Preview Round 15 - Swans v Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Great preview Olian!

I disagree with your INs/OUTs here mikey.

Have managed to watch the NEAFL the last few rounds... No way should Knoll get a nod IMO. At a significant height advantage against a 2nd choice Ruck and he seemed to struggle still. Had very poor placement of his hitouts, looked out of sync and not up to speed. I don't think he contributed too greatly around the ground either. Can see his value but reckon he'll need more time to learn the zones etc IMO.

On the other hand, Cameron being pulled from the NEAFL indicates to me they were saving him in case he was required for senior selection this week should Sinkers not get up... I think he should get a gig and Sinkers should be given a week off in any event. Cal has been a workhorse since Naisy went down and I think a rest would do him (& us) good... Give Cameron a crack at first ruck for a few weeks. Give him the ultimatum & chance to prove his worth. If he is indeed looking elsewhere due to external interest (as is rumour) then it's his chance (& ours) to push his value up. If he plays well, perhaps the club sits down and re-negotiates something too. What is there to lose really?

Melican will also be required this week. The Suns have a very tall and mobile forward line and Melican (our tallest defender I believe) is going to be needed IMO. Also, no point in dropping a KPD for a few sloppy disposals. He was trying hard and pushing to the right spots. His effort and decision making seemed to me to be ok, execution was a bit off. Dropping him won't help that IMO. He needs AFL level exposure to improve that side of his game. I'd also be loathed to put MCCartin back. I don't want to see another Jesse White/Sam Reid type "throw the kid all over the place as he is developing" deal. McCartin should be played forward and settled into 1 role (initially) IMO.

Darcy Cameron unspecified injury in training was the reason for his withdrawal from this game

Which one is it...being pulled OR unspecified injury?

Yep - he is really looking the goods. Just keep him eating and in the gym for now I guess.
Fox is also back and could come in. While obviously not half the player JPK is the period he played and JPK didn't saw us moving the ball a lot better with Florent spending more time inside and just generally more speed and movement in the midfield while Parker and Hewett held it down on the inside.
It could be time for JPK to go and learn to coach on a 1 + 1 deal somewhere at the end of the year. (A new 2 year deal it is then?).

IN: Grassy, McCartin
OUT: Buddy, Melican't. (Sinkers to play forward, McCartin back)
Bit early yet for Grassy. Cameron too slow in thought and reaction. Grassy yet to understand his role at AFL level or maybe be fit enough.

Can’t see the point in Menzel ....

The fact he's one of our best field kickers and decisions makers going forward is the reason I'm playing Menzel. Needs to get it more but I always feel at ease when he has the ball.

Why are posters saying this player or that player should have a rest for a week? They are professional footballers just coming off the bye, for goodness sake.

Watching the Dawks game it was difficult to avoid the conclusion that JPK is still significantly hampered by injury. If this is the case, I would prefer he got right rather than play under duress and risk exacerbating it.

Watching the Dawks game it was difficult to avoid the conclusion that JPK is still significantly hampered by injury. If this is the case, I would prefer he got right rather than play under duress and risk exacerbating it.

As players get older, they tend to take longer to get form back after soft tissue injuries. McVeigh has taken three to four weeks after his recent injuries to get back in form.

Injury report lists Cameron with a quad injury and out for 2 - 3 weeks.

I would assume Sinclair would not play this week. Someone up to date with the concussion rules? If that is the case, Thursday will be interesting. Reid and Aliir share the rucking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep but despite all that I really think it’s just his goalkicking. He’s kicked 11.12. Nearly all of those behinds have been very gettable shots that he would typically nail in his first two seasons where he was arguably our best sharpshooter. Let’s say he nails three quarters of those behinds, and he’s kicked 19 goals for the year in 9 games. That would be huge.

That’s how fine the line is between him having an excellent season as opposed to the decent season he’s having. Just needs to start getting some reward for himself

He's never shot at better than 63% (his first year).

Reid 30.17 68%
Hayward 22.13 63%

Parker 25.9 74%
Hayward 28.18 61%

It’s not an opinion question. It’s a statistical one.

Actually it is an opinion one.

Because at no point did I say he was our most accurate forward. I believe I referred to him as a sharp-shooter. Because he's very good on the set shot, including difficult angles and in clutch moments. He's no good at bananas, and he fluffs some snaps that these boys are supposed to be practising at training, but as a set-shot he's always been very impressive. Not so this year.

How do I know Papley will be a Swans legend?

I don’t.
But I think he will.

And I think the Menzel project will be quietly scrapped next year.
Yeah I never asked about Papley. I responded to your comment about Menzel. Now ‘think’ and “The ‘fact’ that he can’t run and ‘will not’ be part of our long term future makes me meh about Menzel”

Fact...Menzel can run, I’ve seen him!
Will not...you must be in the know!
Think...is not ‘will not’!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 15 - Swans v Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back