Autopsy Round 2 v Hawthorn. Saturday Sept 7th - 1:05pm @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Schutte, a young defender from country Victoria, was selected with the Pies' third pick in the 2023 AFLW Draft and has developed well over the pre-season to earn her opportunity in only the second week of the season.

Eleri Morris and Selena Karlson will play their first games of the season having missed last week’s game against the Swans.

Muireann Atkinson (concussion), Imogen Evans (hamstring), Annie Lee (knee), and Tarni White (suspended) are the four that will miss from last week's clash.

The Saturday afternoon clash will be the first time the Pies will face the Hawks in the history of the AFLW.

It will be the first of four home games at Victoria Park this season - a ground the Pies have made their own since 2019.

The return of Davey will boost and already high-performing Pies midfield which took it right to Sydney last Friday.

Ruck Sabrina Frederick starred with 25 hit outs and 21 disposals, while Vice-Captain Brittany Bonnici recorded 24 disposals in a highly contested game.

The first bounce is scheduled for 1:05pm AEST, with Pies fans encouraged to get down to Victoria Park.

The match can also be streamed live on Foxtel and Kayo Sports.

AFLW Week Two
Saturday 07 September
Collingwood v Hawthorn
Victoria Park, Wurundjeri
1:05pm (AEST)

AFLW Debut: Amber Schutte

Collingwood v Hawthorn
BSelena KarlsonStacey Livingstone
HBJordyn AllenRuby SchleicherLucy Cronin
CSarah RoweMikala CannCharlotte Blair
HFGrace CampbellEliza JamesSarah Sansonetti
FAlana PorterImogen Barnett
RSabrina FrederickBrittany BonniciBri Davey
INTErica FowlerCarly RemmosLauren Brazzale
Eleri MorrisAmber Schutte
EMGGeorgia ClarkJordan IveySarah Ingram

Very much the Hawks I think.
Good test for this group then. We'll give it a hot crack.
First home game they'll want to do everything to win. Maybe Bri can rotate between mid and forward.
Should have beaten sydney so we'll give ourself every chance.

Bit of a Vic Park ground update for those keen to know and/or will be watching on Telly and be thinking WTF!?!

For those not living in Vic, we've had massive amounts of wind for the past 1.5 weeks (?) and as such it's very likely Saturday will be difficult for both sides unless they play it a bit smart. I've had a kick at Vic Park on Monday and Wednesday, plus I'll heading out today too.....and I can hear the wind already. If by chance you're out there today, say hello, I'll be the one kicking with my dog Bonnie (see below). I should be there from about 11 - 2

The ground is in very good nick at the moment and the some of the areas such as the goal lines and boundary lines in the player "dug outs" and in the guts that were in shocking disrepair have been fixed up with the turf they put in place and it's stitched in really, really well. On Wednesday the grounds crew were giving it a cut and I dare say the lines painted on now too, so it will be interesting to see how much they cut back those areas as they were noticably thicker and softer under foot. I'm presuming they will make everything even though.

1725568342107.png

On Wednesday there was zero puddles on the ground. The whole playing field was good under foot, with just the odd minor dog hole which they were going around fixing up. Completely nothing to be worried about though. The ball bounces back true (except for the spongy turf I mentioned above so yeah I'm guessing they will even it).

We have had rain on Thursday though so fingers crossed it has drained well.

On Wednesday I saw this (pic below) from the ground crew, which I have never ever seen before so I stopped and asked if it was for drainage. The dude goes, "no, it's to cover up yellow stains on the grass left by dog piss". er, what now!?! So yeah the AFL are wanting it look all pretty for telly (his words). And he goes they'll probably just paint over everything anyway.

I asked how many have they done and he goes about 400. er .... right ... ?!

1725568692967.png

So back to the wind.... and when it's windy, Vic Park is notorious for being dominate in areas. I've seen some poor games where teams are just caught in a wind trap grind of being stuck on the wrong wing and back'n'forth like a school yard kick to kick. It's boring, draining and frustrating for everyone.... so coaches really need to be dynamic in their game day play book and take advantage on the dominate areas.

I took a screen cap of Vic Park from google and put some basic lines in. Monday's arrow was fair dinkum a +20m wind from the start of that arrow ... because I was kicking torps from there and tbh I aint a big kick at all. On Wednesday I didn't have the lift but the wind was strong enough to carry my dribble kicks.... yes fairdink ... AND only from that area, it was still somewhat prodominate heading right of screen. The wind was so strong at times it knocked the ball out of my hands, so if players have soft hands on set shots, then grippo up or hold firmer. It was a -20 m kicking into the wind and honestly at times the ball just blew my ball drop wrong (my excuse anyway lol) ... so it won't be pretty and the online trolls will be having snipershots but that's the reality ... it's really, really difficult depending on where you are on the ground.

1725569890874.png

Attachments

• 1725567886511.png
    1725567886511.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Tbh, I can see us not winning a game this season. I don’t want to see it but the first pick in the draft would be good for next season. Transition year with the new coach. Need talls all over the ground. Both ends and in the ruck.

I hope we win the game but as long as we start getting game time into the new players and understanding the game plan I’m not going to get as annoyed as I was getting last season which was quite a bit annoyed.

Tbh, I can see us not winning a game this season. I don’t want to see it but the first pick in the draft would be good for next season. Transition year with the new coach. Need talls all over the ground. Both ends and in the ruck.

I hope we win the game but as long as we start getting game time into the new players and understanding the game plan I’m not going to get as annoyed as I was getting last season which was quite a bit annoyed.
Crazy talk. Games vs WCE, WB and GC should all be wins. Probably gonna be 3-3 or 4-2 midway through the season pending injuries. Then matches in the back half vs Port and Carlton, whose lists are definitely weaker.

Sabrina to continue her new found dominance, Ruby to improve after 1 game in a nearly a year.
Allen will play way better than last week.
Bri will be rusty but she's still Bri.
Brit to hit a target finally :) and notice her team mates around her.
Livingston forward earlier in the match.
AJ to have a blinder and kick 3
Fowler to do nothing.
Forwards to kick straight.
Pies win by 5 pts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

43c1d20c60eae5158f0497f2f6dd3d28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good crowd in at Vic Park, great weather. AFLW can be one hell of a vibe

Attachments

• 20240907_132413.jpg
    20240907_132413.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Crazy talk. Games vs WCE, WB and GC should all be wins. Probably gonna be 3-3 or 4-2 midway through the season pending injuries. Then matches in the back half vs Port and Carlton, whose lists are definitely weaker.
Are you sure about this?

Are you sure about this?
Yeah I'm sure they won't go winless, and I'm sure anybody who believes otherwise hasn't watched enough of the other teams in the comp to know better.

They "should" beat WCE, WB and GC. And they'll "probably" be 3-3 or 4-2 midway through. Kind of like how they "should" have converted more chances today, which "probably" would've made for a much closer game. Those modifiers would imply I'm not 100% sure about those particular claims though.

Yeah I'm sure they won't go winless, and I'm sure anybody who believes otherwise hasn't watched enough of the other teams in the comp to know better.

They "should" beat WCE, WB and GC. And they'll "probably" be 3-3 or 4-2 midway through. Kind of like how they "should" have converted more chances today, which "probably" would've made for a much closer game. Those modifiers would imply I'm not 100% sure about those particular claims though.

Watching them so far, we have a real skill level and just basic football awareness issues in this team.
Watching how the Hawks move the ball compared to us, the gap in skill couldn't be any bigger.
I said end of last season, the team needs to be stripped back. They should have moved on some players with trade value eg. Schleicher, Rowe, Butler, or even a Davey, and got in some good young talent, at the high end of the draft.
We seem to go in with the same core of players each season with no real success....

Ok we’ll see who’s right or wrong but I don’t qualify my comments and say should and could and take sly jabs at people. I stick by what I say and still believe that a down year is exactly what we need. We’ve lost some good players because of AFLW trade rules over previous years and picked up no one of quality.
Mid table with a couple of wins will be terrible and leave us in this same situation as the past few years. An awful season where we bottom out, grab a few choice draft picks and we regenerate while Brit, Bri and Ruby are still good players.

heck…for someone who professes to know so much and has taken it upon themselves to be the know everything aflw poster on bugfooty….holy crap you have no idea!

We easily have a bottom 3 list.
I’d argue about having only 22 fit…:but the outs won’t move the needle too much.

Maybe have a look at our scoring profile over the past 4 years….

Our list has been in decline for 3 years.
Was clear 2 years ago that we were in trouble and even more so last year.

Maybe don’t come onto an oppo board and comment with rubbish.

All three of those teams have a better spread of talent than us.

Ok we’ll see who’s right or wrong but I don’t qualify my comments and say should and could and take sly jabs at people. I stick by what I say and still believe that a down year is exactly what we need. We’ve lost some good players because of AFLW trade rules over previous years and picked up no one of quality.
Mid table with a couple of wins will be terrible and leave us in this same situation as the past few years. An awful season where we bottom out, grab a few choice draft picks and we regenerate while Brit, Bri and Ruby are still good players.
Mate wolf is an absolute parasite.
I spend a fair bit of time laughing at the posts and how they presume to know everything.

Back your own opinion and view. I agree with a lot of it.

Enjoy the season and take the positives….because it’s more chance to be 0-11 than not!!

Beep beep beep….

Onto positives.
Loved what Cronin gave. Shows real composure 1v1 and started to pick up the pace late in the game and take it on.

Lucy and Ruby will make a really good KPD anchor for a while.
She was a Super positive for mine.

Liked that the coach isn’t clear on best positions. So much so he threw names around after half time.

Clearly identified the lack of class/talent up forward and moved Allen fwd to provide the spark….unfortunately I’d rate that as Allen’s worst game I can remember.
Absolutely nothing like what she’s brought in previous years. Especially her ball
Handling and disposal.

We all know where we’re at.

I feel the coaches are clearly not sure with player positions from last year and aren’t afraid to experiment.

Intent and effort in AFLW means it’s always going to look closer on the scoreboard than it is….but the gulf in talent is insane!

Keep at it coaches.
Crossroads for a lot of players this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2 v Hawthorn. Saturday Sept 7th - 1:05pm @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back