Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

People talk like Cox was good all year. He wasn’t and at times was so poor he was dropped.

+ Cox missed a bunch of games last year with a ruptured spleen (not dissimilar to what Petracca is currently going through, although Petracca’s is clearly a worse condition with him being out for the season)

Bevo was right about this smug campaigner, look at the way he words this tweet, and the replies from other campaigner fans calling Darcy a sniper

Bevo was right about this smug campaigner, look at the way he words this tweet, and the replies from other campaigner fans calling Darcy a sniper

Wouldn't mind him kneeing Curnow in a marking contest in a few weeks. Legal of course.

What’s the problem with Tom Morris’ tweet? Nothing in it is factually incorrect, or misleading, or even spin.

There is a lot wrong with the global media at the moment. A footy journo correctly reporting injuries inadvertently caused by one of our players is the very least of our concerns.

What’s the problem with Tom Morris’ tweet? Nothing in it is factually incorrect, or misleading, or even spin.

There is a lot wrong with the global media at the moment. A footy journo correctly reporting injuries inadvertently caused by one of our players is the very least of our concerns.
It is obvious shit-stirring for clicks, come off it

That's fair enough, although a pretty simplistic.

I'd rather see Moore play on the major target as that puts him in the game more. Every time we try to get him on a secondary target they pull him out of the game by running far and wide. They won't let him be loose, like they often do with Howe and they used to do with Stewart (until recently).

However, if we do that (which means Moore will often be in the goal square at bounces etc), then that means that Howe has to play that role that Moore currently occupies in our structure (25 metres out from the goal square) as Frampton is not good enough or mobile enough. It then leaves Frampton's place in jeopardy as he can't play anywhere else well enough. That means Dean comes back in.
It's what I'd do. But it'd need to involve a lot of swapping, because when we tried that early on in the first two weeks - teams dragged Dean deep to try to isolate him, which didn't go well.

When cricketers go out to bat we just accept that they will use all sorts of padding for protection.

NFL players likewise.

In our game a few players will choose to wear helmets, be strapped up to assist with injury protection and we now have protocols in place regarding concussion.

Still I do wonder if the next evolution is taking measures to protect a players all important internal organs and spine with jumpers designed to house padding or perhaps a radical rethinking and we use something with a little more structure like protective vests and design them for AFL purposes.

When you think about it it's amazingly fortunate that no player at VFL/AFL level has died or been left permanently paralysed due to collision injuries.

.......... When you think about it it's amazingly fortunate that no player at VFL/AFL level has died or been left permanently paralysed due to collision injuries.
Neil Sachse - (Footscray 1975) - tragically left a quadriplegic after an on field collision - only his 2nd VFL game after transferring from SA.

When cricketers go out to bat we just accept that they will use all sorts of padding for protection.

NFL players likewise.

In our game a few players will choose to wear helmets, be strapped up to assist with injury protection and we now have protocols in place regarding concussion.

Still I do wonder if the next evolution is taking measures to protect a players all important internal organs and spine with jumpers designed to house padding or perhaps a radical rethinking and we use something with a little more structure like protective vests and design them for AFL purposes.

When you think about it it's amazingly fortunate that no player at VFL/AFL level has died or been left permanently paralysed due to collision injuries.
I reckon more players will start wearing light padding. Coxy wears something, presumably after his injury last year.

Wouldn't mind him kneeing Curnow in a marking contest in a few weeks. Legal of course.
Never a fan of posts like this. Could never wish harm on another player, even facetiously (which is what I hope this is)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t agree more

Inadvertently is an adverb that means "without knowledge or intent," like when you inadvertently take someone else's coat from the coatroom because it looks just like yours or fracture someone’s vertebrae in a marking contest.

I think Frammers poor game comes off the back of being moved around so much this season. Let's not forget that he was in cracking form earlier in the year before being shuffled around due to injury. He just needs some continuity to his defensive game to find some touch again.
I agree. I get that it was through necessity, but now that Checkers is back, I'm hoping our back 3 consists of Big Bill, Darcy & Charlie.

Hopefully this helps out Darcy too & gives both him & Bill some more consistency & confidence down there.

Don't completely disagree, but was there a need to even mention Darcy Moore's name in the tweet?

I agree. I get that it was through necessity, but now that Checkers is back, I'm hoping our back 3 consists of Big Bill, Darcy & Charlie.

Hopefully this helps out Darcy too & gives both him & Bill some more consistency & confidence down there.

Spot on.

Our defensive system relies so much on our pressure up the field, which was severely lacking against the Suns.

On the back of last week and our slow start on Anzac Day, i'd be expecting a huge first quarter from the boys on Fri night.

Don't completely disagree, but was there a need to even mention Darcy Moore's name in the tweet?
No need. Tom's more than aware of the commentary on social media towards Darcy that started with Petracca's injury. He's purposely inflaming it because he knows it will get clicks for him.

And when the AFL change the rules, who will complain? Tom & the oppo supporters? You bet they will.

He is intentionally being obtuse using inadvertently while understanding that people will read it as “inadvertently” - implying it was not accidental.
And this is only possible as an implied accusation because he brought up the Petracca incident.
Without the Petracca reference you would be correct.

I’m far less accommodating - the undertone is clear IMO.

Last edited:

Tom is a dweeb.

He is intentionally being obtuse using inadvertently while understanding that people will read it as “inadvertently” - implying it was not accidental.
And this is only possible as an implied accusation because he brought up the Petracca incident.
Without the Petracca reference you would be correct.

I’m far less accommodating - the undertone is clear IMO.

It’s not unreasonable for it to be news that the same AFL player accidentally breaks ribs / spleen of a genuine star of the game ruling him out for the year, and then accidentally breaks the vertebrae of another? Both with the same action over a one month period?

Would you have the same opinion if it wasn’t a Collingwood player?

There are a lot of things we are partisan about, didn’t think injuries was one of them?

It’s not unreasonable for it to be news that the same AFL player accidentally breaks ribs / spleen of a genuine star of the game ruling him out for the year, and then accidentally breaks the vertebrae of another? Both with the same action over a one month period?

Would you have the same opinion if it wasn’t a Collingwood player?

There are a lot of things we are partisan, didn’t think injuries was one of them?
Are you/were you ever a journo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back