Preview Round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our trouble against St. Kilda (and the other good teams for that matter) is the first thing that seems to 'go' when we are playing poorly is getting the ball through wing/half forward. We always seem to fall to pieces there. That may be a reflection on delivery and ability to deal with the pressure further down the field, I'm not sure, but I think it is dangerous going into the game with only Mooney and Hawkins as 'tall' forwards.

Key forwards they aren't but I'd love to see Mitch Duncan and Menzell playing that lead up half forward role.

Steve Johnson is terrible at it because he cannot mark overhead and stages for free kicks. The likes of Stokes and Byrnes are too short for it.

It might also be a way to get Mitch Brown some game time too. Being an out and out key forward against St. Kilda would certainly be a baptism of fire. He might be able to get onto a few cheapies if moved up the ground a little.

I've always thought that's where we break down against the good sides.

Say what??????

I remember Johno filling in for Moons at CHF against Carlton in 2008 marked everything that came his way that night and never staged for a free.

Best game I've seen him play including the 07 Granny.Is capable.

I remember that game well. He is more than capable overhead, actually i'd say better than average.

ok dunno much about Smedts have heard alot of positive signs about him but he doesn't seem to be talked about as of yet

Geelong have accumulated a group of mediums that will be very versatile when they build there games up , Smedts is another like this. Just like SJ or Bartel he is tall enough to do the role off a key on occasion but is probably best suited elsewhere. When I watched him in the champs he played a cleanup role in the backline , very cluey in reading the ball and was elusive without being blisteringly quick His kicking doesn't appear great yet he has a good efficiency rate and had one game with the Falcons where he kicked 5 goals playing forward.
When fit , and starts to get games he will quickly lock himself into our side imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back