Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dewy’s skills training didn't help yesterday skills were atrocious.
Looked like an all round tired performance yesterday, lethargy and just no energy to run out the game and any aggression needed to win contests.

Disappointing loss after what was a masterclass in the 1st quarter(reminiscent of the Blues in Opening round)... apart from accuracy of course.

After some overnight reflection I am not too disturbed by the loss, this is an extremely close competition and very hard to stay at the top of your game for an extended period, 9 wins on the trot and a loss was "due" IMO.

Reset now for a tilt at the flag, win our remaining 2 games and we almost certainly finish 3rd/4th, looking at the remaining fixtures for the teams in the hunt I think the Swans and Cats end up the top 2, I would be more than confident that at our best we can beat either of those sides away in a Qualifying Final.

Lllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooonnnnnnnnsssssssssss!

Jo is better when he gets time in the ruck.
He is around the ball more and can get his hands on the footy.
When fulltime forward he can get starved of actually getting his hands on the ball.
I believe in Joes case this leads to fumbles and stray kicking.
However, until Hippy returns he will most likely be stuck forward.
Maybe that should change if Hippy is out again this week, even if it is limited time in the ruck.

He is still kicking goals each week with our forward line disrupted and no real ruck time in the past 3 weeks.
Suns 10 Disposals 2.2 We won by 28 points
Saints 18 disposals 4.3 We won by 85 points, so the ball was in the forward line a lot more.
Giants 7 disposals 2.1 We lost by 18. Joe only had 2 disposals in the last half and only 3 in the last 3 quarters.

Disappointing loss after what was a masterclass in the 1st quarter(reminiscent of the Blues in Opening round)... apart from accuracy of course.

After some overnight reflection I am not too disturbed by the loss, this is an extremely close competition and very hard to stay at the top of your game for an extended period, 9 wins on the trot and a loss was "due" IMO.

Reset now for a tilt at the flag, win our remaining 2 games and we almost certainly finish 3rd/4th, looking at the remaining fixtures for the teams in the hunt I think the Swans and Cats end up the top 2, I would be more than confident that at our best we can beat either of those sides away in a Qualifying Final.

Lllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooonnnnnnnnsssssssssss!
Just a bump in the road.

To the eye test it seems since Will has come back & Cam seemingly getting more mid minutes, that Berry’s minutes in the guts have come back a bit. I’m not sure I’m totally on board with that. Berry playing as a full time mid has shown the capability of being a match winner both offensively and defensively.

I’m not sure what the answer is as it’s hard to fit everyone in, but I think against the best big bodied mids we need him in there full time.

Last edited:
To the eye test it seems since Will has come back & Cam seemingly getting higher mid minutes, that Berry’s minutes in the guts have come back a bit. I’m not sure I’m totally on board with that. Berry playing as a full time mid has shown the capability of being a match winner both offensively and defensively.

I’m not sure what the answer is as it’s hard to fit everyone in, but I think against the best big bodied mids we need him in there full time.

Biggest question is the defensive side because Ashcroft and Rayner offer little

Berry has been good on the wing though

Jo is better when he gets time in the ruck.
He is around the ball more and can get his hands on the footy.
When fulltime forward he can get starved of actually getting his hands on the ball.
I believe in Joes case this leads to fumbles and stray kicking.
However, until Hippy returns he will most likely be stuck forward.
Maybe that should change if Hippy is out again this week, even if it is limited time in the ruck.

He is still kicking goals each week with our forward line disrupted and no real ruck time in the past 3 weeks.
Suns 10 Disposals 2.2 We won by 28 points
Saints 18 disposals 4.3 We won by 85 points, so the ball was in the forward line a lot more.
Giants 7 disposals 2.1 We lost by 18. Joe only had 2 disposals in the last half and only 3 in the last 3 quarters.
The more the ball is in Joes hands the better imo.
Need Hippy back asap

To the eye test it seems since Will has come back & Cam seemingly getting higher mid minutes, that Berry’s minutes in the guts have come back a bit. I’m not sure I’m totally on board with that. Berry playing as a full time mid has shown the capability of being a match winner both offensively and defensively.

Could not agree more, Jarrod was so so good in the guts.

Solution could be to get Harry Sharp in on the wing, who goes out is the million dollar question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest question is the defensive side because Ashcroft and Rayner offer little

Berry has been good on the wing though
Yeah I’m wondering if he could be the one to go in there when those two have their run. Those 2 can just hunt the ball whilst Berry is the designated defensive mid.

Whilst his form has been fine out on the wing he was a big reason for our original turnaround in form during the middle of the year playing on ball.

Could not agree more, Jarrod was so so good in the guts.

Solution could be to get Harry Sharp in on the wing, who goes out is the million dollar question.
Was really surprised we didn’t pull that string yesterday.
It appeared to me that we made no real changes yesterday when clearly things weren’t working.

End of a 9 game streak... Not the end of the world.
Hipwood would have been the difference. He's in my best 22... By a fair way TBH.
He's either in for Joyce with or without Paine, forward or back.
We will want to win the next 2, and finish in a position on the ladder that reflects where we are.... In reality.
#top FOUR.#MYEARHURTS

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back