Game Day Round 20, 2023 : Hawthorn v Saints, Marvel Stadium 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're 2-9 at centre clearances, and people think Blank being the sub is the issue? 😂
Yep - lack of midfield defence is the issue. Having an extra key defender out there wouldn’t make a difference. Sharman is going to play on Sicily regardless - just like Finn on Sinclair.

They’re smashing us with entries and pressure inside their forward line.

On the plus side, we kicked 3 goals while playing like trash
On the down side, we played like trash

Sicily is not a key defender. He's a third tall.
I get that saints have gone in small, but in hindsight, their entries mean blanck was the right option to start

A lot of people here at marvel are not happy with this. There's noone accepting this being a young side

It is part of the problem. Sam requires both Sicily and Weddle to play key defender robbing us both of intercept capability and dash out of the backline. Yes it is coming in too often but if you can rebound it out fast you can relieve pressure and catch out the opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Their entries aren't allowing for Sicily to intercept, regardless of Blanck.

We're 2-9 at centre clearances, and people think Blank being the sub is the issue? 😂

100% - ruck & mids are causing the biggest problem and mismatch right now.

That being said, the number of times Saints have had a single entry straight into a goal, with little impact from our defenders would have been helped by Blanck being in our structure. I'm not so much Blanck as sub is wrong, more he should be playing.

I like the look of Ryan - he's raw as it comes but a couple of good marks and he looks like he could be a genuine second tall with Lewis.
The small forwards doing okay - Breust, Wingard and Moore have all done something. Brockman looks high energy.

We've looked best this year with two key defenders (Blank an Sicily) and two key forwards (Kosi and Lewis). Whenever this hasn't been in place we've been a much worse team.

Our midfield is getting destroyed. Meek in the ruck and our mids are losing every contest. This is the biggest area - our mids need an absolute rocket.

It’s hard enough for our defence and made worse by key players playing stinkers. Sicily being tagged, Impey/Frost having poor ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need Reeves back. Meek just doesn't cut it

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
He has never been good, watched him a lot in the WAFL and he is the same in the VFL, plays well against lesser and smaller opponents, but is shocking at AFL level. Never understood why we went so hard at him.

Interesting quarter, not the usual centre bounce setup we have run with. Frenchie, MacDonald and Worpel is not a combo we've rolled with too often this season.

Meek needs to be more aggressive, might not have the stamina but needs to be evening that battle by throwing his weight around and taking it out of his opponent.
Midfield need to be more proactive, you aren't going to get that silver service every week. Need to be adapting and preventing those easy clearances.
Bramble has been really poor. Giving me Frost level of confidence with ball in hand today.
Defence is loose and a few steps behind.

The up and down, only team that the rollercoaster reigns supreme, hawks are very ordinary when we are down. And today we are down.

He may not be competitive elsewhere, but at least Reeves give us something in the middle. Meek is a basket case, but so to our midfield when it is not delivered to them perfectly. I am trying to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back