Autopsy Round 1 - Deja Vu

Remove this Banner Ad

Backline won't be an issue if we can be cohesive with ball in hand...

It's such a deflating loss. I was lost for words after the final siren.

It is honestly embarrassing. The chances we had, and the chances they gave us, like ****.

Lmac gave us every chance to win if we could take advantage of his intercepts and give Hall something... but our forwards were on holiday.

Imbecile? LOL

I’m not the one dribbling sh*t about a player who was far from our worst.

In fact to highlight how much of a clueless clown you are, you blamed him for the loss.

I was going to keep it civil but you are obviously a clown.
So basically, Nobes should say to Hall on the Monday review of the game -
Hey Hally, gee you turned it over a bit on the weekend. It costs us goals and the team lost morale.
But you got it 30 times and you weren't the worst on the team, so well done.
That's the loser attitude that will keep this club where it is - on the bottom.

I think someone here summed it up nicely re backline. Have to pick Walker as he's all we have.
An indictment on list management if ever there was one.
Not saying it is ideal by any stretch, actually agree but don't think retention of anyone other than taz who chose to leave would make it any better regarding defenders.

Not sure of this has been mentioned but things that make you go hmmm. Time management could have been more balanced and had an impact on the final qtr? Time on ground...

Bailey 93%
Jy 91%

Powell 83%
JHF 80%

LDU 79%
Goldy 73%
TT 73%
Greenwood 72%
Mahoney 72%

What’s the game plan.
Chip , chip , fumble , turnover

Our forwards park themselves behind their defender all the time - lazy
Playing ziebs is playing one short - he’s a dumb player.
Zoning off when they’re on fast break - pick up your man ffs
CCJ, Zurhaar, sleevo bloody hopeless
Lazzaro isn’t ready and might never be - play vfl till he’s braining em
Powell needs to do more.
One kick inside 50 was kicked to our advantage - how hard is it to kick to our players side.
Lmac brilliant
Jy , LDU , Goldy , Turner, Mahony good in patches

So basically, Nobes should say to Hall on the Monday review of the game -
Hey Hally, gee you turned it over a bit on the weekend. It costs us goals and the team lost morale.
But you got it 30 times and you weren't the worst on the team, so well done.
That's the loser attitude that will keep this club where it is - on the bottom.
I think I will save myself the trouble and hit the ignore button.

Clearly we have different opinions, and I don’t really care for yours, so easy just to put on ignore.

Just finished watching the game, immediate thoughts;

Ruck/Forward line
  • It'll be said many times this week - but we can't play Goldstein, Xerri and Coleman-Jones. I'd drop CCJ on that performance, and rotate Xerri/Goldstein ruck/forward.
  • Where was Larkey's work rate today? Unless it wasn't evident on TV, he didn't seem to want to work up the wings and provide outlets.
  • Horne-Francis showed all the signs we'd want from him today - confidence, clean hands and power. Great start from the young fella.
  • Mahony probably is the answer to the small forward position - busy and his pressure was better than the 4 tackles reflected.
  • Stephenson was garbage today. Not totally against dropping him for Polec if fit next week.
Backline
  • Ziebell got really exposed in the goal square, which surprised me. McKay is an irreplaceable player this year with Tarrant gone.
  • McDonald was BOG. Outstanding game.
  • Hall's ball use reflected a man who is coming back from a leg injury. His short kicks were too low, and resulted in far to many turnovers in the corridor.
Midfield
  • The young midfield is exciting - LDU and Simpkin have big seasons ahead.
  • We'll see better games from Powell and Thomas. A shame for Phillips who looked prime, hoping he is back by Round 4-5.
  • Greenwood is not a like for like Cunnington replacement on that evidence. We'll really miss Cunners this season.
  • Taylor is an interested one. Played well today - I'm really not sure what his position is (high HFF?). His career could kind of go anywhere from mediocre to great - hard to tell.
We're far from a complete side right now - with lots of questions about our back and forward 50. But, the midfield has a really good chance of being something special in 1-2 seasons. On to the next one.

Just finished watching the game, immediate thoughts;

Ruck/Forward line
  • It'll be said many times this week - but we can't play Goldstein, Xerri and Coleman-Jones. I'd drop CCJ on that performance, and rotate Xerri/Goldstein ruck/forward.
  • Where was Larkey's work rate today? Unless it wasn't evident on TV, he didn't seem to want to work up the wings and provide outlets.
  • Horne-Francis showed all the signs we'd want from him today - confidence, clean hands and power. Great start from the young fella.
  • Mahony probably is the answer to the small forward position - busy and his pressure was better than the 4 tackles reflected.
  • Stephenson was garbage today. Not totally against dropping him for Polec if fit next week.
Backline
  • Ziebell got really exposed in the goal square, which surprised me. McKay is an irreplaceable player this year with Tarrant gone.
  • McDonald was BOG. Outstanding game.
  • Hall's ball use reflected a man who is coming back from a leg injury. His short kicks were too low, and resulted in far to many turnovers in the corridor.
Midfield
  • The young midfield is exciting - LDU and Simpkin have big seasons ahead.
  • We'll see better games from Powell and Thomas. A shame for Phillips who looked prime, hoping he is back by Round 4-5.
  • Greenwood is not a like for like Cunnington replacement on that evidence. We'll really miss Cunners this season.
  • Taylor is an interested one. Played well today - I'm really not sure what his position is (high HFF?). His career could kind of go anywhere from mediocre to great - hard to tell.
We're far from a complete side right now - with lots of questions about our back and forward 50. But, the midfield has a really good chance of being something special in 1-2 seasons. On to the next one.
Love a lot of what you said, but the one glaring issue for me is how we are building this backline?

It’s great to have a strong midfield, but if recent history has taught us anything, flags are won by teams with an elite defensive structure.

Look at Melbourne. We’re a shambles until they decided to fix their backline by brining in Lever, May, moving Salem back, recruiting Rivers etc.

Love a lot of what you said, but the one glaring issue for me is how we are building this backline?

It’s great to have a strong midfield, but if recent history has taught us anything, flags are won by teams with an elite defensive structure.

Look at Melbourne. We’re a shambles until they decided to fix their backline by brining in Lever, May, moving Salem back, recruiting Rivers etc.
It’s pretty clear we need to target another established ready made KPD this offseason if we don’t get one we should sack list management team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - fair call.

McKay is the answer for FB (not a great start on Lewis today, but he has many credits in the bank). McDonald is a very, very good half back. Jury is out on Corr (big year for him), and Turner is okay as a BP stopper. Definitely unclear what the back six will look like in 18 months time.

Yep - fair call.

McKay is the answer for FB (not a great start on Lewis today, but he has many credits in the bank). McDonald is a very, very good half back. Jury is out on Corr (big year for him), and Turner is okay as a BP stopper. Definitely unclear what the back six will look like in 18 months time.
Well let’s hope this years No 1 is a Full Back

In one of the interviews they club stated we decided to start the rebuild with the midfield. I would say kpp forward and defence will be next.
I’m not so worried about the forward line so much, given the right structure and more games into young talent I think we have the pieces. As for the defence, other than McKay I am not sure where are next KPD comes from? Elite ball users out of the back half is a priority, but hopefully players like Goater, Perez etc can solve some of those issues?

Yes I think the forward line will improve and I believe it is even, ever so slightly but as I said it will take a lot of time. Key backs I think we will go after next as we are very thin in this area.

I was at the game and it was a seriously hard watch, felt like two average teams punch drunking each other.

I thought the defensive structures actually held up ok after BMac went down. L Mac was superb and clearly best on.

I thought we lost it once we stopped moving it the ball coming out of our D50 but I’m not sure if this was due to fatigue or they lost courage.

I thought Goldy was our 2nd most influential on the ground, threatened to blow the game open a couple of times when rucking and when forward.

Also, thought Powell was good as a wingman. First time I’ve seen him in person but he’s a very smart player and continually gets to the right spots. Massive positive from the day IMO.

Steevo, TT and Cam owe us next week, big time.

im so angry, I just want to cry……..I had a glimmer of hope for this season, it walked out on me mid third term today giving me the finger…..
I was telling friends I was bullish on north this season and so excited to watch our kids develop
I lost that feeling after our exposed practice matches form
We look just as bad as last year

The point I am trying to make you imbecile, is when Will P kicked the ball to Larkey he directed Larkey where to lead with the kick. And Larkey marked the ball directly in front and kicked the goal
That kick drew praise from Garry Lyon on a footy show as "special ".
Will had played less than 10 games.
Hall gets it 30 times and half of them are missing their intended target, or going straight to the opposition, (like today).
How many games has Hall played? Over 100 plus....

It's these sorts of issues in our team why we are last. But instead of identify them and weed it our of our team, you praise and you support it.

I would rather not debate this with you, because I don't think you understand what I am trying to say. So I don't want to waste my time.

Agreed whole heartedly. I’m not suggesting replacing Hall with either Goater or Bergman right now, but if their ability to break lines and distribute is as good as we are lead to believe then I am looking forward to that day.

Hall has always been a high turnover player. Several times today he ran into dead-ends, and turned it over by both hand and foot by disadvantaging the receiver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 - Deja Vu

Remove this Banner Ad

Back