Preview Round 1 - St Kilda v Melbourne, Saturday March 25th, 4:35pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fine with team selection.
They are not a side you want to take underdone blokes in to play so while I love Dom, I'm fine with him missing out and Kent also.
Don't know enough about Hannan but hopefully he brings some good intensity and pressure that we often lack in the forward 50.
Weed interesting but I guess it's him or Pedo with DemonTim Smith still on rookie list.
I will be in the country, playing a praccy match against some side I've never heard of. No rookie list for me :(

Not surprised you don't know him. He was a guy that was always fringe until the second half of last year when he really worked hard on his game. He is our defensive forward "Chris Mayne" like player if you like, with a nack for kicking goals under pressure. But most importantly he has electrifying pace. This is him at 3:40 with the chase down.

Many on our board suspect he will go straight to Hunt - who I rate highly - in order to nullify his influence, as he is one of the few that can match him in pace.

Yeah he is quick! Probably a good idea playing a guy like that on Hunt. He can be extremely damaging. Like below at 5:09

Not surprised you don't know him. He was a guy that was always fringe until the second half of last year when he really worked hard on his game. He is our defensive forward "Chris Mayne" like player if you like, with a nack for kicking goals under pressure. But most importantly he has electrifying pace. This is him at 3:40 with the chase down.

Many on our board suspect he will go straight to Hunt - who I rate highly - in order to nullify his influence, as he is one of the few that can match him in pace.

Got some WHEELS! That'll be fun to watch.

If Lewis, Viney, Oliver and Gawn turn it on then we are in with a real good shot. My lack of optimism comes from rating the saints quite highly, but anything can happen round 1 really.
You're right we some how beat gws last year. I'm shocked with the Watts selection. I thought he was no good after the jtl series.

Interesting I don't know much about Hannan but have seen others comment on his tackling pressure. The thing I noticed/impressed me most about Smith (particularly JLT1) was also his tackling. Watts of course couldn't get a game in first 2 JLT's because he wasn't chasing/tackling enough or something along those lines. Seeing a trend here.

I am a bit worried about the selections of having Hannan/ANB/Smith/Weid all playing but if the overall team performance is high intensity then there is no reason we can't match/beat the saints. I still suspect we will lose but **** this should be a good game!

Yeah, JTL was a statement on standards etc, but a statement that has a negative effect on your side, like Watts not playing Round 1 is stupid. Was never going to go any differently in my opinion, regardless of what the media wanted you to believe.
Yeah I agree.
Without knowing the full details, I was always pretty confident he'd be suiting up Saturday.
And so he should.
Give me a 3/4 fit Wattsy over our next option everyday of the week!

Not being a dick... but whos Wright?

Just to add to what has already been said, for anyone who is interested, Wright was someone we on our board pretty much had in the "certain delist" pile half way through last year, as he had been on the list for years but never really made it- after a promising start to his career across HB- but then he got switched to a defensive forward role for Sandringham as possibly a last roll of the dice to see if he could give us something and he did well enough in that role to be picked for St Kilda in R12. Aside from one game he missed with an injury, he played 10 of our remaining 11 games and was part of the reason we won 8 of those games, as he helped to not let the likes of Hunt and Johannisen just run it merrily out of our forwardline with their speed.

He was rated "elite" by Champion Data defensively and it was basically his job to chase, tackle, harass and hurt (he is as hard as nails and as brave as they come), a lot like Mav Weller does. He didn't get much of the ball (only 9 disp per game) and his kicking is wonky, but he did manage to bob up for fairly regular goals, scrounged from packs and so-on (7 from the 10 games).

Most of us thought that he'd be overtaken by guys like Lonie and Sinclair this year though, now that they hopefully have the 2nd year blues out of their systems, but in all of his public outings so far this year he looks like he's really added a bit offensively to his game in the offseason, so to his credit he's kept all those nipping at his heels at bay, by seemingly taking his game to another level.

He's a good example of persistence paying.

Last edited:
He was rated "elite" by Champion Data defensively
I rate the rest of you comment way more than this part. Aren't they the same people who rated the dees' midfield as 18th in the comp despite being top 5 or 6 in most of the midfield stats?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints board talking up 2 possible late changes through injury.
The original from yesterday, most think is Weller but apparently there could be another.
Got just about everything crossed for Steven

Or Riewoldt ... bloke is that old surely his hips aren't far from going?

Whoops, thought this was the banter thread ...

Just to add to what has already been said, for anyone who is interested, Wright was someone we on our board pretty much had in the "certain delist" pile half way through last year, as he had been on the list for years but never really made it- after a promising start to his career across HB- but then he got switched to a defensive forward role for Sandringham as possibly a last roll of the dice to see if he could give us something and he did well enough in that role to be picked for St Kilda in R12. Aside from one game he missed with an injury, he played 10 of our remaining 11 games and was part of the reason we won 8 of those games, as he helped to not let the likes of Hunt and Johannisen just run it merrily out of our forwardline with their speed.

He was rated "elite" by Champion Data defensively and it was basically his job to chase, tackle, harass and hurt (he is as hard as nails and as brave as they come), a lot like Mav Weller does. He didn't get much of the ball (only 9 disp per game) and his kicking is wonky, but he did manage to bob up for fairly regular goals, scrounged from packs and so-on (7 from the 10 games).

Most of us thought that he'd be overtaken by guys like Lonie and Sinclair this year though, now that they hopefully have the 2nd year blues out of their systems, but in all of his public outings so far this year he looks like he's really added a bit offensively to his game in the offseason, so to his credit he's kept all those nipping at his heels at bay, by seemingly taking his game to another level.

He's a good example of persistence paying.
Sound like Jetta for us

Saints board talking up 2 possible late changes through injury.
The original from yesterday, most think is Weller but apparently there could be another.
Saw that. The original post was before the team came out, so I just assumed it was a hoax when the team came out and nobody was injured

Saw that. The original post was before the team came out, so I just assumed it was a hoax when the team came out and nobody was injured
They are still talking about it so hope it has some merit although I'd gladly have Weller play. Viney hurts him for fun!

Anyone else excited to see ANB?

Feel like he's been boxed in a little on exposed form, where he's been good but not exceptional.

He's only going into his third year, and has shown plenty for where he was taken.

St Kilda posters were desperate for him before the 14 draft too. Would be great to see him play a blinder.

From the St Kilda board
It's Weller being the main concern. Being put through a test this arvo. Might just not have come up in time. No pint risking him unless he's 100% fit.

On a positive note - Hogan is struggling with his back again. Will play, but under some concern.

I just feel like that Hogan update is something that we should be more across than they are ...
It could be bullshit, hence why nobody here has heard anything.

VitalDread how does Hannan go by foot? Can only figure he was picked ahead of Harmes because the latter is a dreadful kick and we can't afford that with a closed roof.

It could be bullshit, hence why nobody here has heard anything.

VitalDread how does Hannan go by foot? Can only figure he was picked ahead of Harmes because the latter is a dreadful kick and we can't afford that with a closed roof.
Very good, def improved since he first joined footscray vfl
Def can become a weapon infront of goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back