Review Round 6, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We shouldn't bother matching the offers for Berry after tonight. I'd rather be compensated with someone that can actually play.
Of all the people to have a dig at after tonight...

Probably an irrational reaction on my part but I can’t have Bez in the best when he sprayed it out of bounds on at least 3 occasions. Sort of game where you can’t afford to concede possession like that.
He and Joe seemed like the only players actively trying to get it forward so that’s why he’s in my votes. I wish he wasn’t in my votes..

Just dumb football.
Jack Payne should just be told to punch, he has zero football iq.
Jimmy Tunstill had a go but not even close to the level required to play afl.
What a horrible night.
As I said, Payne is comedy bad. He is a classic example of Fagan's addiction to Brutus Beefcake defenders who just aren't that clever. Starcevich is another example of a player who fits that mold. Just not smart enough. He was murdered in the Grand Final and has pretty much stunk it up ever since. He will get a Mulligan though because he will NEVER be dropped under Fagan. You would have though conditions tonight would have suited Rayner, but he was another who just didn't stand up.

McKenna should come in for Starcevich, Gardiner must go back to defence to replace Payne and I would not mind seeing Prior get another crack. Hats off to Answerth, Wilmott and Lester tonight. They were players who busted a gut all night. Answerth, in particular, started a bit shakily, but got better as the game went on.

Last edited:
What pleased me last week was the ferocious tackling and pressure.

What annoyed me tonight was the lack of ferocious tackling and pressure - actually this has been missing from all games this year except for last week. Going to be a long year ahead if this continues.

Fagan is “next level” dumb sometimes. Did he notice it was raining? Why were players chipping it around like it was a dry day? Metres gained boys, as I would have said to the Under 12’s. Did he not have access to a weather report? Why go in with his patented dumb and dumber three tall forward routine. Hipwood was beyond terrible tonight - will get Mulligan. Rayner reverted to type. Starcevich is massively overrated and Payne is flat out comedy hopeless. Mulligans all round.

Seriously Fagan is an appalling game day coach because when he misreads situations he misreads them monumentally.
Players were kicking long at times, lots of dump kicks out of defence
All players make mistakes, Neale kicked straight to Cats player, they run it down and goal
Hawkins marks outside 50 on an angle and the defence set up as if he’s having a shot, Cats player all alone in front of goal, takes uncontested mark and then goals
Players are responsible for these errors not the coaches

Just end this Gardiner forward bullshit, he is no good. You can’t have a forward who is there to compete and no danger of ever kicking a goal. Sick of knowing as soon as Charlie marks it more the 35 meters out he is going to spray it or not make the distance. Payne was disgusting tonight, Geelongs best player to half time. Answerth shows what a bit of want and determination can do, maybe our least talented but somehow nearly our best player tonight. It’s all too hard for this group, we wanted everything so bad the last 4 years and now they barely give a whimper when the games on the line. Really disappointing.

I’m going to be honest, if it doesn’t rain we probably win? Had so much ball in the first half and our defence wasn’t giving them an inch; we just tried to be too cute in the wet and kept turning it over.

Pretty woeful from a decision making point of view in the wet, but are we ever going to play in a game like that again this year, or next even? Probably not.

I’m happy to let that one slide, just frustrating because leaves us with almost no margin for error now if we want to make top 4.

Can see us comfortably beating GWS next week as we did Melbourne last week lmao

Just end this Gardiner forward bullshit, he is no good. You can’t have a forward who is there to compete and no danger of ever kicking a goal. Sick of knowing as soon as Charlie marks it more the 35 meters out he is going to spray it or not make the distance. Payne was disgusting tonight, Geelongs best player to half time. Answerth shows what a bit of want and determination can do, maybe our least talented but somehow nearly our best player tonight. It’s all too hard for this group, we wanted everything so bad the last 4 years and now they barely give a whimper when the games on the line. Really disappointing.
100% Correct.

It is eye opening to come up against a professional team who does the smart thing 90% of the time and has enough top end talent to get results. I don't think Geelong are that good this year but their approach and system will get them far enough that the cream of their list will give them an edge against most opponents.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Payne is still working his way back from injury, he deserves a pass, has massive upside
People may need to adjust to the fact that early last year was as good as it gets for Payne. Someone remind me, how long was the contract he signed? What an appalling decision that was.

Wait, are we back on the tank wagon.
Animation Love GIF by ArmyPink

tank GIF
Tonight felt a bit more like this kind of tank.....

1713617788715.png

Payne is still working his way back from injury, he deserves a pass, has massive upside

That's fine but getting form in VFL is also OK. Put Gardiner back and put one of young forwards in the team. I don't care which one.

Was just luck tonight and things went the Cats way. Can’t blame the team for that loss.

Looking forward, I don’t think we will do well against GWS with all the injuries we have.
The games after that are Gold coast, Richmond, Crows and Hawthorn.

If we lose any of these games, all of which are winable, I’m writing us off this year. Next year I’m hopeful for, this year has been bad.

McKenna should come in for Starcevich, Gardiner must go back to defence to replace Payne and I would not mind seeing Prior get another crack. Hats of to Answerth, Wilmott and Lester tonight. They were players who busted a gut all night. Answerth, in particular, started a bit shakily, but got better as the game went on.
Is Lester worthy of praise tonight? Excellent first quarter, but had a few blunders after and was barely involved with ball in hand (7 touches, 2 spoils, 0 tackles). Contributed to Cameron going goalless which is a tick, but I thought Answerth and Mot were significantly more impactful.

Back