Round 24

Remove this Banner Ad

St. Kilda losing to North? Unlikely. Would think Freo have a good chance of beating one of Hawks and Blues over at Subi. Also think Saints are a good chance against Carlton. Freo should probably beat Dogs and North, too.

If it was played at Etihad, I'd back the Saints to beat us, but at the MCG I reckon we'll get over them.

We get the last game of the year again, but I can see why this time. They just have to reward the teams certain to get higher ranking finishes with the longest breaks before finals.

If North scrape into the bottom of the eight they'll only have one day's rest less than their opponent, which is not a big deal - and it's better to play late Sunday in Melbourne than be on the road.

Freo/Dogs is the only game that looks to be played unnecessarily early, but with final position and travel needs for Freo being an unknown I guess that's a reasonable call.

Nice post. Very well balanced from a supporter of a team who is playing the latest game of the round, whilst still in the finals hunt.

- WCE have gone out in straight sets in 07 with a better team against a worse team than Carlton is now

You do realise that we had No Judd, No Cousins, No Kerr and Wirrapanda was injured in the warmup, right? We werent a better a team with them missing. Yet we still managed to Draw against the Pies.

West Coast versus Adelaide more likely to be Saturday night, Eagles already at home and Crows won't play finals. Gold Coast versus Hawthorn to be the 1pm game and Sydney versus Brisbane the twilight game.

Think I got this one right. Would not mind seeing two Friday night games in the final round though, probably from 2012 this'll happen given the extra game per round.

You do realise that we had No Judd, No Cousins, No Kerr and Wirrapanda was injured in the warmup, right? We werent a better a team with them missing. Yet we still managed to Draw against the Pies.

Also, think Hansen did a hammy early in the game and he was vital to your structure.

The real question is does the AFL need to lock it in now? Another couple of weeks would be great in terms of getting a true sense where teams will finish. Essendon, North, Freo, Sydney have a lot of question marks over them in terms of making/missing the 8 (have deliberately left the Saints out of this as they look like the only certainty of teams from 6 and down). Freo are definitely looking doubtful and have a tough run home.

Initially I was a bit pissed seeing when north was scheduled to play, but if it was necessary to make the call today, it was probably the right one if we absolutely must have a late Sunday game to honour the TV contract. Depending on the next couple of weeks, this view could change.

I love how often people say that the Minor Premier will play their QF on the Sunday.

The AFL have ended this practice, see last year. This is why they put the Coll game on Friday night. The Geelong QF will be Friday night, the Coll QF Saturday night.

I love how often people say that the Minor Premier will play their QF on the Sunday.

The AFL have ended this practice, see last year. This is why they put the Coll game on Friday night. The Geelong QF will be Friday night, the Coll QF Saturday night.

Agree, this is almost certain to happen.

It was never a permenant practice anyway.

The tradition is that the minor premier deserves a minimum 7 day break, not that they play on Sunday.

The fact that 1 plays 2 in round 24 made the Friday schedule a no-brainer. It gives Collingwood an 8 day break, Geelong a 7 day break, and the tv networks the plum games in the plum timeslots.

1.10pm: Gold Coast v Hawthorn at Metricon (Fox)
2.10pm: Western Bulldogs v Fremantle at Etihad (Ch 10)
4.10pm: Sydney v Brisbane at SCG (Fox)
7.10pm: Carlton v St Kilda at MCG (Ch 10)
7.10pm: West Coast v Adelaide at Patersons (Fox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back