AFLW Round 3 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
based on skill alone, Saints ball movement from d50 to f50 is right up there. I feel like a team from Adelaide for example just uses brute force and athleticism often - where as Saints are very methodical and look for targets. Good to watch.

based on skill alone, Saints ball movement from d50 to f50 is right up there. I feel like a team from Adelaide for example just uses brute force and athleticism often - where as Saints are very methodical and look for targets. Good to watch.
We won't know until round 6 whether it can stand up against an actual top side though. Hard to have any idea where some teams stand at this stage of the season with the fixture so lopsided

So, to be clear... which woman is the longest serving captain of an AFL club?

Ah ok so you are changing from longest serving captain to longest serving captain of a club.

There is a difference.

The Essendon/St Kilda game was a step back in time to the early seasons when the skills were frustratingly poor but the determination and a couple of bright moments from the St Kilda players got them over the line.

The funniest thing was the commentator saying at fulltime that "The Saints are for real", I don't think they would be all that excited by their performance and would want to improve a lot if they want to be a genuine finals contender.

We won't know until round 6 whether it can stand up against an actual top side though. Hard to have any idea where some teams stand at this stage of the season with the fixture so lopsided
While I think we are still a fair bit behind the cream (Crows,Roos,Lions) and will get beaten by the more talented teams

It has been great to see the progression of our team since we came in to where we are now its been a real joy

While I think we are still a fair bit behind the cream (Crows,Roos,Lions) and will get beaten by the more talented teams

It has been great to see the progression of our team since we came in to where we are now its been a real joy
Yeah, good North man Nick Dal Santo has done a great job making them competitive

Ah ok so you are changing from longest serving captain to longest serving captain of a club.

There is a difference.
Of any AFL club, one or more, is what I mean. The answer is Daisy Pearce.

And that leads perfectly into my theory about Casey Fields, alluded to on the first page.

It has certainly earned the reputation as a horror ground for away teams. But the truth is, without the brilliant leadership of Pearce, the Dees are 2-6 there!

Not a recent trend either, given their biggest all-time conceded score was at Casey back in 2019, Daisy's pregnancy season. A record which stood until today.

The quarter time score in the GWS/Gold Coast game (21-13) isn't too different to the fulltime score in the Essendon/St Kilda game (23-15). The Bombers and Saints played an uninspiring, dour game with slow ball movement and poor execution, the Giants and Suns are playing fast, free flowing game with very good skills and exciting ball movement.

Of any AFL club, one or more, is what I mean. The answer is Daisy Pearce.

And that leads perfectly into my theory about Casey Fields, alluded to on the first page.

It has certainly earned the reputation as a horror ground for away teams. But the truth is, without the brilliant leadership of Pearce, the Dees are 2-6 there!

Not a recent trend either, given their biggest all-time conceded score was at Casey back in 2019, Daisy's pregnancy season. A record which stood until today.

Sorry TW

Daisy was Melb captain from 2017-2018. She then left to have babies. Elise O’Day and Shelley Scott then shared the captaincy in 2019. Daisy came back as captain in 2020 until 2022 then she retired and Kate Hore took over in 2023.

Katie Brennan has been captain every single season since 2017 firstly with the Bulldogs then with Richmond, longer than Daisy.

Sorry TW

Daisy was Melb captain from 2017-2018. She then left to have babies. Elise O’Day and Shelley Scott then shared the captaincy in 2019. Daisy came back as captain in 2020 until 2022 then she retired and Kate Hore took over in 2023.

Katie Brennan has been captain every single season since 2017 firstly with the Bulldogs then with Richmond, longer than Daisy.
Ah ok, I thought Daisy became captain of Melbourne in 2013... maybe I'm wrong?

AFLW women in a professional environment now, but some of their basic skills and decision making really needs to improve. The amount of shots on goal missed from 10m or 15m out really is unacceptable as is the continuous fumbling seen by some of the teams / players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Competition didn’t start until 2017.
I thought we all happily agreed time between appointment and succession is what matters when determining the length of a captain's service.

AFLW women in a professional environment now, but some of their basic skills and decision making really needs to improve. The amount of shots on goal missed from 10m or 15m out really is unacceptable as is the continuous fumbling seen by some of the teams / players.
Professional "environment"... Meaning that, no, they're not fully professional and, shock horror, things like skills in the meantime are not all they could be.

Different story with the head coaches though, who are all fully pro and, for the most part, ****ing shit. But rarely criticised accordingly, unlike the players.

I thought we all happily agreed time between appointment and succession is what matters when determining the length of a captain's service.
You are a petty individual, you are proven wrong, then you try and change the parameters. Your original "gripe" was:

Unimportant gripe, but I've heard it said about 100 times this year: "Katie Brennan - longest serving AFLW captain"...

ehhhh, sorta? Actual matches skippered is the relevant stat, I'd have thought.

Ellie Blackburn - 64
Emma Kearney - 61
Chelsea Randall - 60
Katie Brennan - 55 including today
Daisy Pearce - 55
And now you are trying to include the exhibition games just so those who are calling Katie Brennan the "Longest Serving Captain in the AFLW" can also be wrong. But the Exhibition games are not officially a part of the AFLW and therefore shouldn't be included.

It's pathetic and embarrassing.

You are a petty individual, you are proven wrong, then you try and change the parameters. Your original "gripe" was:

And now you are trying to include the exhibition games just so those who are calling Katie Brennan the "Longest Serving Captain in the AFLW" can also be wrong. But the Exhibition games are not officially a part of the AFLW and therefore shouldn't be included.

It's pathetic and embarrassing.
w0wwww playing the man, not the ball. hurty my feelings.

Are you saying a captain's tenure only begins once having actually taken to the field in that role for an official game (rather than exhibition, praccie, etc.)?

w0wwww playing the man, not the ball. hurty my feelings.

Are you saying a captain's tenure only begins once having actually taken to the field in that role for an official game (rather than exhibition, praccie, etc.)?
I'm saying that the original statement made by the various commentators relates to Katie Brennan's tenure as a Captain in the AFLW, and only in the AFLW, but you are trying to expand this to include exhibition games because you have been proving wrong.

Grrr I'm so irritated!!!

I'm saying that the original statement made by the various commentators relates to Katie Brennan's tenure as a Captain in the AFLW, and only in the AFLW, but you are trying to expand this to include exhibition games because you have been proving wrong.
I'd just like to know when the captain's tenure begins. Is it when the appointment is made, or is it when the first official game as captain is played?

Kate Hore with 10 touches last week, and 14 yesterday at 43% DE... 1 goal in the last fortnight. Key players out and the captain doesn't stand up: expect to get smashed.

Ordinarily one should say a top player doesn't have two bad games in a row. Maybe leniency is given, on the strength of her R1 and the fact Melbourne have had a tough start opponent-wise, and probably all sins are forgotten if the Demons go over to WA and rightly smack Freo on Saturday.

Doesn't answer my question... but yeah, that was her fifth year as Melbourne captain.

All captains are appointed/reappointed every year.
Inaugural means first time. Wouldn’t say inaugural if they considered her as carrying on the captaincy. Means about as much as her captaining the Darebin Falcons.

Inaugural means first time. Wouldn’t say inaugural if they considered her as carrying on the captaincy. Means about as much as her captaining the Darebin Falcons.
No debate she was captain for their inaugural AFLW season. She was also captain in the four years prior... no debate about that either!

Try answering the question you, and others, keep avoiding:

When does the captain's tenure begins--is it when the appointment is made, or is it when the first official game as captain is played?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back