Toast Round 1 NAB Rising Star 🌟 Ollie Dempsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Even allowing that Reid or Darcy "coulda shoulda woulda won", or that Wardlaw might still beat him:

• Reid was Pick 1
  • Darcy was Pick 2
  • Wardlaw Pick 4
  • Dempsey was from the Rookie Draft

So the fact a bloke we picked with basically a throwaway speculative pick is even competitive with other clubs' very top picks is extraordinary.

To be fair I really like Darcy too. I reckon he will prove to be a super star given his attributes. Wild that he and Ollie played u10 footy together…

There you go, that's the link. I actually looked that up the other day to see if Ollie and Darcy went to school together because Luke Darcy has pumped Ollie up way before it was fashionable.

I agree with the view. Ried if he finishes off the year strongly will be seen as someone who would have one it.

To be fair I really like Darcy too. I reckon he will prove to be a super star given his attributes. Wild that he and Ollie played u10 footy together…

In term of Dempsey, like you, I hope he can have 3 solid and 1 more outstanding game over the next month…and then I think the Astrix will be less discussed. I don’t think he has it in the bag yet as Wardlaw is a bull and some of the judges will value that highly. He has had a good year and was pretty good again on Saturday.

I have watch Ollie’s highlights a few times. A completely different player to those other stars but his brains and hands (the intercept, the overhead handball) are quite astonishing…

On the other hand, the AFL may well like the judges choosing a Rising Star who was not a top 10 draft pick and did not come from a football background. Makes the AFL look inclusive, open to all.

I agree with the view. Ried if he finishes off the year strongly will be seen as someone who would have one it.

In term of Dempsey, like you, I hope he can have 3 solid and 1 more outstanding game over the next month…and then I think the Astrix will be less discussed. I don’t think he has it in the bag yet as Wardlaw is a bull and some of the judges will value that highly. He has had a good year and was pretty good again on Saturday.

I have watch Ollie’s highlights a few times. A completely different player to those other stars but his brains and hands (the intercept, the overhead handball) are quite astonishing…

Well said 👏

Just watching his highlights, it’s also impressive with that steal and goal on the goal line that he keeps the ball alive in the first place, then is able to recover and has the smarts and speed to tap the ball out and kick the goal.

Crazy to think that a speculative Rookie pick is even in the same conversation as #1 pick Reid.
One of my mates kids knows him well from school days and says he was an athletic freak at whatever he chose to play.

You can see he has that spacial awareness and so many tricks to evade and get that precious 1/2 second to execute - that's innate and can't be taught. Exciting to see what he can do with another preseason or two under his belt. :think:

There you go, that's the link. I actually looked that up the other day to see if Ollie and Darcy went to school together because Luke Darcy has pumped Ollie up way before it was fashionable.
Luke coached them in u10. Sam (and Luke) then moved clubs slightly closer to home. Sam and Ollie played basketball together for a few years (Sam chose footy very early - good choice) and against each other in footy for a few years.

Ollie on channel 7 when interviewed by Luke did point out that after “you left” Ollies team won 3 more flags - 2 of them against Sam’s team!

They are very good mates

Let me know what could go wrong from here?

In a strong vein of form, performing defensively and offensively.
Converting shots on goal (always takes kids a while)
Maintains his flare (read tricks)
Taking the best option and nailing most.
Recognised now by team mates as a go to option
but
Yet to take hangers, as a few here were excited to see in his first year.

Is Joel Selwood our only winner? (Assuming we can’t count Chris Scott!!)

As much as I love Dempsey it doesn't quite feel right having him in the same vein as Captain…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if Reid and Darcy were still eligible, Dempsey would still be a very high chance of winning the Rising star award. His stats hold up extremely well.

H Reid - 16 games as a mid- AVE 18.7 possessions, 8 goals... Has some absolutely amazing moments and highlights.
S Darcy - 17 games. 27 goals, 11.7 possessions ave. 4.9 marks.
O Dempsey - 20 games as a wing/forward - AVE 17.3 possessions, 18 goals, 21 goal assists (8th overall)

Out of the top 3, no one really stands out. However, its easy to be seduced by some of Reid's individual efforts.. They were pretty special.. Dempsey's highlight reel is pretty good also.

So, even though some now see this as a potential 'hollow' victory, due to the 2 main competitors being ineligible, his stats hold up extremely well in their own right.

If Dempsey was a number 1 draft pick he’d be spoken about much differently, I’d prefer watching Dempsey play over Reid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I thought about it the other way. If Reid and Darcy were eligible, I doubt the media would be fawning over Ollie like they have. I still would though, hehe.

Is dempsey too old to be winning a rising star? Think they need to relook the criteria. He debuted 3 seasons ago.
Been the same criteria since it started. Under 21 and under 10 games at beginning of year. So yes can be 2 years more pre season than others (not 3 as it often reported!)

It is very rare that a “3rd year” player has won it so wouldn’t think criteria needs changing. Ie. Not a huge issue. In fact it is good to allow people with a different path (like humprhies or Dempsey) to “compete” for the award. No way a traditional top draft pick (unless injured like wardlaw last year but out for 2 years! In fact Darcy better example) would meet criteria in year 3

Understand some people will try and discredit the win but most I think will just say great story. No body before round 1 this year would have said Ollie came into the year with advantage given pre seasons!

Here's the full list of Rising Star winners

1722825439617.png

Not all winners of the RS go on to have careers likes Buckley, Goodes, Riewoldt, Mitchell, Selwood etc, but that doesn't make their achievement with the RS & throughout their careers any less meaningful

Here's the full list of Rising Star winners

View attachment 2069513

Not all winners of the RS go on to have careers likes Buckley, Goodes, Riewoldt, Mitchell, Selwood etc, but that doesn't make their achievement with the RS & throughout their careers any less meaningful
Lewis Taylor winning in 2014 over Bont is outrageous
Albeit only by 1 vote

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 1 NAB Rising Star 🌟 Ollie Dempsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back