Remove this Banner Ad

the torp

Rookie
Nov 24, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
What a great day for local football.

I went to the Belgrave v Yarra Glen game
It was a scrappy affair in the first quarter but after that the game opened up.

Belgrave moved the ball very well. In the end they had about 45 scoring shots with there full forward Mitch Collins kicking 11. They look like they will be hard to beat this year.

Anyone else go to any worth while games?

Great conditions for footy at Olinda - good crowd who all seemed to know each other.
Olinda ran over the top of Monbulk in the last qtr after a good hard contest up to then. Monbulk suffered injuries to McCormick (elbow) Klepp (ankle) & Koole(ankle), which seemed to take its toll on their run in the last qtr.
Interesting that Casey wouldn't let Cleven play for Monbulk, but allowed Rosier to play for Olinda. Are these VFL clubs a bit precious with their players? New Monbulk player Favrin played HFF and was as dangerous as his reputation. Five goals from a flank speaks for itself. Wragg was probably BOG playing in defence. Olinda would have won by another five goals without him.

Game of the day was the u18's which was won by Olinda by one point in an exciting game. Both sides deserved to win. Interesting was that Olinda's best two players were Taylor & Keegan (ex Monbulk) & Monbulk's best player was Emmett (ex Olinda).

Great conditions for footy at Olinda - good crowd who all seemed to know each other.
Olinda ran over the top of Monbulk in the last qtr after a good hard contest up to then. Monbulk suffered injuries to McCormick (elbow) Klepp (ankle) & Koole(ankle), which seemed to take its toll on their run in the last qtr.
Interesting that Casey wouldn't let Cleven play for Monbulk, but allowed Rosier to play for Olinda. Are these VFL clubs a bit precious with their players? New Monbulk player Favrin played HFF and was as dangerous as his reputation. Five goals from a flank speaks for itself. Wragg was probably BOG playing in defence. Olinda would have won by another five goals without him.

Game of the day was the u18's which was won by Olinda by one point in an exciting game. Both sides deserved to win. Interesting was that Olinda's best two players were Taylor & Keegan (ex Monbulk) & Monbulk's best player was Emmett (ex Olinda).
Good summary our unders best Emmett & Wall - very interesting

The Belgrave game was an eye-opener.
The Pies were scrappy early, but started to click and looked very good. Big boy up front was a powerhouse. They will get even better when they get to know each others names. Pies crowd = feral. They must think they have a big chance.
YG were off their game. They will improve and I can;t see any body else beating them.
That game may also be the last one of the year.

I will try to get to Wandin next week. I always enjoy a good healsville thrashing.

i think you will find that Cleven is playing in the 1st at casey and Rosier in the 2nd at the moment and only the reserves at casey had the bye this week

Dean Cleven was at the ground watching the game. He'd been omitted from Casey firsts (probably because of a returning Melbourne player). The Casey seconds had a bye. He was fit, very willing but Casey wouldn't allow him to play for Monbulk. The higher pecking order clubs need to have a good hard look at themselves.
Monbulk was forced to use both Langworthy & Hughson in the ruck. It seemed to unsettle their forward line structures. This may be their greatest problem for the season.

Dean Cleven was at the ground watching the game. He'd been omitted from Casey firsts (probably because of a returning Melbourne player). The Casey seconds had a bye. He was fit, very willing but Casey wouldn't allow him to play for Monbulk. The higher pecking order clubs need to have a good hard look at themselves.
Monbulk was forced to use both Langworthy & Hughson in the ruck. It seemed to unsettle their forward line structures. This may be their greatest problem for the season.
Well what are Monbulk going to do for the other 15 games throu-out the year when Cleven is not availible,that a crazy statement,Casey has every right not to let there players go back to local clubs.Monbulk should be proud of 1 of their own going so well at that level and i believe that is the case.

Just oUt of interest
Which vfl club is troutman playing for ?
And has he nominated olinda or sth croydon. As his home club?
Also too I was 28 goals out on the result today
Were mt eve better or wandin worse than the punters thought

From what I have been told a player in the VFL can only play for his local club if he has played less than 80% of game time in the VFL. Cleven has played all games to date with Casey, Rosier hasn't. Riseley would be unavailable for Woori due to the amount of game time he has played at Casey. Troutman was cleared to South Croydon last year, the only way he can nominate Olinda as his home club is to be cleared back to them.

Well what are Monbulk going to do for the other 15 games throu-out the year when Cleven is not availible,that a crazy statement,Casey has every right not to let there players go back to local clubs.Monbulk should be proud of 1 of their own going so well at that level and i believe that is the case.
i maybe speaking out of school but I pretty sure the below sentiments will be very similar to the powers to be at monbulk. We are certainly are all proud of Dean. I am certain the idea from the Coaching staff if he is allowed to play its a very big bonus. It is never planned & you must prepare for each match without them.
Were they pissed with Casey - not that I know of

Saw the Grand Final re-match...

First impression was how good the standard of footy in the Ovens & Murray is, after watching Corowa v Raiders at Easter.

The usual suspects dominated for the Brookers - Shipp (who looks a lot fitter this year), and Clark x 2.

Upwey looked worrying - they seemed light-on in the midfield, and had no real targets up forward.

But as you always hear from Upwey, they would have had about 9 blokes out.

Interesting to see DVH suited up before the game, but didn't see him on the field. Not sure what happened there.

But a great day there - cant say I've seen the sunshine too often on any visit to the Dome (and that includes cricket season). Kinda missed the fire not going, and the windows fogging up by half-time.

Interesting umpiring - one guy seemed keen on getting a bit carried away with things (as per usual), and the other is either getting shorter or his shorts are getting bigger!! (Although I shouldn't give him too much of a hard time after his connections did provide me with corporate hospitality).

Looking forward to getting out on Anzac Day for a look somewhere. Cricket trip next week - watching Numurkah (hopefully the floods have gone) on what's gotta be the biggest ground on the planet! Planning on stealing a golf cart from next door just to get to and from the bar!!

Go Pies!! ;-p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the Grand Final re-match...

Interesting to see DVH suited up before the game, but didn't see him on the field. Not sure what happened there.

Go Pies!! ;-p

Heard on the Radio he did his calf in the first 10 minutes

Where have we said this nowhere.Beaten by a better side

I see Michael Witkowski's name on the Woori Teamsheet despite not having been cleared from NT. I take it that he pulled out before the start of the game? Any one at that game - did he play?

I watched Powelltown versus Yarra Junction.

In the reserves, the Demons were far too good for the Eagles winning by about 12 goals from memory.

The seniors was a good match, with the Eagles prevailing by about 12 points. Powelltown had the ascendency early, but the Eagles took the lead by the half way mark. A great third quarter by the Demons saw them take (I think anyway) the lead into the final quarter, but they couldn't hold on to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Back