Toast Round 1 NAB Rising Star 🌟 Ollie Dempsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think Dempsey could move into centre bounce rotations next year? Does he have a contested ball game?

Or will he always be a winger?

The challenge for him is going to be when opposition sits a negative player on him, like the Bulldogs did.

Needs one more string to his game to be truly elite. Will be interesting what they have store for him next year.

Do you think Dempsey could move into centre bounce rotations next year? Does he have a contested ball game?

The challenge for him is going to be when opposition sits a negative player on him, like the Bulldogs did.

Needs one more string to his game to be truly elite. Will be interesting what they have store for him next year.
Like most of the kids he will need a bigger frame imo for centre work, I think Scott tends to allow the kids to develop away from the physical work in the middle as much as possible

I could be very wrong

Dempsey interview on Sunrise this morning, handles himself very well in the media.

Thanks for that clip, love his manners and positive approach. Humble in thanking all the right people, too.
I'm willing to bet that "Ollie" Cameron's namesake sheep, roams far and wide and can't be penned.

Good question. Reckon he needs to consolidate himself next year on the wing (as you say he will get more attention so he needs to learn to work through it) and of course he has shown he can always go forward.

Long term though I can see him being in the guts. In some ways I see Ed Richards as an interesting comparison. Ed was a great half back flanker (sometimes forward) who is not a contest beast but is smart, composed and highly skilled. This year he went through the MF almost by accident and has excelled. Does it differently but in a way I could see Ollie do it (he will never be danger or tanner crash and bash but Ollie contested ball % is actually quite high for a wingman…~40%…as he wins it with smarts).

But I think it could be at least a couple of years away (Ed is now in his 7th year I think?)

Good question. Reckon he needs to consolidate himself next year on the wing (as you say he will get more attention so he needs to learn to work through it) and of course he has shown he can always go forward.

Long term though I can see him being in the guts. In some ways I see Ed Richards as an interesting comparison. Ed was a great half back flanker (sometimes forward) who is not a contest beast but is smart, composed and highly skilled. This year he went through the MF almost by accident and has excelled. Does it differently but in a way I could see Ollie do it (he will never be danger or tanner crash and bash but Ollie contested ball % is actually quite high for a wingman…~40%…as he wins it with smarts).

But I think it could be at least a couple of years away (Ed is now in his 7th year I think?)

He's a bit of a lightweight, fine boned like a gazelle, allowing perfect speed for a winger/forward -almost Mick Turner like. Just love how those pink boots find space. Not sure he fits the inner midfield under the why ruin a good thing rule, especially if we recruit another bull. Interesting to speculate though.

Thanks for that clip, love his manners and positive approach. Humble in thanking all the right people, too.
I'm willing to bet that "Ollie" Cameron's namesake sheep, roams far and wide and can't be penned.
Legend has it that even the best sheep dogs can't round him up. Agreed, he's a great kid. Remember watching his first couple of games in the VFL and thinking he's got something. Stoked the club has given him every opportunity this year.

Has played that role at VFL level last year, and excelled.

Almost a bit like Heeney in style of play there, starting as a mid and floating forward, or starting as a forward and pushing up into the contest.

Probably doesn't quite have the size to do that yet at AFL level, and might not have it for another year or two, but Connor Rozee is the model he should be following IMO.

Hardly a goliath, and doesn't base his game around being a bash and crash contested bull...but still starts at centre bounces and uses his superior smarts, skills, & speed from there.

Not many 21 yr olds are that assured with speeches, he did well and can only improve with time and overcoming the nerves.
Haven't ever heard a player thank God (maybe Gazza?) probably showing the light from all those years at Carey Baptist.
Good on Him.... God that is. We'll need him next week too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 1 NAB Rising Star 🌟 Ollie Dempsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back