Autopsy Round 1 v Swans - Friday August 30th. 7:15pm @ North Sydney Oval. Broadcast on ch7

Remove this Banner Ad

Inaugural clubs that struggled 3 years ago are still going to struggle. Due to expansion teams etc.

We are one of them.

Just not enough talent and state based drafting means vic clubs that are not near the top have no chance. None.

Will change with this years drafting rule change, but it’s going to be a long haul unfortunately.

Ps. Amazing they have footage of the pies player….but not Molloy. Amazing!! Kudos AFL. Amateur hour again.
I’m still pissed about the AFL handing Molloy to Sydney outside the cap. It was obvious that the swans would develop quickly with state based drafts especially if they put the work in. On top of all the early season raids it was the last straw.

We would have been better placed coming in later and having our pick of existing players.

Good comeback by the ladies. 15 scoring shots, we shouldn't have lost this match, really...
4.11, but a lot were on the edge of players kicking ranges. Another year without tall marking forwards to enable us to have the forward structure required be to take those shots closer to goal.

Sydney way more accurate, but their shots were also much more gettable and closer to goal.

I’m still pissed about the AFL handing Molloy to Sydney outside the cap. It was obvious that the swans would develop quickly with state based drafts especially if they put the work in. On top of all the early season raids it was the last straw.

We would have been better placed coming in later and having our pick of existing players.
Nah I’m all fine with her moving to Syd.
She’s easily the most athletic and natural footballer in the league. Amazing to watch.

Such a shame she is no longer with us.

But absolutely cannot begrudge the move. Set her up for life.

The compensation was rubbish and pointless.
If you’re going to allow that type of move, then don’t apply “rules” to the compensation in what was already a horrendously compromised system.

Maybe take a look at the landscape and adjust.

Typical AFL. Literally no idea.

Nah I’m all fine with her moving to Syd.
She’s easily the most athletic and natural footballer in the league. Amazing to watch.

Such a shame she is no longer with us.

But absolutely cannot begrudge the move. Set her up for life.

The compensation was rubbish and pointless.
If you’re going to allow that type of move, then don’t apply “rules” to the compensation in what was already a horrendously compromised system.

Maybe take a look at the landscape and adjust.

Typical AFL. Literally no idea.
Yeah worked well for Molloy. The allowance handed to Sydney was a knee jerk reaction that was poorly thought out and designed to provide them with a marketable product. If Sydney wanted Molloy they should have been made to trade instead of introducing a once off rule with no notice.

With time to reflect, I think the likes of Lucy Cronin, Carly Remmos and Annie Lee will be better for the run as young players just starting out in the system. Same with Atkinson who had a baptism of fire going up against Molloy whilst still learning the sport as a whole. Getting Butler back will help shore up the defence.

On the flipside, I don't feel like we got a lot out of Fowler, who at times look slow and fumbled.

The lack of a key forward is hurting. Granted she's no exactly a big forward but this is where Morris Dalton really adds value as a marking option as well as feeding Porter, Eliza James and Grace Campbell. She'll be a big loss this season as will Ash Sheridan.

The worst way possibly to start the season, all the things we were concerned about came to pass. Hate to say it but bottom 2.

I’ll gladly say I was wrong if they improve and I’ll keep following my Irish girls especially Sarah Rowe.

With time to reflect, I think the likes of Lucy Cronin, Carly Remmos and Annie Lee will be better for the run as young players just starting out in the system. Same with Atkinson who had a baptism of fire going up against Molloy whilst still learning the sport as a whole. Getting Butler back will help shore up the defence.

On the flipside, I don't feel like we got a lot out of Fowler, who at times look slow and fumbled.

The lack of a key forward is hurting. Granted she's no exactly a big forward but this is where Morris Dalton really adds value as a marking option as well as feeding Porter, Eliza James and Grace Campbell. She'll be a big loss this season as will Ash Sheridan.

Fowler l thought would have been lucky to have survived getting delisted after last season.
She continually gets to play, despite not offering much at all. Maybe that's where the list is at. I would play Morris or Karlson next week instead...

Fowler l thought would have been lucky to have survived getting delisted after last season.
She continually gets to play, despite not offering much at all. Maybe that's where the list is at. I would play Morris or Karlson next week instead...
Morris is out for the season with an injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did think Fowler was lucky to get a new contract, especially when Casey wasn't given one who I thought was a tad stiff.
But guess we were light on forward/rucks.

I have no knowledge of her situation but Casey didn't seem to "fit in" with the girls.....she played well at times. I was amazed that they delisted her.

whether by design or their hand was forced, livingstone playing forward last night might end up solving issues in our F50 and D50

schleiser, allen and butler (when she returns) provide the foundations of a strong mobile backline that can rebound quickly following turnover - livingstones time down there is done surely

Sabrina MVP and our best I think, played smart against a more athletic opponent, saved goal, took marks, great to see.
I wouldn't give Brit the MVP, no doubt she is absolutely is committed , but she's not a smart footballer, decision making is not great. 29% efficiency even for an inside mid is terrible. Pat on the back for effort but work on these things, not MVP which green lights her to keep playing the same way.
Swans girls skill level was better generally. I thought we looked most dangerous when the long kicks from the likes of Ruby and Stacy got over the defence. To may player with no penetration in their kicks.
Set shot misses from 15m out some not making the distance is not good enough.
Enjoyable game can't fault the effort, unfortunately we are a team of still mostly scrappers with heart but not overly blessed with talent.
The exception is Fowler who should never play again, shirks everything, short steps into contests does not want any contact. Her 1st quarter was abysmal.
Time to play a permenant replacement just being tall doesn't earn you a spot.
Best for me
Sabrina
Rowe
Bonnici
Schleicher
Mcann

Yeah worked well for Molloy. The allowance handed to Sydney was a knee jerk reaction that was poorly thought out and designed to provide them with a marketable product. If Sydney wanted Molloy they should have been made to trade instead of introducing a once off rule with no notice.

No Surprise the Idiots that work at the AFL

I'm watching the replay and you can see a noticeable difference in the way the girls are playing v last year. Contested and pressure yes, but wanting to move the ball forward quick as well.
Just gotta work on the inside 50's and putting those into scores.

But there are good signs in this first game.

Last edited:
Pace on the forwardline looked good.

Fowler is done. Livingstone might have saved herself from the same conclusion by showing a bit up forward. Too slow and too much of a liability down back now.

Frederick a real positive.

Guess its no surprise, we know how the afl treats bumps these days

Guess it's no suprise that Maque Molloy gets to strike Atkinson and only get low impact dispite Muireann lying on the ground hunched over while Molloy takes a mark and kicks a goal.

$250 fine for punching someone off the ball!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 v Swans - Friday August 30th. 7:15pm @ North Sydney Oval. Broadcast on ch7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back