe.

FWIW I am not a Ty hater, I think he has all the tools to be a very good player.

100% agree.

Face the fact he has lost his 2nd forward spot to Griff and now make a serious play for the NO 1 ruck spot or face the axe.

FWIW I am not a Ty hater, I think he has all the tools to be a very good player.
I tend to agree, Ty can definitely become that roaming ruck man who competes well in the ruck and gathers 10-15 touches around the ground. He's certainly mobile enough. I feel it's all above the shoulders for Ty, and if he wants it, and works for it, he'll get it.

bit of a report from the game courtesy of a poster from PRE, thought some would be interested in reading:

I stood on the far side of the ground and managed to see 95% of the game.
My player report...

Lennon: get him in. Is an AFL player, AFL skill, AFL standard. We need to be getting this kid into the team.

McBean: seems to be played in a different position every week, surely thats killing his game. Some weeks he has been ruck, other times the first choice full forward, today he was a half forward. One thing I have noticed (seen a few of the scratch matches) is that he seems to be working harder, but for less reward. Rarely gets hit up on the leads.

McKenzie: takes some really strong marks, but mentally doesn't have it. Tried to listen to what the coaches said to him between quarters and a lot of it was about the belief and confidence in his size. If this kid clicks mentally, then he'll make it,from what I heard pre and post draft, I think we're battling against the odds to get that side of him sorted.

Short: I like this kid, plays with a bit of zip, generally hits targets, pretty tough despite his frame. Elevate him for Petterd

Castanga: If this get ever gets some semblance of composure then we have a line breaking HBF on our list. Knows how to find the ball, takes players on, then its a lottery with what he does. When he slows down he does quite well, but otherwise is prone to blazing away and turning it over.

Hampson: typical game.

Dea: first game all season, did some good things, did some bad things.

Thomas: shook my head when his kick got smothered after the siren. Typical thomas game.

Foley: wasn't a effective as he was last week.

Drummond: Solid Richmond type of foot soldier.

Menadue: Agree with the post saying he is still trying to play TAC style footy, but geez he is a smooth mover. I think he has a lot of AFL traits, just needs to make the adjustment to playing against men.

Ellis: If he can get to 20 possessions a few weeks in a row, id play him in the senior team. 20 Corey Ellis possessions are generally going to all be silk, game breaking, or to the teams advantage. Im a believer.

TV: Played exactly how he does at AFL. Frustrating to watch.

Elton: Was a big loss when he came off injured, not sure what he did, but was looking strong down back.

Arnott: I just assume that all of the 50m penalties are against him. Historically thats been a safe bet. Keeps trying, never stops trying, but just isn't good enough. Is just a shorter, wider, younger version of Mat Thomas.

VFL Players:

There was a young kid who kicked a few goals, looked lively.

Ed Barlow was pretty good.

Wynn is an AFL standard player in my opinion. Give that guy a shot at full time professional training and coaching and we have a player.

The rest did their role with varying degrees of effectiveness.

We still need more depth in the midfield.

News is ,quite unfortunately to hear that the club don't rate TV as a ruckman:$
So he basically fights for Griffs spot or waits as a backup player if injury should strike.
He's at risk of being traded.Only if the guy could apply himself more and have a real crack:(
If he applies himself and has a crack we might be able to trade him? Sounds about right.

Round 1 Stats:
Lennon - 14 kicks 8 handballs 7 handball receives 5 marks 2 tackles 2.3
Menadue - 7 kicks 6 handballs 9 handball receives 3 marks 1 tackle 0.1
C.Ellis - 6 kicks 11 handballs 7 handball receives 4 marks 1 tackle 0.0
Castagna - 17 kicks 7 handballs 14 handball receives 6 marks 5 tackles 1.2
Short - 13 kicks 5 handballs 8 handball receives 2 marks 1 tackle 0.0

McBean - 5 kicks 2 handballs 1 marks 1 tackle 1.1
Arnott - 11 kicks 4 handballs 7 handball receives 2 marks 2 tackles 0.0
Dea - 3 kicks 3 handballs 4 handball receives 1 mark 0 tackles 0.0
Thomas - 7 kicks 17 handballs 9 handball receives 4 marks 7 tackles 1.0
Drummond - 7 kicks 8 handballs 9 handball receives 3 marks 2 tackles
Foley - 2 kicks 10 handballs 4 handball receives 2 marks 6 tackles (half game)
McKenzie - 3 kicks 11 handballs 2 handball receives 2 contested marks 8 hitouts 2.0
Hampson - 10 kicks 10 handballs 3 handball receives 8 marks 1 contested mark 1 tackle 53 hitouts 0.0

Elton - 0 kicks 1 handball
Vickery - 5 kicks 4 handballs 3 handball receives 3 marks 1 tackle 1 hitout 3.0

The bolded players are the standouts for me. Especially the first year players who all seem to have had pretty good games. Really impressed with Castagna who from memory was playing in defence on Saturday. I also don't mind the game of Hampson in the ruck. If only he could deliver that sort of game at AFL level on a consistent basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back