AFLW Round 3 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That was like watching the "spoonbowl" last week, entertaining but it's also obvious why they are near the bottom of the table as their skills are about 2 or 3 levels below the league's top teams.

Last edited:
Think it was the coldest it had ever been for a WB AFLW game there, which arguably was the biggest factor for the 1.5k crowd.

Summary of games last year when they were also no good...
Fri 7.15pm (22°C) vs St Kilda: 2,807​
Fri 7.15pm (11°C) vs Carlton: 2,163​
Sat 1.05pm (23°C) vs Sydney: 2,982​
Sat 1.05pm (17°C) vs North: 2,608​

Pretty much a perfect correlation between temp and attendance. Dogs have two more Whitten Oval games left for the season, both Friday 7.15pm within the next month, so it'll be touch-and-go to see if that new grandstand can fill up.

I mean, that's assuming they want people to attend. This flavour of hospitality perhaps sends mixed messages:
gettyimages-2170750859-612x612.jpg gettyimages-2170751005-612x612.jpg

3 of those games last year were hosting other Melbourne sides whilst the other was an interstate team with a strong Melbourne and AFLW fan base. All in all, last night's crowd number likely makes sense considering the Bulldogs being bottom of the ladder, West Coast being not much better and it being a school night as well.

I think they'll do much better with the remaining g Friday night games.

Something else to consider, it's around 3 times what a standalone NRLW game at Leichhardt got (albeit in torrential conditions).

3 of those games last year were hosting other Melbourne sides whilst the other was an interstate team with a strong Melbourne and AFLW fan base. All in all, last night's crowd number likely makes sense considering the Bulldogs being bottom of the ladder, West Coast being not much better and it being a school night as well.

I think they'll do much better with the remaining g Friday night games.

Something else to consider, it's around 3 times what a standalone NRLW game at Leichhardt got (albeit in torrential conditions).
If it's mostly about opposition, that wouldn't explain why the crowd for the game vs Carlton (much bigger Vic fanbase than StK/Syd/NM) was down.

Think it was the coldest it had ever been for a WB AFLW game there, which arguably was the biggest factor for the 1.5k crowd.

Summary of games last year when they were also no good...
Fri 7.15pm (22°C) vs St Kilda: 2,807​
Fri 7.15pm (11°C) vs Carlton: 2,163​
Sat 1.05pm (23°C) vs Sydney: 2,982​
Sat 1.05pm (17°C) vs North: 2,608​

Pretty much a perfect correlation between temp and attendance. Dogs have two more Whitten Oval games left for the season, both Friday 7.15pm within the next month, so it'll be touch-and-go to see if that new grandstand can fill up.

I mean, that's assuming they want people to attend. This flavour of hospitality perhaps sends mixed messages:
View attachment 2109301View attachment 2109303
You b#***** how did you find me?

(That's me holding the sprinkler to stop it spraying my kids sitting on the beanbag in the backgroud.)

Pretty good start by both teams. Could turn out to be a bit of a jinx but for some reason this ground regularly produces well-above-average AFLW spectacles... except for that Grand Final one time, but those don't count.

Some would say it's because the Lions are a top team, or the weather in Queensland is good. But that reasoning doesn't really hold up so well when you think about typical home BL games beyond Springfield.

NM looked very organised all over the ground last year except in the forward line where Sam Wright was the coach.
He seems to have taken that to Collingwood as head coach because they now look disorganised everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodder hasn't really kicked on. Good forward pressure but the goals have dried up for a while now and doesn't seem to have the forward nous of someone like Bodey.

Bodey be soft like Charmin, she'd better have some forward craft about her.

Hodder's natural position is on ball because she's a true hard nut. Will get more opportunity to "kick on" as Anderson gets older.

Three pretty big "where are we at" games for six teams today.

Sydney: without Molloy and Morphett, big pressure on Montana Ham after not having much impact last week.
Richmond: with Sheerin back, a loss here would be worse than the R1 result.

Carlton: a 1-2 start, with the only win a dubious 1-pointer, would deserve (but won't receive) more scrutiny than Collingwood is likely to get for losing to Brisbane in Queensland.
Geelong: without Prespakis and Scheer, a convincing win will show they've still got enough mental resolve to capitalise on hard-earned opportunities, which they ever-so-slightly failed to adequately manage in their otherwise strong opening fortnight.

Port Adelaide: a win today makes the start of their season look real good, considering injuries, and would render the "watch out for 2025" talk worthwhile.
Fremantle: seriously old team, obviously not a serious contender, but not without a serious shot at making finals if they just win these games against younger kneecapped opponents.

Weather is supposed to be fine (but by no means pristine) in Coffs Harbour and Adelaide. The rain in Melbourne might mostly clear in time, though the attendance will be knocked down regardless--sweltering top of 11°C forecast, lol.

Greiser can't be serious with that set shot effort, but Brennan bails her out... and the Tigers have started as expected, which is real nice looking footy.

Can barely finish a post before KB slots anothery.

Better start by the Swans in Q2 but it seems short lived, as Richmond slice 'em up with an end-to-ender in response.

Btw Chyloe Kurdas last night in commentary said "we don't like to see that in AFLW" regarding argy-bargy, fisticuffs, whatever ya want to call it... Uhh wot? Who doesn't love that shit. More of Yassir v Gardiner pls, the little terriers scrapping is a thing of BEAUTY.

Good quarter. 2nd half should be interesting. Anybody deterred by last round's snoozers are missing out.

Based on today and last night, you'd assume the memo went out to the umpires during the week: get the game moving. But who knows.

I've been impressed with the quality of the Swans Tigers game so far.

Even the Swans aren't playing bad footy, they're just being beaten by a better team.

Seen several passages where it's transitioned one end to the other with good kicks and strong contested marks, and then back again.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

And on a good note, for me anyway, another bit of evidence for the, West Coast might be a lot better than expected, theory.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The way Richmond are playing today is far different than the rubbish they dished up in the 1st half vs WC.

On expected scores they should have won the game vs WC by a margin.

WC pressure and setups are very good though so they'll compete hard but I would lock them into 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back